03 Ram 1500 engine stalls and the shift selector light disappears. Turn key to off and it starts right back up. Stalls instantly. Runs awesome 260,000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buyandsell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
03 Ram 1500 engine stalls and the shift selector light disappears. Turn key to off and it starts right back up. Stalls instantly. Runs awesome 260,000 miles. Intermittent. No check engine light. When it stalls while driving there is a really quick shutter and dead. The shift selector square indicator that shows what gear it is in disappears. Don’t know if that’s related but no check engine lights. I have ram codes there is none.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 3

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you have a connection issue test alternator and battery, Clean all grounds, Check wires under tipm make sure they are clicked in all the way/not damaged. I would aslo have someone with a decent scanner scan the truck no not your cheap autozone scanner.

OP
OP
B

buyandsell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had my buddy send me the ground location schematics and cleaned all grounds. Also checked the wiring bulk head near battery. And disconnected ecm and reconnected. What is baffling is when this happens my selector circle on the dash disappears. Can the ignition switch cause this as it does have 260k

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had my buddy send me the ground location schematics and cleaned all grounds. Also checked the wiring bulk head near battery. And disconnected ecm and reconnected. What is baffling is when this happens my selector circle on the dash disappears. Can the ignition switch cause this as it does have 260k
I mean sure it could be a ignition thing but when you juggle/move ignition a bit does it happen? Normally when the indicator doesnt show means the tcm or ecm loses communication its honestly probably something stupid have the batrtery load tested how old is it? and see with the truck running what the charge voltage is.

OP
OP
B

buyandsell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No I have banged and beat my column nothing happens. Something else the day this started. I was going up a 6% grade and it was so fast I couldn’t tell if it was the road or truck but it felt like a bump ridge in the road. But I drive this a few times a week and it wasn’t the road. That same day is when this started. It almost seems to me the ecm is resetting. There is a strong slam like the band in the transmission is engaging for a slip second. Same jerk as if the abs engages but this is not the abs. Tonight I was letting it idle while I was using my modus scanner. And it just dropped dead instantly. No indicator and starts right back up but I have to turn key off then start. I did try to start it tonight without turning to off. It did nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500