2008 5.7 not starting cranks 1/8 turn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all I'm stumped need help. Original owner 08 1500 5.7 4X4 290,000 km, been great truck so far!!

Drove home in huge snow storm last week (wet heavy snow) got 1 block from home serv 4wd light came on. Once in driveway tried switching 2wd / 4auto / 4 high light only blinked. Turned truck off no crank!! Actually starter clicks fan blade turns about 2". Try hitting key 50% of time it clicks and turns that 2" other times nothing.

Replaced battery and starter as neither have ever been done. Cleaned cables up well, no better same thing. Tried run booster cable from pos battery post to small wire on solenoid eng motors fast no fire at all just spins (key in run position).

Figured has to be ingition switch, replaced it no better.

Grounds look good/tight/no corrosion.

No codes except egr been on for couple weeks never replaced yet but wouldnt cause no crank (I think).

Thinking neutral safety switch???? Hoping not tipm but thinking probably is. I don't want to spend $1500 on 1 troubleshooting. Tried stating in neutral no better.

There were 3 or 4 " of slush and ice covering rear of tranny and transfer case, possibly short something if cracked wire????

Any help be greatly appreciated!!

Donovan

OP
OP
D

Donben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know if putting power to starter and getting it to crank would still not start if neutral safety switch faulty?

Also, from what I read there is no starter relay on this truck. Built in tipm I'm told. All other fuses good, clean, seated properly.

I also looked under tipm checked all wiring harnesses. Look on passenger side firewall in eng compartment all connections look fine. No wires appear to be rubbing or damaged.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When my neighbor's 2008 TIPM went bad, I helped him get the truck started. He jumped power to crank the starter when I turned the key forward. He's a Dodge mechanic and wasn't sure it would work as the ECM could "time out" if it does not detect the engine cranking at the right time.
If I'm not mistaken, his starter went bad which he replaced first but it took the TIPM out also.

Max1329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Magnum hemi
I know it's a bit old school but if your getting power to the starter try hitting it with a hammer a few times to check if it seized

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any codes come up when you plug in a OBDII scanner? Beyond that, I would suggest a couple of things, first, check if your engine turns freely by hand and second, check that your timing chain is intact. Pull a cover off and see if the valves move when you hand turn the engine, it's less involved than pulling the timing cover off, plus, as an added bonus, you can see if you've been blessed by Murphy with the dreaded broken valve spring curse. Do be careful checking to see if your engine spins freely, remember, it is an interference engine and valves tend to get bent if you turn it to hard. Just my 2cents, good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
D

Donben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know it's a bit old school but if your getting power to the starter try hitting it with a hammer a few times to check if it seized

Its a brand new starter. If I run power directly from battery to small post of starter the engine spins fine, but doesn't fire (key in run position).

OP
OP
D

Donben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any codes come up when you plug in a OBDII scanner? Beyond that, I would suggest a couple of things, first, check if your engine turns freely by hand and second, check that your timing chain is intact. Pull a cover off and see if the valves move when you hand turn the engine, it's less involved than pulling the timing cover off, plus, as an added bonus, you can see if you've been blessed by Murphy with the dreaded broken valve spring curse. Do be careful checking to see if your engine spins freely, remember, it is an interference engine and valves tend to get bent if you turn it to hard. Just my 2cents, good luck and keep us posted.

No codes other than egr code that came up a few weeks ago. I did pull it off and clean it to see if it helps but hasn't startered. I've been away last few days but will try hand spinning it Thursday. Also ordered a neutral safety switch try replacing it too.

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quadcab Ram 1500 SLT Sport 4x4 3.92 gears
Engine
Since it sounds like you have eliminated the starter and battery, and you jumped directly to the starter you need to --Pull your oil filter and cut it open and inspect the element for metal, also you can pull your spark plugs and then see if the engine spins over. These test will eliminate a possible engine seizure( if filter has metal in it then the engine has started to seize) or a cylinder full of liquid.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If I run power directly from battery to small post of starter the engine spins fine, but doesn't fire (key in run position).

Have someone turn the key forward to start at the same time you jump battery power to the small post on the starter.

OP
OP
D

Donben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have someone turn the key forward to start at the same time you jump battery power to the small post on the starter.

I did that the first time but motor just spun didnt start. However, to get jumper onto the small post I had to remove wire to access the little post. Going to get an alligator clip today so i can try it again with small wire still hooked up to solenoid. Doubtful it will help but running out of options.

I tried taking both battery cables off and tied them together (apparently resets something lol) no luck. Completely removed tipm while battery was disconnected, cleanned everything. Nothing helped, same issue.

Didnt replace neutral safety switch as the trans position indicator works 100%. Tried starting in neutral which apprently bypasses that switch no change.

Trying the baypass solenoid with clip tonight if that doesnt working throwin the towel (first time ever for nonwarranty) and towing to the dealer.

Thanks again for input guys.

Btw way it ran PERFECT when i shut it off with key. Tried switching 4wd switch to trouble shoot serv 4wd light and literally 30 seconds later had this issue. No weird noises or bangs or misfires before turning off. I still think issue has something to do with all that wet snow and ice under the truck from driving home affecting 4wd system too. Must be related some how as its the only fault the truck had that i know of prior to turning it off (and egr code frim 3 weeks earlier).

OP
OP
D

Donben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since it sounds like you have eliminated the starter and battery, and you jumped directly to the starter you need to --Pull your oil filter and cut it open and inspect the element for metal, also you can pull your spark plugs and then see if the engine spins over. These test will eliminate a possible engine seizure( if filter has metal in it then the engine has started to seize) or a cylinder full of liquid.

No liquid in oil. No loss antifreeze just a sarter that only bunts forward 50% of time or does nothing.

Bypassing solenoid eng spins fine.

OP
OP
D

Donben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good news!!!! Found a used tipm to try and it fired right up!!! I was hesitant to use it as last two letters of part number were ab not ac. The wrecker said his computer said compatible (i pulled it off 08 1500 4X4 myself). Very happy.

Now i have to figure out serv 4wd thow. When i change 4X4 setting the lights just flash regardless off which position i try. Im assuming its the shift motor on transfer case itself. Seen youtube video looks easy to change. Try it on next days off.

Thanks for all the replies trying to help!

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good job. Thanks for letting us know what you found!!

OP
OP
D

Donben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rrrrrrrr. Spoke to soon. Worked great for a few days but now doing same thing, only bumps starter a bit and cuts out. Going to carefully inspect all wires/harness in and out of tipm as it is only thing i changed to make it run. Unless something shorted this tipm out too.

I noticed one new thing today. There is a weird sound coming from throttle body. Took cover off and it moves throttle plate a 1/4" open and back with a weird sound when key turned to start. It sounds almost like the click and shutter noise of a camera. Not sure if related.

Donovan

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what U R saying, sounds like a short. I had a 96 Jimmy with the ole 4.3L and that thang would not start. Turned out to be a corroded negative ground cable. But I am not a mechanic, sounds like needs to go on a machine to be trouble shoot, but just IMHO...

OP
OP
D

Donben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree. Just put on brand new battery cables and cleanned grounds again with no change. I looked at all harness under tipm all look good wires don't appear to have short. I give up, tow it Monday to dealer.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree. Just put on brand new battery cables and cleanned grounds again with no change. I looked at all harness under tipm all look good wires don't appear to have short. I give up, tow it Monday to dealer.

It's POSSIBLE that one of the pins on the TIPM plugs is loose. My wife's 2015 Escape wouldn't start and had to be towed to the dealership with only 2500miles on the ODO, turned out that a couple of pins on the ECU plug weren't seated in the plug properly and had vibrated free. Damn thing ran fine when they rolled it off the flatbed, if I hadn't talked with the driver and showed him the problem, I'm certain they would have had me foot the towing bill. They ended up giving us a rental for a few days while they worked with Ford engineers to figure out what the problem was.

OP
OP
D

Donben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried pushing every wire in when i cleaned harnesses last week, but i will look again. Anyone know which color wire in which harness is starter in back of tipm?

OP
OP
D

Donben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took it to dealer. Transfer case shift motor failed (I assumed as thats why serv 4wd light came on at start of this problem). They said the short in it was heating up and shorting tipm. When they unplugged it the truck started.

I've been driving it for 2 weeks no issues other than no 4wd. Part finally arrived (ebay was $550 cheaper than Dodge) going to install it this weekend.

My question is they said tipm would need to be replaced too. Any risk in changing new part and trying old tipm? Rather try first than order $2100 new tipm or spending $300-500 on another used one. I can't see how tipm could short new shift motor. Im assuming either will work or just be no power to new motor. Thoughts?

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would see if you are getting voltage out to the shift motor while its unplugged. If you are, I put the new motor in. Start it up shift in and out of 4x4 and see if the motor gets hot. If doesn't run it. I know of some ECMs that after a circuit was overheated the ecm would fail later on. What do you have to lose.
By the way thanks for letting us know what the problem was.