2001 ECM swap into 2002 - Runs Great - No gauges, all Dummy Lights on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMagoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I built a 408 stroker over COVID (March - Current)

I have not put the 408 into the truck yet.

The truck is a 2002 Ram 1500 4x4 w/ 5.9 Magnum.

I bought a SCT 3200, and had a tune created to account for the 408, the new CAM, the new Headers, the new AirGap intake manifold.

The tuner arrived a few weeks ago (2-3 month lead time), and I attempted to push a tune to my truck, to make sure it can be done successfully, as without a tune for the 408, I wont be putting the 408 in.

I immediately ran into SCT Error 1013 - OS Part Number Failed. And ECU Locked.

My tuner (person) directed me to call SCT Directly, and when I did, the call was about 5 minutes long, because I am in California, they said its against the law for me to have the tuner, and it its against the law for them to assist me since I am in california, and even "checked with his supervisor". I shared that it is an "offroad only" "race only" vehicle, but it didnt matter, so kind of SOL on SCT help directly.

I have deduced that the "Deathflash" retune by the dealer at some point in the trucks life, is probably what is locking it, it has the "Authorized Software Update" label on the ECM.

I decided to buy a Non-California ECM, and swap that in. It will allow me to safely store my stock ECM, which I can put in when I need to smog the truck - (no need to discuss that).

I purchased a 2001 Ram 5.9 ECM, it also has the "Authorized Software Update" label on the ECM.

I swapped in the 2001 ECM. The truck fired up perfectly, runs perfectly, drives perfectly. However, no gauges work (gas, temp, oil, speedometer, gear selector, volgate) , the CEL is on , trans temp is on, the red light by temp is on, and the AC does not work).

I attempted to connect the SCT Tuner, and got the same ERROR 1013, could this be because of the authorized software update, as the 2001 ECM has the same software update sticker on the PCM (it is a Colorado PCM).

I swapped back to the stock 2002 ECM, and the truck is 100%, gauges work, etc. No issues.

On the 2001 ECU, what do I need to do? My goal is to discover what the issue is, is it VIN mis-match, bad ECM , etc.

Then resolve the LOCKED issue, so I can connect the SCT Tuner to the 2001 ECM, leaving my 2002 ECM untouched and safe.

Anyone have theories on why the 2001 ECM runs the truck perfectly, but no gauges work and all dummy lights on?