09 2500 engine swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello All, friend of mine we think popped a head gasket, lots of coolant in oil. With the amount of coolant in oil I am thinking she probably tore up some bearings.

Question is, can we use a 5.7 from any 4th gen 09 thru 18 ?

Thanks, Brian

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello All, friend of mine we think popped a head gasket, lots of coolant in oil. With the amount of coolant in oil I am thinking she probably tore up some bearings.

Question is, can we use a 5.7 from any 4th gen 09 thru 18 ?

Thanks, Brian

I could be wrong but sounds right besides needing to swap sensors if you get a engine from a newer truck Mine blew a head gasket got the heads checked and threw them back on still running today you would be surprised.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
I'm pretty sure the only thing you have to worry about is double checking on the reluctor wheel setup. I think there was a period of time where the early third gen hemis with eagle heads had a thinner 58 tooth reluctor/crank sensor gear and it was updated in 2013 to a bit wider. Don't know if it matters and the crank angle sensor will still work, probably be OK? Someone here probably knows