Finally, upgrading my factory audio (Keep it simple, stoopid!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My truck : 2017 2500 6.4L Hemi (Laramie) w/factory Alpine 9-speaker system
Doing the audio upgrades in phases (as money allows :hidesbehindsofa:)... just got phase 2 completed!

✅ Phase 1:
- Replace factory 8.4 U-connect with KENWOOD eXcelon Reference DMX1057XR head unit.

✅ Phase 2:
- Replace factory 8" Alpine subwoofer with Audiomobile EVO 2408 D4 8" subwoofer (designed for compact + IB enclosures).
- Yank out the factory enclosure and treat the inside with sound-deadening mat / fill with polyfil to trick the sub into thinking it's in a larger enclosure.
- Introduce / install new AudioControl LC-5.1300 amp to power ONLY the new sub (for now, I will use the other 4 channels later on in Phase 3!).
- Install sound deadening mat in all 4 doors / back wall of the cab.

☑️ Phase 3: (future date)
- Replace 6x9's in rear doors / hook them up to my new amp for power
- Replace 6x9's in front doors (with components!) && Replace 3.5" mid's in the corner dash / hook these all up to the new amp for power

Which leaves the other speakers in the truck... the center dash and two in the headliner in the back of the cab... I have decided to keep my factory amp hooked up and powering these speakers... TBH, I don't even know if I'll replace the speakers as of yet. IMO -- they actually sound decent (to me). My new head unit is STUPID crazy at having the ability to tune all of these speakers... so I'm able to get the sound juuuuuuuuuuust how I like it!

9E26DB82-0E13-4D04-B7FF-0A6400EDD7ED_1_105_c.jpeg A7E9E3EB-84A6-4E87-B710-D0CC8933835C_1_105_c.jpeg

OP
OP
One Mile Up

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
OK, now that I've tuned the audio to my liking and have been driving around with the sound deadening mat and the new sub installed (pushing ~500 watts RMS) -- I'm blown away with this small, but MIGHTY subwoofer by Audiomobile! This little thing thumps! Highly recommend this setup if you're looking to keep "factory" as much as possible (I didn't want to lose the fold-flat floors!!!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
One Mile Up

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Do you have any photos of the head unit installed?

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for documenting this so well with pics and all. A few questions for you.

1- When hooking up the sub to the amp what did you use to block off the hole where the wires are ran? I'll be pulling the factory connectors and running speaker wire. Assuming you did the same?
2- What did you do to block off the bottom mounting (screw) hole for the factory sub?

3- Based on the pictures it seems you mounted the sub on the drivers side rear seat between the floor and back- is this correct? My amp will fit here but when the seat base is down it wont see much air and could get very warm....

OP
OP
One Mile Up

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thanks for documenting this so well with pics and all. A few questions for you.

1- When hooking up the sub to the amp what did you use to block off the hole where the wires are ran? I'll be pulling the factory connectors and running speaker wire. Assuming you did the same?
2- What did you do to block off the bottom mounting (screw) hole for the factory sub?

3- Based on the pictures it seems you mounted the sub on the drivers side rear seat between the floor and back- is this correct? My amp will fit here but when the seat base is down it wont see much air and could get very warm....
@BrBlack -- sorry for not getting back to you sooner... just getting home from my sabbatical (for the month of July! emotions33.gif) and settling into "life" again. LOL!

Anywho, some answers to your questions:

1. My installer just poked the new speaker wires (from my new amp) through a piece of the sound deadening mat I put all over the inside of the factory enclosure.

2. I just told him to use whatever he had in the shop to block off that hole... it looks like he just used a piece of aluminum tape -- seems to work well :shrug:

3. The sub is still in it's factory location (rear / passenger side) under the seat (I still have my fold-flat floors!). My amp is located right under / behind the same seat (rear / passenger). While it _is_ a little tight back there... I don't see having any issues with air movement. The amp gets warm for sure... but -- everything seems to be working very well (so far). I have used amps in tighter spots and have never had issues -- so I'm hoping I won't have any with this setup either !

Snapped a few pics for ya too... in case that helps!
1691356170892.png

1691356208943.png

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@BrBlack -- sorry for not getting back to you sooner... just getting home from my sabbatical (for the month of July! View attachment 525980) and settling into "life" again. LOL!

Anywho, some answers to your questions:

1. My installer just poked the new speaker wires (from my new amp) through a piece of the sound deadening mat I put all over the inside of the factory enclosure.

2. I just told him to use whatever he had in the shop to block off that hole... it looks like he just used a piece of aluminum tape -- seems to work well :shrug:

3. The sub is still in it's factory location (rear / passenger side) under the seat (I still have my fold-flat floors!). My amp is located right under / behind the same seat (rear / passenger). While it _is_ a little tight back there... I don't see having any issues with air movement. The amp gets warm for sure... but -- everything seems to be working very well (so far). I have used amps in tighter spots and have never had issues -- so I'm hoping I won't have any with this setup either !

Snapped a few pics for ya too... in case that helps!

Nice, hope you enjoyed the month off. I'm off for the next 2 weeks so my sub/amp install will need to wait.

Thanks for the reply. Was going to try and find a rubber grommet to fit in those holes but if tape did the trick maybe I'm over thinking it.