2005 Ram 2500 5.9 Transmission Wont engage. Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tybrady1985

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
So i am in some serios need of help. I bought my Baby 2005 Ram 2500 5.9 cummins about 5 years ago. It has been an amazing truck for the most part. She is lifted and tuned. Any way so about 2 months ago my tuner started to throw a P code that came up as unknown sorry i dont remember it and the dealership cleared it and said everything looked fine. Later the next week I ran into a few problems that I never had experienced with the truck. My tailk lights and blinker would turn on when they were off or not work when they should. The next week I went to shut the truck off took the key out and the truck just kept on running. It wouldn't shut off til I got under the hood and started checking fuses. The truck shut off when i got to the turn signal fuse. Which was weird because I had been having issue with the turn signals. This whole time I am not getting any error codes or check engine and the truck is running fine as far as driving goes. So last week I just had drove home from work. No issues at all. Go out to the truck an hour later to head to the grocery store and truck starts just fine but it will not engage in any gear. I go to reverse just revs up. go to drive, 2,1 od same thing just revs up. So the next day i dropped the transmission pan and changed the fluid and replaced the filter. The fluid was dirty it, didnt look the best and there was minimal shavings but this was the first time in at least 3 years that it had been changed. That helped only a little bit. So now only some days when the tempature outside is decent it will engage in reverse and 1st gear but it feels like you have the park break on and it will barely go. Can some one please give me any kinda idea. I really hate to have to replace the transmission and find out that it is some kind of electrical issue or something like that.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
In the years that I've owned my 05 (cummins) I've had that happen a couple of times. When I hook up the OBD even though no codes are showing on dash, it shows a code. I don't remember the code number, somewhere in the high digits though, if I clear all codes, it works fine again. Has only happened a couple of times, but it's weird when it does. Feels like trying to move with the parking brake on. Good luck

Bvogt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 I6
Smokey bear is right. There may be pending or stored codes with no mil. I use the OBD II Max. It stays plugged in and constantly checks and records everything. Plus you can view and clear codes and view live data