2004 1500 4.7 Very slow acceleration and horsepower problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sharkbait

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got a Ram 1500 4.7 and everything looks and runs pretty well beside the fact it takes a long time for me to get up to speed and if I'm going uphill it has no chance of getting up to speed. I've replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs, oil and air filters but its still has acceleration problems. Check engine light flashes but no codes come up. Anyone run into something similar or have any suggestions on what to check next?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Have you used AlphaOBD to run for codes, or go to a shop? Start there. Second, what are you hauling around? Is truck bare or do you have running boards, bed cover, tool box, brush guard, oversized tires, a few members of my family who never miss a pizza and a beer opportunity, etc.? Any or all of these will impact performance. The 4.7 isn't a race truck and if you come out of a 5.7 there are maybe 80 less ponies there. Gearing would also impact performance.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
i would be checking the transmission/torque converter

at least smell the dipstick

. Fresh transmission fluid usually has a sweet or tart smell, but when it smells burnt, it could mean that your transmission isn't getting the protection it needs. This can lead to more friction and wear in the transmission, which can be fixed sometimes by exchanging the transmission fluid

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The easiest way to determine if you have a 45RFE or a 545RFE is to see how many gears you have. The first number on the transmission id number is XXXXX amount of gears it has. The 45RFE is a 4 speed transmission. The 545RFE is a 5 speed transmission.

note :
The RFE trans does not use bands.J

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have you used AlphaOBD to run for codes, or go to a shop? Start there. Second, what are you hauling around? Is truck bare or do you have running boards, bed cover, tool box, brush guard, oversized tires, a few members of my family who never miss a pizza and a beer opportunity, etc.? Any or all of these will impact performance. The 4.7 isn't a race truck and if you come out of a 5.7 there are maybe 80 less ponies there. Gearing would also impact performance.
AOBD is only compatible with CAN bus vehicles.....which a 2004 Ram is most definitely not.
The easiest way to determine if you have a 45RFE or a 545RFE is to see how many gears you have. The first number on the transmission id number is XXXXX amount of gears it has. The 45RFE is a 4 speed transmission. The 545RFE is a 5 speed transmission.

note :
The RFE trans does not use bands.J
All 3rd gen RFE's from 2003 onward are 545's. 2002 was the last year for the 45 software.

Just got a Ram 1500 4.7 and everything looks and runs pretty well beside the fact it takes a long time for me to get up to speed and if I'm going uphill it has no chance of getting up to speed. I've replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs, oil and air filters but its still has acceleration problems. Check engine light flashes but no codes come up. Anyone run into something similar or have any suggestions on what to check next?
Keep in mind, you have a very small displacement V8 (4.7L = 287 in³) that isn't exactly a powerhouse; great for the Dakotas and Grand Cherokees it was originally installed in, not so much for the 5000+ pound pickup truck. As asked above, is there a bunch of heavy crap installed extra on this thing and what gears (differential) do you have? 3.55's would absolutely make that thing a dog. If the MIL is flashing you need to go get it scanned to see why (may be a stored vs active code).

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
AOBD is only compatible with CAN bus vehicles.....which a 2004 Ram is most definitely not.

All 3rd gen RFE's from 2003 onward are 545's. 2002 was the last year for the 45 software.

Keep in mind, you have a very small displacement V8 (4.7L = 287 in³) that isn't exactly a powerhouse; great for the Dakotas and Grand Cherokees it was originally installed in, not so much for the 5000+ pound pickup truck. As asked above, is there a bunch of heavy crap installed extra on this thing and what gears (differential) do you have? 3.55's would absolutely make that thing a dog. If the MIL is flashing you need to go get it scanned to see why (may be a stored vs active code).
It was late after getting ready for a graduation party, I know better about 2004s. Just duh to me