07 1500 Hemi Muffler delete only? Or Performance muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hellyeahitis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello, I know I know, this has been discussed over and over, but the problem is I don’t know what year or size engine on some of these post. So I just bought an 07 Ram with a Hemi, and want some kind of exhaust sound lol, these stock exhausts are too quiet. Anyway from what I understand from reading posts, sometimes a muffler delete has very little drone noise if you leave the resonator (single) on? So can some with a 3rd gen Hemi comment on this, and tell me if this is correct? Or if you still had drone noise, did you try a performance muffler, and how did that work? And what kind of muffler. Bottom line I want it to sound better, but with very little drone noise, and I don’t want to turn off the MDS. Anyway I’m looking for help with anyone who has a 3rd gen Hemi, and found the right mix to have the least drone noise possible. Thanks in advance peeps

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I went with a Magnaflow muffler and no resonator on my 2007 Hemi powered MegaCab. It was a single in/dual out muffler.

I had a little bit of drone at freeway cruising speed but, for me, it wasn't bad. Going the other way, doing a muffler delete with straight pipe in it's place and leaving the resonator will also work but it will get loud. How loud it sounds to you is a matter of preference. This might be the place to start with your exhaust and see how it goes. It would be a cheap mod for sure.

Don't do a full muffler and resonator delete as you need a little resistance in the gas flow to promote exhaust scavenging.

03-02.JPG

03-05.JPG

03-08.JPG

05-06.JPG

OP
OP
H

hellyeahitis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you Maddog I will take that into consideration. I heard as well that if you do the muffler delete to keep the resonator. I would like to hear from some who have done the muffler delete only on this gen (3rd) and hemi powered. I also wonder how it would sound with a perf muffler and keeping the resonator. Again I want some noise with very little drone noise, I don’t want a angry wife lol

OP
OP
H

hellyeahitis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice truck btw, I have the same color, same truck other than mines 2wdr

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m the next gen up. I’m a resonator and muffler delete. I don’t hate it at all. To me it sounds like a truck. I’ve debated in the last 6 months adding a muffler back, but I enjoy it’s deep rumble. I’m older and it doesn’t bug me with the radio and navigation. It’s just right for me.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I did that on my 06 hemi ram, started with a muffler delete. was ok not very loud, just a decent v8 truck sound. drone with mds but thats normal.
after a year or 2 I replaced the resonator with a super 10 and after that chopped the tail pipe to an axle dump. then it had a real loud rippin' HEMI sound! good times...

OP
OP
H

hellyeahitis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did that on my 06 hemi ram, started with a muffler delete. was ok not very loud, just a decent v8 truck sound. drone with mds but thats normal.
after a year or 2 I replaced the resonator with a super 10 and after that chopped the tail pipe to an axle dump. then it had a real loud rippin' HEMI sound! good times...
How is the drone now?

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
with the super 10 axle dump I would say mild to moderate interior drone. loud outside. but its exactly what I was looking for. a good in cab (and out) rumble. I much prefer the chamber muffler rumble to the straight pipe drone sound.

just make sure you cancel the MDS system somehow because it will sound like an underwater Subaru with an opened up exhaust
Its not the end of the world I ran for a few years with no tuner and loud pipes but it does get on your nerves after a while especially when you are listening to the wonderful hemi sounds then it starts farting down the road...

OP
OP
H

hellyeahitis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone done a performance muffler replacement with keeping the resonator, just wondered how that sounded, with like 40 flowmaster. Most ones I see have done away with the resonators. Just wondering the sounds of the truck w a performance muffler and keeping the resonator, with a 3gen hemi

OP
OP
H

hellyeahitis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So just to tell anyone interested in what I did on my 2007. I ended up just putting a Flowmaster 40 series muffler on and leaving the resonator and putting a 6 inch tip on. The results, sounds beefier and has very little droning, which is exactly what I wanted. Thanks for the discussion on it guys.