2002 Would not idle. Then it did

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oreo57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
today I took the truck out. Started fine.. ran fine ..for about 4 blocks.
Got to a stop sign. Truck died.
Stated it. Died.
ect. ect.
Could keep it running by giving it gas but that was about it.

Well pushed it to the curb and did the foot on brake, foot on gas, throw into gear dance to get it out of the way.

Anyways since I obviously wasn't going anywhere I decided to just run it w/ a wee bit of pedal pressure to keep it chugging along.
Then got tired of it and took foot off gas.

Died.

Started it back up and it stayed running

SURPRISE!!!!!

Anyways rumor has it these things are picky about batteries and this winter I did have some starting issues at 0 degrees or such.
Truck is a secondary vehicle and gets very little drive time. A few days of extreme cold will kill it.
Battery is 5 yrs old

As of now no codes thrown.

Sooo is the battery thing REAL?
Any other troubleshooting steps?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
2002 are not nearly as battery sensitive as the new models. The old ones have far less electronics. Start and won't idle without gas is more likely, bad plugs, bad wires/coils, plugged PVC, partly clogged fuel filter, leaking intake gasket, needs fuel system cleaner like Seafoam, fuel pump going etc. Start at the simplest and work through. You have not given us anywhere near enough info on the symptoms to really be able to help you.

So to make diagnosis easier, has there recently been a big drop in your gas mileage, does the truck run and idle facing downhill, stumbles and stalls uphill. Any issues with power and accerlaration once under way, any smell of gas, does it always restart easy and just won't idle or does it take a bunch of cranking to get it to fire.

Brian Kormos

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unplug the idle air control solenoid and see if it runs. Plug it back In while running and it should be ok. Not sure why. I have a 2002 at work and we have to do this every month or two. I've changed the solenoid and the replacement does the same thing.

OP
OP
O

oreo57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
2002 are not nearly as battery sensitive as the new models. The old ones have far less electronics. Start and won't idle without gas is more likely, bad plugs, bad wires/coils, plugged PVC, partly clogged fuel filter, leaking intake gasket, needs fuel system cleaner like Seafoam, fuel pump going etc. Start at the simplest and work through. You have not given us anywhere near enough info on the symptoms to really be able to help you.

So to make diagnosis easier, has there recently been a big drop in your gas mileage, does the truck run and idle facing downhill, stumbles and stalls uphill. Any issues with power and accerlaration once under way, any smell of gas, does it always restart easy and just won't idle or does it take a bunch of cranking to get it to fire.
Yea but this has been a "one of".
Starts like a charm always.. Barely need to turn the key.
Well bit difficult in winter but not more than say 5 "turns" in 10 degee F weather
2002 with 74000 miles on it.

Checked the battery cells and they are a bit low (1.2-ish across th 6) though.
Voltage is about 12.1
Best I can guess it has only about 30% charge.

I'll check out the charging system tomorrow.

Though I think it is stupid, I'll probably replace the battery and maybe the Idle air control.

Like I said pulled out of driveway 2 blocks, Stopped turned right 3 blocks. Turned left2 blocks. As I relaxed the accelerator
to stop at the next stop it just died.
Funny thing was no idiot lights went on.
Started it bam starts.. then dies without pressing accelrator.... repeat ..

Ran it for about 5 minutes w/ foot on accelerator and about 1000RPM.
Eventually it "stuck" on staying running. Drove home.

Cheap OBD2 reader shows no faults or pending faults. Whatever that is worth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oreo57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Unplug the idle air control solenoid and see if it runs. Plug it back In while running and it should be ok. Not sure why. I have a 2002 at work and we have to do this every month or two. I've changed the solenoid and the replacement does the same thing.
May not help and also sounds funny but from my "research" some just remove the neg cable for awhile (there is debate about then holding the key in start for 1 minute)
then reconnect.. Like the windows "turn it off and on again" supposedly resets the computer.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My friend's car had something very similar. Turned out to be water in the fuel. A bottle of isopropyl alcohol (not ethanol, that separates water and gas, iso mixes and burns water out) solved the problem. Wouldn't hurt to get a bottle at the auto store and try it.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have worked on a lot of older rams and jeeps for whatever reason. They will not idle at first if the battery is low I always had to keep foot on gas and jently let it down off idle til it charged up a bit Change your battery and check alternator.

Nascar Tommy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002, 2023
Engine
5.9 magnum, 5.7 hemi etorque
I have battery tenders installed on both trucks. They work great and really extend battery life.

OP
OP
O

oreo57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Followup to sort of (temporarily) close this thread:
OK after multiple checks the battery apparently had a weak cell.
Even charging it inside the cell wouldn't test above about 1.21 spec gravity.
Battery was at about 12.2V

Replaced the battery and truck ran well actually... a bit better than it was in the recent past.
Smooth idle, no change in rpm w/ AC on ect.
No killing at stops signs.
Fortunately looks like no retraining necessary atm.

Hopefully it is fixed.. Time will tell. Thanks for the responses..
Still.. its weird.. ;)
Guess I'm just used to old cars.