'19 hood flexing during highway speeds...normal for aluminum??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgiasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I fully agree. That Photoshop pic looks SO much better! Almost changes the whole look of the nose if the truck. Shame Ram engineers didn't see the potential and went and blew it.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is a 2012 and flexes all the time. Never has a problem with paint or structural integrity.

OP
OP
PaulNY

PaulNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/e-torque
Mine is a 2012 and flexes all the time. Never has a problem with paint or structural integrity.

That's good to hear and makes me feel much better. Ironically, I was not aware of how many vehicles have the hood flexing issue (apparently it's not an issue but the norm) until researching and can only assume it's a result of the aluminum that any manufacturers are using these days. I am still going to call my dealer to start a paper trail and FC, but I suspect they will say that it's operating as designed.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I fully agree. That Photoshop pic looks SO much better! Almost changes the whole look of the nose if the truck. Shame Ram engineers didn't see the potential and went and blew it.

Not sure if I’m in the minority but I really like that break in continuity.

Paul, I did not notice any flex yesterday at 70mph but will keep checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PaulNY

PaulNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/e-torque
Not sure if I’m in the minority but I really like that break in continuity.

Paul, I did not notice any flex yesterday at 70mph but will keep checking.

We have had some bad weather lately with lots of wind. Therefore, maybe my flexing has been due to head wind while driving. Hard to say really, but maybe your color has something to do with it as well. I think it's probably more noticeable on darker colors. I have the granite crystal metallic. Please keep checking as I suspect we will all experience this flexing at some point as the thin aluminum hood flexes pretty easy. Again, it seems to be very common among many difference cars/trucks/suv's out there that have transitioned to aluminum panels.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Will do. I’m in South Florida, so trust me I’ll have plenty of bad weather to rest for you lol.

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's good to hear and makes me feel much better. Ironically, I was not aware of how many vehicles have the hood flexing issue (apparently it's not an issue but the norm) until researching and can only assume it's a result of the aluminum that any manufacturers are using these days. I am still going to call my dealer to start a paper trail and FC, but I suspect they will say that it's operating as designed.
That’s good you’re following up. I think it’s a bit odd they haven’t addressed this especially with an all new design.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
The whole front is ruined by that thing. On the chrome trim models it dominates the look of the front. The body color version really highlights the hood/brow gap.
I have no doubt the design is causing the problem the OP noticed. When more of these get on the road, it will probably be a much discussed issue. They had a great and unique front design and blew it up. The DS grill could have been updated to fit with the look of the new truck.
Here is another Photoshop from the same site as the red Ram above. The truck looks so much better without the unibrow.View attachment 127622

its amazing how much better that truck looks with the hood line fixed like that, something so simple but completely makes it look like a different truck...

if i buy a 5th gen i may have to talk to my body guy and see if he can make something like that happen

Cruzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have not notice my hood on my 2014 2500 flex while driving but it flexes a lot when you go through the drier section of the local car wash. Seems these hoods are pretty dang thin. I wouldn't be to concerned as I don't believe this kind of flex will distort the paint or weaken the metal or have any lasting effect in the long term. But then again that might just be wishful thinking.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2010 lifts up past 80mph or so,only exception compared to this post the way I'm readin it is that mine lifts up by the windshield.perhaps an airflow between the hood and wipers causing a lift?I'm picturing like when airflow goes over the cab into the bed kinda scene(a little swirl lifting it)is that a negative airflow?...I dunno.I to pulled over to have a look at this way back when the wife noticed this..nothing loose.pulled on it hard, can't move it.paint all good.can't see what would be able to let it move...doesn't bother me.wife freaks out about it though every time.wife always lookin over at the speedometer,then I get"the look".kinda looks like the old vehicles with springs on the hoods as if u could pull it up by the windshield and springs suck it back down(if that makes any sense..hard to describe)moves maybe a 3/8-1/2"no sound.

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I could see the hood flexing occasionally on my 1st gen Chevy Colorado while driving down the road at 70+ mph , but flexed like mad under car wash air dryers. Unnerving as hell, but never seemed to harm anything for the six years we owned it.

Try it in a car wash with air dryers and see what happens...

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I own a 2018 Accord and yes the aluminum hood does flap at speed. The first time it occurred I pulled over as I thought it had come unlatched. Nope tight as a drum and I’ve given it no thought since.40a7265651df05a3fa698e80a4acdc6a.jpg

Father Of Four

Blotterhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have had some bad weather lately with lots of wind. Therefore, maybe my flexing has been due to head wind while driving.

If it's flexing inward due to high winds, I'd think the theory of winds underneath the truck creating a slight vacuum in the engine bay might be correct.

CBTBOB

U.S. Army Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gen 4 hoods flex too; it's not very noticeable though. But at 70 mph, into a head wind, you can see it... Especially with rain on the hood.

Haven't seen any flexing on my hood and I've been over 100 mph several times. It is a steel hood....

Last edited:

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^. Oh dang, where are you traveling that you can roll like that lol. :)

Father Of Four

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That’s it, I’m moving there ha ha ha. Are there long stretches of flat roads out there ? Where I am there’s a pothole for every citizen in this State sadly and speed doesn’t fare well. :(

Father Of Four

Blotterhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^. Oh dang, where are you traveling that you can roll like that lol. :)

I don't know about him but I used to get up to 160mph all the time (not in a truck lol) here: https://goo.gl/maps/mABwZd8ELT52

Separated highway lane directions lined with trees, flat and straight for 3 miles, and in the early morning not a single damn car. At least in 2005... lol

There was also a great spot between Napa and Sacramento, flat and straight for about 2 miles.

Anyway, not something I'd ever do again, I was young and stupid.

Blotterhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking back, I'm surprised I didn't die by hitting a deer