2 ohm amp question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My kicker KX650.4 amp settings:
120 RMS x4 @ 4 ohms
170 RMS x4 @ 2 ohms
My components are 100 RMS and i want to know if i can run infinity kappa perfect 300m 3.5" midrange speakers (some places say 70 RMS, others say 35 per speaker) on the same channel, and get the most out of them.
The Infinitys are 3.5 ohms.
By running at 2 ohm all the time, am I running a high risk of burning up the amp? Or should I get a seperate amp for the 3.5 mids?

IMG_2270.PNG

IMG_2271.PNG

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The amp is 2 ohms stable, so it will be fine. It will probably sound like crap adding those with your components though.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
They'll be bright, unless you want 8 ohm 3.5, but with components already, meh...don't need the 3.5" IMHO

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They'll be bright, unless you want 8 ohm 3.5, but with components already, meh...don't need the 3.5" IMHO

Unfortunately only 2 companies make designated 3.5" midrange speakers. JL audio and the Infinity. From the reports i read, the Infinity midrange speakers sound better than the JL. We dont have many options. I might try to amplify the JL 350x coaxials with the components and see how it turns out.
Right now i have the JVC headunit running the JL audio 3.5" coaxials, and the kicker amp running the components. Gain was adjusted so i didnt have to add resistors and worry about burning my truck down. Sound is nice and even now.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The amp is 2 ohms stable, so it will be fine. It will probably sound like crap adding those with your components though.

These arent coaxials. They are designated midrange speakers like the JL audio kit uses, but 75RMS.
The JL midranges wont fit our dash, they are 4".

IMG_2277.PNG

IMG_2278.PNG

Last edited:

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Unfortunately only 2 companies make designated 3.5" midrange speakers. JL audio and the Infinity. From the reports i read, the Infinity midrange speakers sound better than the JL. We dont have many options. I might try to amplify the JL 350x coaxials with the components and see how it turns out.
Right now i have the JVC headunit running the JL audio 3.5" coaxials, and the kicker amp running the components. Gain was adjusted so i didnt have to add resistors and worry about burning my truck down. Sound is nice and even now.
Gonna have to disagree ... there are many many options for a midrange in the dash of a Ram...ya just have to get away from the popular brands and go with raw drivers (that will sound better and cost less more than likely). I ran a 4" Scan Speak 10F in my dash and was able to use the factory mounting holes...just a minute of trimming with my Dremel to clearance the magnet and I was good to go. When I traded my truck in, I put the factory speakers back in and no one knew I had been in there. IMO, If you want to run a dedicated midrange, you've technically entered the 3-way world and I would highly recommend getting something that will control your front stage crossover points for MIDbass, midrange, and tweeters. With midrange running off HU power, you technically have two sets of speakers playing many of the same frequencies (tweets & midrange) so you have some interference going on. You may think it sounds great now...but if your get your crossover points under control...you'll be amazed....that midrange has propelled you down the rabbit hole....congrats!!!

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Scan Speak makes some darn good drivers!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
They do and they won't break the bank either
Exactly, the detail and depth they go into to make a matching 'pair' is beyond normal manufactures.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gonna have to disagree ... there are many many options for a midrange in the dash of a Ram...ya just have to get away from the popular brands and go with raw drivers (that will sound better and cost less more than likely). I ran a 4" Scan Speak 10F in my dash and was able to use the factory mounting holes...just a minute of trimming with my Dremel to clearance the magnet and I was good to go. When I traded my truck in, I put the factory speakers back in and no one knew I had been in there. IMO, If you want to run a dedicated midrange, you've technically entered the 3-way world and I would highly recommend getting something that will control your front stage crossover points for MIDbass, midrange, and tweeters. With midrange running off HU power, you technically have two sets of speakers playing many of the same frequencies (tweets & midrange) so you have some interference going on. You may think it sounds great now...but if your get your crossover points under control...you'll be amazed....that midrange has propelled you down the rabbit hole....congrats!!!

Thanks I was not aware of that brand. I will check them out.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks I was not aware of that brand. I will check them out.
I am aware of what they are. But unless you have a way to cross over all three speaker correctly, this will sound bad. At least it will be loud though.

Autocraft hit it on the money.
damn...never even thought of the crossover (hits hand on forehead) lol. Guess i will stick with the 3.5" JL coaxials.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you running any kind of DSP in your system? Also, your amp may have crossovers built in that you can use to band pass the signal for midranges.

I have 4” midranges in my dash (Dynaudio e430s) and I don’t believe the installer had much of an issue making them fit.

I ran across these recently and they get good reviews from the Car Audio fanatics on SSQ and Diyma. These are 2.5” mids, they also make a 4” version.
https://www.audiofrog.com/gb25-2-12-63-mm-audiophile-grade-automotive-loudspeaker/

TomT

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Are you running any kind of DSP in your system? Also, your amp may have crossovers built in that you can use to band pass the signal for midranges.

I have 4” midranges in my dash (Dynaudio e430s) and I don’t believe the installer had much of an issue making them fit.

I ran across these recently and they get good reviews from the Car Audio fanatics on SSQ and Diyma. These are 2.5” mids, they also make a 4” version.
https://www.audiofrog.com/gb25-2-12-63-mm-audiophile-grade-automotive-loudspeaker/

TomT
I ran the e430's in my dash as well. Pretty easy install. I needed a new kidney so I sold those which covered the entire cost...jk
Something tells me the dynaudio and Audio Frogs are bit more than the OP wants to spend....considering the guy may have to buy a dsp etc to quarterback his front stage

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran the e430's in my dash as well. Pretty easy install. I needed a new kidney so I sold those which covered the entire cost...jk
Something tells me the dynaudio and Audio Frogs are bit more than the OP wants to spend....considering the guy may have to buy a dsp etc to quarterback his front stage

True, I went overboard on my latest system (thank god for SQ nuts who swap gear often so I could afford some of it). If I was starting from scratch right now I would probably go with Audiofrog GB series.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Im still a Dynaudio guy. Love the AF stuff...its great stuff. But nothing matches the realism that dynaudio provides IMO

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Am great friends with one of the guys that started Audio Frog, Gary Biggs, some good stuff...pricey though.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hertz also makes 3.5" drivers. I have a set.

I still have my previous Hertz system (Hi-Energy 3 ways front and 6.5 coax rear) sitting on a shelf waiting for me to list it somewhere. Ran them biamped using Focal passive crossovers and a Bit One.

I should probably stop procrastinating and get them up for sale. LOL

F4A8A511-5C0D-44D1-A57A-EE62C6E5C4B8.jpeg