2002 Parts compatibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikelikesit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Scrolled through lots of posts but didn't see an answer to my question. I have a 2002 Ram 2wd Quad 4.7 with a recently bad motor. The body needs some cosmetic TLC (dash, rusted/dented body sections, paint). I have lots of newer mechanicals (rebuilt rear, radiator, steering, brakes, ball joints/control arms, etc, etc). I had basically gone trough the truck to be reliable for HD runs and needed towing. Was thinking of finding another vehicle in better shape (running motor-LOL) and keep this truck as a parts donor. Was hoping someone here knows more about what other years are fully compatible with the 2002 parts? Is it the same with the build run years of the same body style? Ideally like to find a 4wd but that probably further reduces the parts cross over, especially in the front end
Thanks in advance for all who can help.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2002 had 2 different 4.7 motors, JTEC (earlier), and NGC (later). I believe the JTEC has 3 connectors on the pcm, NGC has 4.

So, 2003 and later 4.7L 's will be the NGC type.

As far a body and chassis stuff, hopefully someone else will chime in on that

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For the most part, physical hard parts are directly interchangeable, though there are some unique things to the 2002 that were phased out. For example, 2002's have the ambient temp sensor directly under the hood, whereas 2003 and on its down in front attached to the headlight. One side effect of that is the driver's side headlight; on 2002's there's nothing special but 2003 and on have a notch cut out around one bolt hole to fit the ambient temp sensor. The only difference is in OEM sourced headlight housings. If you buy aftermarket ones they're all based on the 2002's without the notch. When I replaced my headlights I had to dremel that spot down.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think that 2002 was a change over year

Do a side by side check of the parts that you need

One thing that i keep in mind is that
Dodge Ram 1500 always gets a design change first
The following year, the Heavy Duty dodge ram will also get that change