06 quad cab factory system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nightstar57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7liter
hello folks,i am new to this forum so please bear with me on the dumb questions.. i have owned many dodge trucks over the years and have always replaced the factory sound system with something better.I just traded in my 98 ram1500 laramie for a 2006 ram quad cab.The factory system in it sucks and i will tear it out soon.. from reading up on this unit i see its going to be a rough one to swap out..i may leave the radio in place and put a new deck underneath it.. anyone do this already ?? What size speakers are in the doors?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.. thanks, Mike

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hey Mike...welcome. There's no such thing as a dumb question.

You can replace that head unit with any brand you like and if it's not a full double din now, all you need to fit that size unit is a double din bezel. Lots of them on eBay and they are also available from your dealer at around twice the price as you'll find online. :D

I went from this:

2007-06.jpg

To this:

Audio42.jpg

Instead of replacing the amp, you can use it to send a digital signal to a new, more powerful amp. I installed my JL amp under the front passenger seat.

For aftermarket amps and head units, wiring harness adapters from PacAudio will be needed. And, if you have steering wheel controls, there's one more for that too.

Your speaker sizes are:

Dash - 3.5" (you may or may not have wiring up to this location depending on what system you have now)

Front doors - 6x9

Rear doors - 6.5"

You are not limited to these sizes. You can go round in the front doors and up to 4" in the dash, or smaller if you just want a set of tweeters up there. The best place to mount the tweeters, IMHO, is in that section of plastic in the front corner of the front door.

There are a lot of options and we haven't even considered the subwoofer and amp yet. :D

Good luck and if you have more questions, post up!

Last edited:

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
^^ great information, welcome to RF by the way

OP
OP
N

nightstar57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7liter
Thanks for the welcome and the speedy answer. I always say the dumbest question is the one you did not ask,but after so many speaker/stereo installs i feel strange asking about this one..i have seen the d/d bezel on e-bay and consider going that route..mine is d/d now but the "ears" on the radio are there,crutchfield has the adapter for that. I cant help but wonder if i could mount one in the space under the radio now..it looks to be about the right size if i remove the floor on the bottom of it..however,i have not studied whats back there,if there is clearance issues or whatever. The 6x9s in the front doors are a plus and i will adapt the back doors to fit the same size..i am sure there will be clearance issues with the windows as usual but Kicker makes low profile speakers that might do it..i put them in my last ram truck.I also have a dakota that i hooked up a few years back and it rocks.. i like my music loud and clear and i plan to keep this truck for years so i want to do this right.. i wil rewire everything (always do) and i have a 600w amp and 2- 10" subs that will sit on the back seat when i am done. Sorry if i am long-winded but i am psyched.. i have already owned the truck for 2 weeks ... its time to dig in !!