2008 ram 2500 vibration issue i need help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 08 ram 2500 5.7 Hemi 6ft bed 4 door with 145k on it i have worked on a lot of rams but this one is being a pain in the a## i have tried everything i have a vibration around 45 u start to feel it in the seats /steering wheel then when i hit 60mph+ the thing rattles/vibrates like crazy i cant tell where it is coming from feels like the middle of the truck but then why would i feel it in the wheel? it is NOT the death wobble. Things i have done so far Re balanced tires, replaced every dam ujoint on the truck, took front driveshaft out to see if that was it, flushed front and rear axles, replaced both front hubs, new rotors no pulses in the petal, Keep in mind it has always had this issue since i bought it 7 months ago i got a good deal on it i guess this is why. Also another thing i noticed no idea if it has anything to do with it but transfer case leaks someone replaced it at one point says 2016 on it can a transfer case cause this issue? 4wd works fine

Any suggestions appreciated cant even sell the truck cause no one will buy it like this i am stuck with it....

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Drive shaft?

Was the truck in an accident? Frame out of alignment?

Any issues with tire wear?

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no accidents reported and tires are like new forgot to mention when it does this feels like a pulsing vibration its a 2500 so i know you always get something but this is crazy the whole truck vibrates cant even do 60 down the parkway without my teeth rattling lol

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Can you get it on a rack and get someone to climb in the cab and you get under and listen while it is in gear.Try to get some speed and see this is just incase you haven't thought about doing that.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you get it on a rack and get someone to climb in the cab and you get under and listen while it is in gear.Try to get some speed and see this is just incase you haven't thought about doing that.

low speeds wont notice it don't think i could get it fast enough on a lift even if i had one i am going to borrow a gopro and mount it under the truck someone mentioned it to me maybe i can see what is goin on?

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
check the e-brake, i had mine hang and it did something very similar, also check your tire pressure (im sure you have done that), if you feel it in the steering wheel, check the front calipers, the only time ive had vibration like you have mentioned is when i had a brake sticking, but mine did it almost exactly like you describe when i had the E-brake lock up on one side of my truck

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
check the e-brake, i had mine hang and it did something very similar, also check your tire pressure (im sure you have done that), if you feel it in the steering wheel, check the front calipers, the only time ive had vibration like you have mentioned is when i had a brake sticking, but mine did it almost exactly like you describe when i had the E-brake lock up on one side of my truck

il check out the breaks again but i would think i woulda burnt the brake shoe out by now i drove it 4 hours the other day was hoping whatever it is would break but NOPE lol
and yea i have been messing with tire pressure to low high ect

AustinT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
i would say get it on a lift, put it in 4wd high, turn off traction control and run it up to 60mph and hold it there while someone looks at it underneath. That's how i check wheel bearings but Id imagine that it should work for this vibration. you could have lost a weight on the driveshaft, therefore throwing it out of balance.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
That is what I would do thanks AustinT.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nevermind, wrong year

Last edited:

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
When your up to speed where it shakes, throw the shifter in neutral to rule out the tranny as an issue.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I have a 08 ram 2500 5.7 Hemi 6ft bed 4 door with 145k on it i have worked on a lot of rams but this one is being a pain in the a## i have tried everything i have a vibration around 45 u start to feel it in the seats /steering wheel then when i hit 60mph+ the thing rattles/vibrates like crazy i cant tell where it is coming from feels like the middle of the truck but then why would i feel it in the wheel? it is NOT the death wobble. Things i have done so far Re balanced tires, replaced every dam ujoint on the truck, took front driveshaft out to see if that was it, flushed front and rear axles, replaced both front hubs, new rotors no pulses in the petal, Keep in mind it has always had this issue since i bought it 7 months ago i got a good deal on it i guess this is why. Also another thing i noticed no idea if it has anything to do with it but transfer case leaks someone replaced it at one point says 2016 on it can a transfer case cause this issue? 4wd works fine

Any suggestions appreciated cant even sell the truck cause no one will buy it like this i am stuck with it....

Is the inside of the bed beat up dented and what not?? How does the bumper and hitch receiver look??
I ask this because if it had been used/abused then you might have a bent axle housing from being overloaded...
I remember my dad telling me a story about a guy he knew. He bought a new truck drove it to get a load of top soil. Told the loader operator it was new and load it to the max. The operator did as told ... he dumped a full scoop in the bed. The man drove about 300yrds the axle snapped in half.
I always laughed when my dad told that story to anyone

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
When your up to speed where it shakes, throw the shifter in neutral to rule out the tranny as an issue.

Awesome idea. I still think it’s in the axle(s)

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Have done this still shakes like crazy i am going to tear it apart again this weekend check the ujoints in front axle again all breaks drive shafts ect AGAIN.. also picked up a gopro to mount underneath to see if i can see what is vibrating since i down have a lift cant do what others suggested,
Is the inside of the bed beat up dented and what not?? How does the bumper and hitch receiver look??
I ask this because if it had been used/abused then you might have a bent axle housing from being overloaded...
I remember my dad telling me a story about a guy he knew. He bought a new truck drove it to get a load of top soil. Told the loader operator it was new and load it to the max. The operator did as told ... he dumped a full scoop in the bed. The man drove about 300yrds the axle snapped in half.
I always laughed when my dad told that story to anyone

Truck is in actually ok shape it has been used has some dents and stuff but overall looks good dont think it was overloaded ect i bought it from a dealer really cheap because it did need some work just didn't know it had this issue.

Also if the axle was bent wouldn't it do it at low speeds to? i feel it at 45 then it goes away a little then 60+ its there 100% all the time

Last edited:
OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
going to drop rear driveshaft off to get it checked for balance and if its bent hopefully thats it. rip another $100:mad:

Braydon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same thing going on with my truck mines a 1500 2008 new wheel bearing tie rods outers upper and lower ball joints u joint look good I cannot get it to stop. It also makes a whirling sorta noise that’s gets loud the quite then loud in a cycle. Whenever I’m around 60 mph

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same thing going on with my truck mines a 1500 2008 new wheel bearing tie rods outers upper and lower ball joints u joint look good I cannot get it to stop. It also makes a whirling sorta noise that’s gets loud the quite then loud in a cycle. Whenever I’m around 60 mph

1500s are a little easier to figure out then 2500 in your case its probably something stupid whirling sounds is normally a bearing depending upon where the noise is coming from rear pinion bearings are common mine makes a little noise i flushed the rear and turn up the radio its common also did u check ur Tcase fluid level?

Update on my truck havnt had time to pull both driveshafts and have them looked at yet because i drive it every day... but i plan to soon just been driving it under 50 and local so i dont damage anything lol.