2004 4.7 No Start & Odometer Screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FurryWooki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New guy here. I have a 2004 Ram 1500 4.7 4X4 automatic that has had a history of intermittent starting. Thankfully I've resolved the no start issue, story below. Next on the list is why my odometer screen isn't lit. The gear selector screen is fine and always has been. The odometer screen has been intermittent the past year or so. During driving it would dim and sometimes come back on. Now it's not displaying anything. Which was very aggravating when I needed dash diagnostic codes from the no-start problem. I've looked at the wiring underneath the dash and nothing seems damaged. How should I proceed?

Mainly posting this for anyone who may have a similar case.
Over the winter, my wife was stranded an hour away from me due to an aging battery. It had trouble keeping charge. Replaced the battery on the spot and the truck has been good until now. A couple weeks ago, I jump in and turn the key. Truck dings and no crank. The gas and battery gauges don't move. Outside temp is reading 130*. Lights, windows, keyless entry, signals, radio and horn work. I initiate a dash cluster diagnostic then all the gauges start ticking, looks fine. If a code were present, it would have displayed on my odometer screen that hasn't been working lately. I tried to read codes via OBD2 port, no data/error reading. I started checking around and noticed my battery terminals were in very bad condition. The ground terminal was missing part of its bottom half. I replaced both battery terminals but that didn't fix the issue. I checked and cleaned all the body grounds under the hood, no change. I then ran across someone with a similar issue. His video led me to the solid red wire that goes from the fuse box to the PCM/computer which provides power to the computer. I unwrapped the harness to check for breaks, it looked good. I challenged myself to get better with my multimeter and checked the wire for resistance. It was complete and no issues. I started checking voltage on that wire and noticed no power was being delivered when the key was turned on. Or at least not enough power...it would register 2V then slowly leak voltage down to <1V. I checked at the PCM and both sides of the intermediate connector, no power. I then went to the fuse box, it had power up top at the fuse but it wasn't passing it underneath to the wire. I took the fuse box inside and disassembled. I'll post a pic of what I found. A chunk of the PCB had blown off and corroded. I cleaned the corrosion so you can see how much was effected. Convinced this was the culprit, I scrounged on eBay and got a replacement fuse box for $75. Plugged my BCM into it and she runs! I'm not the only one that's had this issue. It's just hard to track down if you're not used to working on electrical issues with vehicles...and when your odometer screen can't display helpful codes. Many people in my situation had resorted to replacing parts like crank sensor, starter, ignition switch, etc. instead of actually troubleshooting the problem. Hope this helps someone in the future.
D5CE44FE-3F17-4028-B60B-FF1712AEB172.jpeg

Last edited:

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New guy here. I have a 2004 Ram 1500 4.7 4X4 automatic that has had a history of intermittent starting. Thankfully I've resolved the no start issue, story below. Next on the list is why my odometer screen isn't lit. The gear selector screen is fine and always has been. The odometer screen has been intermittent the past year or so. During driving it would dim and sometimes come back on. Now it's not displaying anything. Which was very aggravating when I needed dash diagnostic codes from the no-start problem. I've looked at the wiring underneath the dash and nothing seems damaged. How should I proceed?

Over the winter, my wife was stranded an hour away from me due to an aging battery. It had trouble keeping charge. Replaced the battery on the spot and the truck has been good until now. A couple weeks ago, I jump in and turn the key. Truck dings and no crank. The gas and battery gauges don't move. Outside temp is reading 130*. Lights, windows, keyless entry, signals, radio and horn work. I initiate a dash cluster diagnostic then all the gauges start ticking, looks fine. If a code were present, it would have displayed on my odometer screen that hasn't been working lately. I tried to read codes via OBD2 port, no data/error reading. I started checking around and noticed my battery terminals were in very bad condition. The ground terminal was missing part of its bottom half. I replaced both battery terminals but that didn't fix the issue. I checked and cleaned all the body grounds under the hood, no change. I then ran across someone with a similar issue. His video led me to the solid red wire that goes from the fuse box to the PCM/computer which provides power to the computer. I unwrapped the harness to check for breaks, it looked good. I challenged myself to get better with my multimeter and checked the wire for resistance. It was complete and no issues. I started checking voltage on that wire and noticed no power was being delivered when the key was turned on. Or at least not enough power...it would register 2V then slowly leak voltage down to <1V. I checked at the PCM and both sides of the intermediate connector, no power. I then went to the fuse box, it had power up top at the fuse but it wasn't passing it underneath to the wire. I took the fuse box inside and disassembled. I'll post a pic of what I found. A chunk of the PCB had blown off and corroded. I cleaned the corrosion so you can see how much was effected. Convinced this was the culprit, I scrounged on eBay and got a replacement fuse box for $75. Plugged my BCM into it and she runs! I'm not the only one that's had this issue. It's just hard to track down if you're not used to working on electrical issues with vehicles...and when your odometer screen can't display helpful codes. Many people in my situation had resorted to replacing parts like crank sensor, starter, ignition switch, etc. instead of actually troubleshooting the problem. Hope this helps someone in the future.
View attachment 134847

Pic doesn't work for me. [emoji20]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine

View attachment 134983

Tricky little ******** aren’t they! I’m on my fifth one, yes, fifth! And every box had an issue grounding out certain relays like asd and a/c. These trucks grounds need to be clean otherwise gremlins start running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Nice job figuring that out man.

OP
OP
FurryWooki

FurryWooki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tricky little ******** aren’t they! I’m on my fifth one, yes, fifth! And every box had an issue grounding out certain relays like asd and a/c. These trucks grounds need to be clean otherwise gremlins start running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Nice job figuring that out man.

FIVE!?!? Oh boy...:eek:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
FIVE!?!? Oh boy...:eek:

Yeah tell me about it, and the messed up part is that it only took a very very small amount of corrosion to disable the box and make it go nuts. But the real problem for me was that I couldn’t buy a brand new one like you can for 03+ but 02 I had to junkyard source them because they stopped making them for that year and they aren’t interchangeable from 02 to 03+.