1995 RAM 1500 3.9L V6 - Stalls after 30mins runtime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sasha P

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.9L V6
Hey, I've been looking around google for the past few weeks in my free time looking for a solution.

My RAM 1500 that I bought used seems to be having an issue where it'll stall for no reason while driving. The only things I can notice (probably coincidental), are that the engine will sputter, the check engine light will flicker as it sputters, and then the engine will cut out, and will not restart unless I let it rest for at least 30 mins, usually it takes closer to 1 hour before I can start it again.

I notice the temp gauge hits ~98 degrees before it does this, and taking it slowly, I can maybe get about 30 mins of driving in. If I push it, it cuts out considerably faster.

I've heard many suggestions, and I don't have the money to take it to a garage just yet, but I want to know what to ask them to keep an eye out for so I don't get taken advantage of.

What I've been told so far, is it could be any of the following:
- Intermittent Fuel Pump
- Spark Plugs
- Alternator
- some sort of sensor

One thing I've noticed that I find odd, but it could be due to my lack of experience with vehicles in general, is that after it stalls, I notice a strong vacuum in the fuel tank. As soon as you crack the petrol cap, it hisses as it takes in the air. Is this normal as well?

Thank you all for your time. This is my first personal vehicle and I want to learn to take care of it as best I can myself.

All the best!
~Sasha