1500 4x4, Balling on a Budget Off-Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimJam300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Hey dudes. I just went to the Sierras and there's still a ton of snow at 7000+ feet. It threw a wrench in my camping plans so I went exploring for some remote lakes and ended up doing light off-roading where I was often thwarted by patches of snow and a few bumps that caused the truck to literally scrape by. Nonetheless, the wife had a lot of fun and is willing to do this kind of thing again. I just want to make sure that we will continue to get through in one piece.

Obviously the snow is a tire and locker issue, which I currently have too many irons in the fire to justify spending money on. I'm mostly interested in skid plates and if there are any factory ones that protect the engine/transmission I can just grab from the junkyard. A slight increase in ground clearance (like a 2" lift) would eliminate some worry. I did read that a new track bar is recommended for any lift but if the truck can be written off at any time, is it really needed? Already running 275/70/17 tires on wheels all from a 2003.

Also, the wife was being tossed around and she needs a grab handle above the passenger window. Is there a good way to bolt one down?

Last edited: