1st Oil Analysis time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
I have over 6k miles and run Redline 5W20 (going on a full year). Based off how often I drive I'll be conducting yearly oil changes with 5W-20 (not the 5W-30 because that may be too thick for winter time); plus I have lifetime warranty so sticking with the proper weight would potentially save me should something go kaput vs wearing outside of the manufacturers recommendations.

As far as Oil Analysis' go, I originally planned to do it after this first year of RL 5W-20, but noticed in that GIANT OIL THREAD some were saying not to bother until 25k miles as they were still shedding metal until 30k. Some even recommended doing a flush beforehand. Well I'll maybe only have 7-8k at 2 years of ownership, so I guess at the 5 year mark (which will be in 20,000s) I'd get the flush before oil analysis? Or should I just oil analysis first before the flush if this is the case?

But is it true I shouldn't bother until then? Obviously it's still probably considered a "brand new baby engine" with metal flakes, but was sorta hoping to learn from the TAN and TBN number how to plan oil changes. Maybe I could go longer? Maybe it should be MUCH sooner? Obviously it's well before the oil change light illuminates on the dash. I guess in good faith though, should ALWAYS be done at least yearly. But curious if this is true I should get it out of my mind until between 20-30k miles.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
just as a data point... i change my oil about 8k miles... i do a oil sample / test every other change and the numbers look good... I just rolled 89k.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So doing a uoa on redline first run with so few miles, I can tell you the numbers before they come back, they will show high copper and iron wear in that order. These will not be an accurate picture of your hemi's health. I'm not going to tell someone not to get a uoa, there could be some value if you add tbn to set the interval and it can let you know if there is any issues with the engine. So now you have a reason to get that uoa if you like.