2005 Instrument Cluster Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey there fellow 3rd Gen owners, I have a bit of a peculiar issue. I just installed a set of LEDs in my instrument cluster. During the process of swapping bulbs, one fell between the gauges and the PCB for the cluster. So, I had to pull it apart - which required taking the needles off. Some searching tells me this is a no-no (hindsight is always 20/20). Anyways, the damage is done.

My speedometer and voltage gauge read correctly. However, my fuel gauge, coolant temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, and tachometer are all reading incorrectly. Using Torque and an OBD II scanner, I can see the ECU is reporting things correctly: Idle at about 500-550 rpms, coolant temp at 190º, etc.

Is there a process I am missing that re-indexes the gauge needle positions at zero? There are tons of videos for the "instrument panel test" but it doesn't reset/re-index anything.

Thanks guys, trying to avoid dropping a few hundred in "diagnostic" costs at the dealer.

Oh yeah, here's the LEDS. I'll take another photo at night.
49603505_10218307323570537_4674938912328646656_o.jpg 49822945_10218307323650539_7999434214376210432_o.jpg

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
If they don't move at all and act like they're stuck, you might've pushed the needles in too far. I think I remember reading about some people who had issues with their needles sticking after they reinstalled them, can't say for certain thats the culprit but its worth the try

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Remove the needles on the gauges that are not working correctly. Start the truck, with the truck running re-install the needles matching the OBD2 scan tool's readings.

Thanks Chopperman that's not a bad idea. I'm laid up with Abad sinus infection so it will have to wait. At least I know the ECU is giving correct data.

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got it fixed this evening. Pulled the instrument cluster cover off, plugged it in, did the instrument cluster test, let it reset, started the truck, and put the needles where my OBD scanner read each gauge. Looks good now.

Edit: I only broke one of the little needle stops (fuel max fill stop) during this whole process. Oh well, learning experience to NEVER do it again.

Last edited:

JD86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Hey there fellow 3rd Gen owners, I have a bit of a peculiar issue. I just installed a set of LEDs in my instrument cluster. During the process of swapping bulbs, one fell between the gauges and the PCB for the cluster. So, I had to pull it apart - which required taking the needles off. Some searching tells me this is a no-no (hindsight is always 20/20). Anyways, the damage is done.

My speedometer and voltage gauge read correctly. However, my fuel gauge, coolant temp gauge, oil pressure gauge, and tachometer are all reading incorrectly. Using Torque and an OBD II scanner, I can see the ECU is reporting things correctly: Idle at about 500-550 rpms, coolant temp at 190º, etc.

Is there a process I am missing that re-indexes the gauge needle positions at zero? There are tons of videos for the "instrument panel test" but it doesn't reset/re-index anything.

Thanks guys, trying to avoid dropping a few hundred in "diagnostic" costs at the dealer.

Oh yeah, here's the LEDS. I'll take another photo at night.
View attachment 151531 View attachment 151532

How hard was it to get to this point and replace the lights? I have just bought a 2005 and have a couple lights out on the cluster.

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's not too difficult. 3 screws, 2 trim pieces, then the 4 screws that hold the instrument cluster. Unplugging it will be a PITA if you have big hands.

Once the cluster is out, take remove the bulbs from the back - they twist to unlock then just pull. Just be careful or you may have a bulb break out of the bulb holder, which is what led me down the path of separating the cluster and my guage needles coming off.