18" vs 20" wheel question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brihvac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 non e-torque
I am looking at a Big Horn with the basic looking 18" wheels. My question is you can buy the same truck with 20" wheels. So......
Is the speedometer set up differently between the 2 trucks so the mph is correct? Can you put 20" factory wheels on the 18" truck and the speedometer still be correct?

KG5TUD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am looking at a Big Horn with the basic looking 18" wheels. My question is you can buy the same truck with 20" wheels. So......
Is the speedometer set up differently between the 2 trucks so the mph is correct? Can you put 20" factory wheels on the 18" truck and the speedometer still be correct?
My 2019 came with the 20" factory wheels

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Your speedometer is going to depend on the overall diameter of the tire, so if it is different than your stock tire you’ll have to calibrate your speedometer. It is super easy to do, but if you’re within an inch or so of the original tire diameter I wouldn’t worry about it.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As long as the tires are the same diameter... the hole in the middle doesn't matter.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

brihvac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 non e-torque
My 2019 came with the 20" factory wheels

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
They also come with 18" factory wheels

Your speedometer is going to depend on the overall diameter of the tire, so if it is different than your stock tire you’ll have to calibrate your speedometer. It is super easy to do, but if you’re within an inch or so of the original tire diameter I wouldn’t worry about it.
That was my question. Is the 18" factory wheel and the 20" factory wheel the same overall diameter? The Big Horn can come with either so is the truck itself specifically programed for a 18" or 20"? Or are the dimensions the same and the truck programing for the speedometer are the same so you can run either factory wheel?

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
If you buy a stock truck with either an 18 inch wheel or a 20 inch wheel the difference in overall tire diameters are likely negligible, so I wouldn’t worry about it. The wheel has nothing to do with how the truck is programmed. Like the other guy said, the hole in the middle of your tire has nothing to do with it, it is the overall diameter of your tire that matters. Just swap them, the truck doesn’t care.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500