Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agus_El_Frijolero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys so I'm new to this forum stuff but seeing as how there are so many interesting threads here and a community of people willing to help out in those threads I want to give it a shot. That said hopefully someone reads this, so I'm getting a 2002 3.7 Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab and I want to swap the 3.7 v6 for a 6.4 v8 at one point. I was wondering if it is even possible and if it is what changes would I have to do in order to make it possible? I mean I assume it would be possible because that body style of ram fitted the 2004-2005 version of the 8.3 v10 viper engine ram 1500.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure anything is possible with $$$, but realistically it be easier to do a viper swap as opposed to a 392 but a 03-08 5.7 swap is doable. You really should do some research

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys so I'm new to this forum stuff but seeing as how there are so many interesting threads here and a community of people willing to help out in those threads I want to give it a shot. That said hopefully someone reads this, so I'm getting a 2002 3.7 Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab and I want to swap the 3.7 v6 for a 6.4 v8 at one point. I was wondering if it is even possible and if it is what changes would I have to do in order to make it possible? I mean I assume it would be possible because that body style of ram fitted the 2004-2005 version of the 8.3 v10 viper engine ram 1500.

Something an old Chief of mine used to say, when you assume you make an 'ass' of 'u' and 'me'. Automatically assuming something like that tells us you don't understand how these trucks work. There were a few differing styles of electronics fitted to these trucks between 02 and 08. First, yes, it is possible but it quite literally depends on how much money you have to spend. Since you were not specific, I will go with the premise that you want to drop a factory 392 in. Your 3.7 runs on a PCI bus style control system with a manual throttle body; the 392 is a VVT hemi that uses CAN bus control with fly-by-wire. It will physically bolt in, but that's where the easy part ends. With the correct PCM and an adapted harness (and a few other pieces) it can be made to work. You'll need to pick what transmission you want to use, you probably have an RFE which won't last long behind even a stock 392 (which is why it was never used behind it). If you get a truck that was actually born with a hemi it makes the job a helluva lot easier. An 04-08 with a hemi gives you the ability to easily build a 392 stroker that will fire right up once tuned. An 09 or newer makes a factory 392 a drop in.
All that being said, what's your mechanical/electrical capabilities and your budget? Give us an idea.

OP
OP
A

Agus_El_Frijolero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you guys for replying and yea I know I don't have much knowledge of these trucks which is why I turned here for help. To answer your questions I don't have much mechanical/electrical capabilities as I'm going to be a Chrysler Automotive Program student starting this fall and as for my budget I honestly don't plan on swapping the engines yet but its something I plan on doing and I wanted to have an idea of what I'd have to do/buy in order to make it possible or at least get suggestions of what I should do instead and as for the transmission I plan on getting a T56 Tremec.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you guys for replying and yea I know I don't have much knowledge of these trucks which is why I turned here for help. To answer your questions I don't have much mechanical/electrical capabilities as I'm going to be a Chrysler Automotive Program student starting this fall and as for my budget I honestly don't plan on swapping the engines yet but its something I plan on doing and I wanted to have an idea of what I'd have to do/buy in order to make it possible or at least get suggestions of what I should do instead and as for the transmission I plan on getting a T56 Tremec.

How hell bent are you on using a factory 392? I ask this because it is harder to make work correctly in that body than building a pre-VVT hemi to drop in it; much simpler harness conversion.....which brings us back to budget, since labor is not cheap (and neither are factory 392's, even used).

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
Sell the truck buy a 5.7 truck get a stroker kit ... done

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye