2005 Wiper issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VT2005Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone,

I Previously had this question in the audio and electronics sub-forum, but thought I'd try a broader audience here.

I just joined this forum, as I am trying to sell my Dad's 2005 Ram for him. Low miles and runs great, but I'm having a windshield wiper issue that I'd like to handle. The wipers don't turn on or off correctly, and I'm hoping someone among you has dealt with similar issue and might offer thoughts, before I resort to getting f'd at the shop. When wipers are turned off, they either keep on wiping, or they stop wherever they happen to be when you hit the switch. When ignition is turned to run, wipers start going even though they are in off position. Other random irrational activities. I'm thinking poltergeist, but I'm not a mechanic.

From digging around to earlier references, leaning toward motor ground? Not sure if lights are flickering, which would mean stem, I think... -10 here, so I'm not getting near that frozen truck! Put another log on the fire!

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Todd in Vermont

Nate4x4

The Vehicle Reader
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4x4
Hello everyone,
I just joined this forum, as I am trying to sell my Dad's 2005 Ram for him. I just had it detailed and it looks great, but I'm having a windshield wiper issue that I'd like to handle. The wipers don't turn on or off correctly, and I'm hoping for suggestions on a diy fix to avoid paying the dealer for help. When wipers are turned off, they either keep on wiping, or they stop wherever they happen to be when you hit the switch. When ignition is turned to run, wipers start going even though they are in off position.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Todd in Vermont
Welcome, look on the bright side, now you have a perfect excuse to say “no” when anyone asks to borrow your car...lol

Find the windshield-wiper relay. You’ll find that in the fuse box; it’s even labeled!

There should be at least one other relay in there that looks identical. Try swapping those two relays.

If your relay is stuck in the “on” position, that could explain why power is continually going to your wiper motor.

When swapping the relays doesn’t make a difference, my second guess would be the wiper motor. That’s also pretty easy to test.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m leaning towards the wiper motor. What happens is the switch that tells it that the wipers are “home” goes bad and they just keep running until it sees that they are where they should be. Mine did this and would randomly park pointing straight up in the air, instead of across the bottom of the windshield.