2002 RAM 1500 4.7 SLT Sport: Power Door locks will NOT unlock.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
:drunk:
This is one of two issues that I just can not find a resolution for and I'm about to enter Primal Scream Therapy. My power door locks will not unlock. I've checked fuses, wires, connectors and even replaced the Master Switch in the driver side door. They lock with a nice healthy click when I move the switch to the open position. BUT, when I move the switch the opposite direction to unlock the doors there is dead silence and, of course, the doors remain locked.

What else can I do? I sure hope someone has an idea or an answer. I don't think my insurance covers the therapy I am going to be needing. :emotions133:

A little help, please? And thank you. :Angry: YES. I have spent countless hours searching for an answer.

BTW: The other issue is a code P0172 problem (running rich). I've replaced all kinds of sensors and the spark plugs. I've listened to the injectors and they seem to be clicking. I really don't want to play with the injectors. Could one or more be bad and still not throw a code? I don't want to waste more time and money only to be disappointed. Thanks, again. :banghead::emotions122:

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
:drunk:
This is one of two issues that I just can not find a resolution for and I'm about to enter Primal Scream Therapy. My power door locks will not unlock. I've checked fuses, wires, connectors and even replaced the Master Switch in the driver side door. They lock with a nice healthy click when I move the switch to the open position. BUT, when I move the switch the opposite direction to unlock the doors there is dead silence and, of course, the doors remain locked.

What else can I do? I sure hope someone has an idea or an answer. I don't think my insurance covers the therapy I am going to be needing. :emotions133:

A little help, please? And thank you. :Angry: YES. I have spent countless hours searching for an answer.

BTW: The other issue is a code P0172 problem (running rich). I've replaced all kinds of sensors and the spark plugs. I've listened to the injectors and they seem to be clicking. I really don't want to play with the injectors. Could one or more be bad and still not throw a code? I don't want to waste more time and money only to be disappointed. Thanks, again. :banghead::emotions122:
Hmmm let me ask you this ... what octane do you use ... 87, 89, 91 ?

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
P0172 - Possible causes are
  • Faulty Front Heated Oxygen Sensor
  • Faulty Spark Plugs
  • Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
  • Exhaust Gas Leaks
  • Ignition Misfiring
  • Incorrect Fuel Pressure
  • Faulty Fuel Injectors
Let's not forget rodents or rub through on the harness either.

As far as your power door locks go, have you tested the switches?

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
P0172 - Possible causes are
  • Faulty Front Heated Oxygen Sensor
  • Faulty Spark Plugs
  • Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
  • Exhaust Gas Leaks
  • Ignition Misfiring
  • Incorrect Fuel Pressure
  • Faulty Fuel Injectors
Let's not forget rodents or rub through on the harness either.

As far as your power door locks go, have you tested the switches?
O2 sensors replaced.
Spark plugs changed.
MAP sensor replaced (no MAF sensor).
Can find no leaks.
Was having some misfires but they have seemed to subside since replacing spark plugs.
Checked fuel pressure and it was within spec. This was a month or two ago so I might recheck it.
Ah, fuel injectors. Been trying to avoid that one. I've gotten no codes relating to them. I did do a stethoscope check on each as suggested and all of them seem to be clicking away as indicated to me. I guess I'm going to have to break down and take them out and visually check them. Ugh. I'll let you know.
No signs of rodents. I'll give all the wires another going over, though.
The switches seem to be working fine. Except the darned lock switches on both doors. Both switches lock all 4 doors just fine. Neither switch will unlock any of the doors. As I said, I replaced the master switch on the driver door. I find it strange that neither the driver door switch or the passenger door switch will work to unlock the doors but they lock the doors with no problem.

I took another look at the Live Data on my OBD reader. STFT fluctuating between -9 and -14. LTFT is at -33.6. It's been like that for quite a while.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have been using 87 since day one. Sorry for the delay in responding.
Switch to 91 and run a full tank of it and then see if that helps at all ... you might be surprised if running that 87 hasn't already screwed something up ....

I am big on using 91 and not 89 or 87 on these trucks .... I ran 89 for a full year this past year and my truck just didn't like it, I switched back to 91 which is what I used since day once and my truck is back to normal, feels strong the way a HEMI in my opinion should be running when it's just nothing but motor .... seriously try 91 and run a full tank ...

I know yours is not a HEMI but still try the 91 ....

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I'll give 91 a shot. What have I got to lose? I'll let you know what happens.

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Still no resolution to the issue of doors NOT unlocking with either master switch or passenger door switch. All other function are normal. HELP!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still no resolution to the issue of doors NOT unlocking with either master switch or passenger door switch. All other function are normal. HELP!
Now I am not sure on a 02 but on like a 06 I know the power locks actually run threw the gauge cluster had a similar issue on my old 06 unlock but not lock. I no longer have access to alldata or i would get one for you also check the harness in the door jams wires tend to break from opening and closing the door.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Is it only from the Drivers Door Switch that the doors don't unlock ?

Unfortunately the wiring in the door posts, have a tendency to harden & the insulation cracks

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Is it only from the Drivers Door Switch that the doors don't unlock ?

Unfortunately the wiring in the door posts, have a tendency to harden & the insulation cracks
Neither the driver side switch nor the passenger side switch will unlock the doors. All other functions are fine.

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Now I am not sure on a 02 but on like a 06 I know the power locks actually run threw the gauge cluster had a similar issue on my old 06 unlock but not lock. I no longer have access to alldata or i would get one for you also check the harness in the door jams wires tend to break from opening and closing the door.
I guess I'll have to check this. I recently replaced the wiring harness in the rear driver side door because of multiple broken wires.

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
What do you mean "power locks actually run threw the gauge cluster"?

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
CheechDogg.0n37s. No luck running the high octane fuel through the truck. I've got to take a break. Doc says I may be dealing with Sciatica.