2 key fobs intermittent. cleaned and tried new batteries.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raminal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 2 basic fobs. Panic, lock, unlock. I hit lock 3 times and the truck starts.

I still have range (when it works). And I've changed the battery a few times now. But I still have an issue where it just doesn't work often. Lock, unlock, start. I'll get a lock, then need to press it 20 times before I get another. Or on parking lots I'm hitting unlock the whole time walking to the truck and sometimes it still doesn't work and I need the key. Other times I'm 100 get away and it'll unlock first try.

I'm just getting frustrated and nothing I'm reading about this issue seems to apply to my situation. Most times it's battery, or the fob needs to be reprogrammed. I don't have those issues.

I'm thinking maybe a fuse?

Thoughts?

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
oem fob or aftermarket. When I added push button start to my '17 I needed new fobs. I got one oem and one guaranteed to work aftermarket. Oem works flawless. Aftermarket works 95% of the time. locking unlocking doors starting truck etc.

OP
OP
R

raminal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2 OEM fobs. This has really left me in a tight spot. I'm leaning towards something with the truck/remote start unit.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
..mine never have worked right either. Changed batteries, doesn't matter. Chalk it up to the trucks receiver or ****** fobs and RAM not wanting to do anything about it, because it works 'most' of the time.

OP
OP
R

raminal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine over the span of a few months has completely stopped working. Multiple brand new batteries. I think it's the reciever in the truck but have no info on symptoms or repairs.

I'm manually unlocking these days.

firepuppet66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just got this 2009 RAM. One FOB worked, other dead. New battery, still dead. Opened it up and cleaned the circuit board, reassembled....dead! Went to a good locksmith, $175 and 5 minutes later I have a second working FOB.

OP
OP
R

raminal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got this 2009 RAM. One FOB worked, other dead. New battery, still dead. Opened it up and cleaned the circuit board, reassembled....dead! Went to a good locksmith, $175 and 5 minutes later I have a second working FOB.
Any idea what they did?

firepuppet66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So sorry, my profile was not set up to send me follow ups (now changed). I just saw your reply. I simply bought a new FOB and the locksmith programmed it. I don't think there was any fixing the old one!