2004 1500 5.7L - code po300 throttle body questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Chief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my truck died in the middle of road, while driving. Tried to crank and it could barely hold on, irratic idle. Seemed like a misfire. There was no CEL, but I had a code reader and got po300.

After some 5 senses investigation... I seem to smell fuel. Just turning the key, without trying to start I was listening for the fuel pump (which seems to work) and also heard clicking noises coming from the throttle body? I confirmed by unplugging it (noise stopped). I dont think i ever heard the throttle body "click" before... is that normal?

My question: what are the chances my throttle body is causing the po300? I have been reading and there is no TPS on the 5.7L, seems to be integrated? Could there be some other reason that is making my throttle body click before starting. It would seem the only way this possible is something electrical, since the motor is not even started.

Thanks, Josh

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
P0300 is a general misfire code, P0301-P0308 specify which cylinder is misfiring. It could be a faulty spark plug, ignition coil, clogged or faulty fuel injector, intake air leak, fuel injector harness is open or shorted, a poor fuel Injector circuit electrical connection, the ignition coil harness is open or shorted, a poor ignition coil circuit electrical connection, insufficient cylinders compression, or incorrect fuel pressure.

I am doubtful that the throttle body would cause a P0300 code. As an extreme, it would either drop to idle or go wide open or possibly just stop where it currently is altogether (ie stuck in position). There is indeed no throttle position sensor (TPS), you have a drive-by-wire system and the ECU controls the throttle position directly.

Another possibility is a faulty crank or cam sensor. Are there any other codes?

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p0300_dodge.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007