2008 5.7 intermittent no start usually when warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rangran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having an issue starting when warm, usually after getting gas. Turn the key gets one quick jolt to the starter like the battery is dead. If I wait a few minutes it will start up no problem, no excessive cranking. It was very random over the last year or so but it has been progressively getting worse, easily repeatable at this point. Battery replaced 6 months ago, and replaced the starter last week. Cleaned all grounds with a wire brush. When it happens there is no draw from the battery like when it starts. Where to look next?

OP
OP
R

rangran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, all connections with battery and starter are clean and tight.

OP
OP
R

rangran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately that relay is part of the TIPM and can't be replaced without replacing the whole TIPM. Was hopeful I'm missing something before I go there.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it the 2017 5.7L Hemi you have in your profile or a 2002-2008 3.6L, 4.7L, or 5.7L? Regardless of that, IF your truck is old enough, sometimes the ignition tumbler or key wears out and can give similar symptoms.

EDIT - Never mind, my coffee deprived, tired butt just re-read the post title. DUH!!! The question of the ignition tumbler and key remains though.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It could still be a bad new starter also check the small signal wire that goes to the starter the one that slides on thety often get bad connection/corroded I have had to cut many of them off and replace that end next time it doesnt start wiggle that wire. Also could be ignition switch it is rarely the TIPM only the newer rams have some issues with those.

OP
OP
R

rangran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wound up being the ground to the block. The grounds were all taped together and when I unraveled them I found a butt splice in the wire. 2 of them actually, one to the frame and the one to the block. I moved the one from the 1/4 panel that did not have a splice to the block and it's working great. Going to order the whole harness. I am original owner and I know this has never been touched. Maybe a Friday truck lol

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wound up being the ground to the block. The grounds were all taped together and when I unraveled them I found a butt splice in the wire. 2 of them actually, one to the frame and the one to the block. I moved the one from the 1/4 panel that did not have a splice to the block and it's working great. Going to order the whole harness. I am original owner and I know this has never been touched. Maybe a Friday truck lol
Glad ya figured it out ground issues can be a pain in the ass lol chased a issue on my 2011 with the starter ended up running whole new ground wire to frame.