2004 ram 1500 4wd not working service light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Latest snag , my 2004 ram 1500 5.7 automatic tranny,, will not shift into 4wd and the 4wd service light is on,,pulled shift motor and water in plug,,ok so replaced with new shift motor and no change,,I checked fuses a few weeks ago and all were good when I first tried to solve this issue but plan on checking again , any other suggestions besides wiring which I have started tracing down , haven't found any breaks in wires nothing melted yet but gave up for the night
Now I have only owned truck a few ,months and it had this problem from the get go,,any new suggestions would be great ,

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you flip it to 4wd do you hear it trying to change? It could also be the axle disconnect.

OP
OP
T

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When you flip it to 4wd do you hear it trying to change? It could also be the axle disconnect.
No noise that I can hear ,, what are you calling axle disconnect ? if its a differential lock actuator I am not 100% sure but dont think the 2004 has that,

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No noise that I can hear ,, what are you calling axle disconnect ? if its a differential lock actuator I am not 100% sure but dont think the 2004 has that,

There is a front axle connect and the transfer case. If you can’t hear the transfer case check the switch, might need a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There is a front axle connect and the transfer case. If you can’t hear the transfer case check the switch, might need a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I plan on pulling switch an checking tomorrow

OP
OP
T

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
the switch on dash is good but sill cant get it into 4wd,,first start truck it takes about 20 sec. and 4wd service light comes on an stays on,,is there anythong else I can check that anyone is aware of ? no actuator on axle that I can find

OP
OP
T

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I pulled a scan on DTC and came up with Transfer case mode sensor error , is this the selector 4wd switch on dash as I think thats were it is on a 2004 ram 1500 ? as the shift motor is new , has the n23-d transfer case

OP
OP
T

TERRY G ABNEY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My IPM or Power Distribution Module Center Fuse Box seems to be the problem if I traced it down correctly , appears that I either replace or try an solder in a jumper possible as its only problem,,seems when water got in the plug for shift motor it burnt the board somewhere in the IPM or Power Distribution Module and this is why my 4wd wont shift in at transfer case,
,And then after replacing the 02 sensors and getting them all working properly the cats decided to clog up and shut the truck down , so two more things to resolve before driving

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am3334