1st Impressions: Rigd Ultraswing Mega-fit Spare tire Carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Thought I`d give my 1st impressions on the above mentioned trailer hitch mounted spare tire carrier...
As always, I did a lot of research and checked the reviews on several products before making a purchase.
The Rigd and the Wilco are very similar in design, however, after reading some poor reviews on the Wilco which seems to loosen and wobble over time, not to mention some pivot pin issues I choose the Rigd.

The Rigd design addresses the design flaws (in my opinion) mentioned on the Wilco by using both a heavy duty latch that puts tension on a locking pin. This combination results in a very tight/solid wobble free fit, the ramp that the arm slides onto is also heavy duty which helps as well.
The swing-arm is also heavy duty with a large solid pivot bolt. The hitch portion is also heavy duty (10k tow rated vs 7k tow on the Wilco) and I`m told that the anti-wobble wedge is a solid machined piece making for a very secure wobble free fit.
I`m a big guy and I grabbed the carrier mounted tire (37 x 12.50) and gave it a SQUATCH sized shake and the whole truck moved as opposed to the tire/carrier.
Last but not least, being tall and preferring a high seat position I am able to see over the top of the tire when backing up which I was concerned about.
I`ll get a bunch of trail miles on her (the real test) over the next few months and report back on how it`s holding up.....

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
What made you go with a hitch mounted carrier? My experience with those is they always look “added on”, especially from the side. Plus I wouldn’t trust one to tow or act as a shackle recovery point if I wanted to. Lastly, dealing with the backup camera sealed the deal that I just replaced the entire tail gate with a Tiregate from Wilco on mine, and added an aftermarket backup cam. Have gotten tons of compliments on it, and it compliments the rest of my mods very nicely.

93177B7B-7DAD-4305-9285-E5E86EABFBEB.jpeg

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What made you go with a hitch mounted carrier? My experience with those is they always look “added on”, especially from the side. Plus I wouldn’t trust one to tow or act as a shackle recovery point if I wanted to. Lastly, dealing with the backup camera sealed the deal that I just replaced the entire tail gate with a Tiregate from Wilco on mine, and added an aftermarket backup cam. Have gotten tons of compliments on it, and it compliments the rest of my mods very nicely.

View attachment 196899
I like those tires on the stock rims. What brand and size?

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Thought I`d give my 1st impressions on the above mentioned trailer hitch mounted spare tire carrier...
As always, I did a lot of research and checked the reviews on several products before making a purchase.
The Rigd and the Wilco are very similar in design, however, after reading some poor reviews on the Wilco which seems to loosen and wobble over time, not to mention some pivot pin issues I choose the Rigd.

The Rigd design addresses the design flaws (in my opinion) mentioned on the Wilco by using both a heavy duty latch that puts tension on a locking pin. This combination results in a very tight/solid wobble free fit, the ramp that the arm slides onto is also heavy duty which helps as well.
The swing-arm is also heavy duty with a large solid pivot bolt. The hitch portion is also heavy duty (10k tow rated vs 7k tow on the Wilco) and I`m told that the anti-wobble wedge is a solid machined piece making for a very secure wobble free fit.
I`m a big guy and I grabbed the carrier mounted tire (37 x 12.50) and gave it a SQUATCH sized shake and the whole truck moved as opposed to the tire/carrier.
Last but not least, being tall and preferring a high seat position I am able to see over the top of the tire when backing up which I was concerned about.
I`ll get a bunch of trail miles on her (the real test) over the next few months and report back on how it`s holding up.....
They look pretty versatile. It definitely gives you an another option on 37+ inch spare tire. And at a 10k tow limit it doesn’t cripple the PWs towing ability.
Without a 3rd brake light and a license plate light, I believe you could not drive here in Texas at night without risking getting pulled over. https://www.rigdsupply.com/products/rigd-ultraswing-hitch-carrier-multi-fit

OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L

View attachment 196899

Well, my needs are different than yours, I didn`t want to take up "any bed space" as I occassionally haul my nearly 8 foot long Harley as well as 8x4 plywood sheets ,etc. And yes, the trade off is aprox 1ft extension past the bumper which I have no problem with since the spare tire/carrier sits well above the bottom edge of the bumper and receiver hitch.
As far as towing/shackle recovery, this thing is stout, I have no hesitation towing my pontoon boat/trailer or the occasional vehicle recovery, it`s very solid and rated for 10k towing, plenty for my use.
As far as rear camera, I dont currently have one but may add an after mkt or oem with extrended harness in the future.
Glad you`re happy with "your choice" as it must fit your needs....

Trailmaker....the swing-arm has a license plate re-location mount that mounts the plate just to the right of the spare tire, you could run a trailer harness extension to a third brake light/ lic plate light if the local leo are ****, haven`t had any issues so far in Cali...
I`m considering relocating a lic plate/3rd brake light built into a spare tire cover using a backing plate made from a good sized plastic/rubber mud flap.....

Last edited:

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for review. As mentioned it would be awesome to see some pictures. I currently have a Wilco in my garage waiting to be used. To be honest I had not even heard of Rigd before your post.

I went with a hitch mounted tire carrier because I am going to be getting a four wheel camper. Originally I was going to go with the Exp One swing out bumper (even with their issues) but it would not work with the camper.

OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Sorry, no pics yet, been snowing the last couple of days!
There are several pics at www.rigdsupply.com
Look up Ultraswing "mega-fit" as this is the one for full sized rigs....specifically there are pics of an AEV prepped power wagon that shows what the tire/carrier looks like on a Ram.

Rollertb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the swing-out in the closed position do you still have easy access to the trailer wiring connections on the rear bumper?

OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Absolutely no issues accessing the harness plugs, the entire unit sits behind the rear bumper, there is even room to mount a hi-lift jack and or fold down table behind the swing-arm!

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Absolutely no issues accessing the harness plugs, the entire unit sits behind the rear bumper, there is even room to mount a hi-lift jack and or fold down table behind the swing-arm!
I’m very excited for this thread and review but dude, I need pics! WE need pics!

OP
OP
R

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Sorry no personal pics, been snowing here....there are several pics (multiple angles) of this unit on an AEV prepped Ram on the manuf website...
www.rigdsupply.com look up ultraswing Mega-fit

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
why not go with a front mount?

You can add a front hitch and then a tire mount.

Doubles as protection from a deer

This guy made his own.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25741676/print/true.cfm

tiremount3_sm.jpg tiremount2_sm.jpg
With Power Wagons that would block our winch and require the removal of our tow hooks to work. I personally wouldn't wanna mess with trying to take a tire off when I need my winch. Not to mention the issue of not having tow hooks presents when you need them also.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dogman1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been thinking about the Rigd. My 37" spare takes up an assload on space on the bed slide.

Rollertb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d like to see it with a trailer attached.... something like a boat or enclosed trailer. How well would it clear? With a say 21’ boat attached, could you swing it open to open your tailgate? I’m thinking not, but maybe my thinking is wrong.

Or,I suppose you could crank the wheel, parking at an angle relative to the trailer, for opening the tailgate.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
With Power Wagons that would block our winch and require the removal of our tow hooks to work. I personally wouldn't wanna mess with trying to take a tire off when I need my winch. Not to mention the issue of not having tow hooks presents when you need them also.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There's your mistake in thinking.

You should have a hitch mounted winch.

Put a hitch on the front and back of your truck.

Then you can move the winch to the front or back according to your needs.

You should have 12v available front and back.

And, when you sell the truck you can keep the winch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990