Running Hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gousha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 4wd with a 5.7 hemi, it ran hot the other day while idling with AC on at a store (99 degrees outside). Cooled down added water and drove home. I think thermostat might have stuck. Since that time the temp gauge has ran a few degrees hotter and if idle for longer than 5 to 10 seconds temp begins to climb again. Am I dealing with a thermostat issue or a water pump issue? I have not found any leaks anywhere but water level seems to decline. Or is smething else going on here?
Thanks in advance to your replies.

OP
OP
G

Gousha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone care to share thoughts

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The thermostat is so quick and easy to change on these trucks that I would start there. You won't even lose a gallon of coolant swapping it out.

Check if the fans are in working order too and go from there.

How many miles on the truck now?

OP
OP
G

Gousha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
172,000. Purchased used, so I am not sure about the age of parts

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thermostat is definitely the easy and cheaper option so a good start.

Mine would do the same thing and it was in fact a bad water pump, so it wouldn't surprise me if you end up having to do that as well. If you have to get a new pump, buy OEM.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Definitely OEM water pump is the way to go.
Perhaps also look at putting in a 190 deg t-stat, too.
If there is a bleeder/air hole on the t-stat flange, make sure to index it in the 12-o'clock position when installing.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine just started this. 160k. I started with adding Kool it to the system. Its helped, but it needs all of its cooling system freshened up.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 4wd with a 5.7 hemi, it ran hot the other day while idling with AC on at a store (99 degrees outside). Cooled down added water and drove home. I think thermostat might have stuck. Since that time the temp gauge has ran a few degrees hotter and if idle for longer than 5 to 10 seconds temp begins to climb again. Am I dealing with a thermostat issue or a water pump issue? I have not found any leaks anywhere but water level seems to decline. Or is smething else going on here?
Thanks in advance to your replies.

Hello Gousha,

Our team would like to apologize for your trouble. We would also suggesting seeking a diagnosis from one of our authorized dealers for a solutions to your concern.

Naudia
Ram Cares