2010 4.7 knocking/tapping any thought???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You ought to be able to just turn the engine over (by wrench) now that you have the plugs out, and watch what happens with that valve. You could measure the valve articulation from the head with like a verneer caliper. Or run the engine w/o the valve cover, and just watch. Or measure the cam lobe. If you don't have a calipers, go buy a cheap one.

If by eye you can see the lobe isn't good (and measured smaller with a calipers) ...then worn is worn and you don't need to measure too much more. The cam would need to be replaced. The valve is probably opening, but maybe not very much, if the cam is worn, like you say. But if the cam looks good, maybe the lifter is 'flat'. There's a spring valve in the lifter and they can go bad. Some lifters can be taken apart and cleaned. IDT your can, unless you can pop the top off.

Was the compression taken with the engine cold? Or warm? 150-155 compression is fine for a cold engine. Even warm, it'll do, with miles. You'd probably like to see it in the 160 or higher range, but if it was taken cold it won't be as high. IDK what the 195 is about.

Sounds like you're making progress. It shouldn't take that long to ID the problem. Take that dowel (~5/8" would be good) and probe around the head as it's running (with the valve cover/s off). A guy ought to zero in on the noise in a minute or two. You 'might' be able to remove the cam and leave the gear in place ...w/o taking off the timing cover. Do some interweb searching. That would save ya a lot of time/headaches. But I haven't personally done it on that engine.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Say, what rpm was the engine running at when you shot the last video? It sounded like it was around 1200 or so...does that sound about right?

It'd be nice to hear when it's running at idle...600rpm or so. Timing ticks/knocks are appx 1/2 the speed of the engine. It's easier to differentiate top-end sounds from bottom-end, when it's running at lower RPM (at least for me). Cause that knock sounded kind of fast to me ...in that last video. But if the engine was running quick, it would make sense.

OP
OP
H

Hellaj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah that was a cold start around 1200rpm
This video Here is warm about maybe 6-800 rpm

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, that's definitely more like it (top end/timing).

OP
OP
H

Hellaj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went into the cylinders that I thought the knock was coming from, all cylinders
she seem to be in good shape with the crosshatching still on the walls not much carbon buildup, the top of the Pistons look normal couldn’t see no damage on the valves
I’ve been doing a little more research and I’m gonna check out my flex plate and get back to this form

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might as well pull the engine at this point ....if you haven't already. Put it on a stand. Send the heads out to get measured and redone. The machine shop ought to be able to ID any top-end issues. If there were ANY oil pressure concerns address them. Might as well replace the timing chain guides unless they look good. The plastic gets brittle and they're not that much. Maybe the chain tensioner. I'd probably keep the chain if it looked good. It's probably still good. Oil pump? Sticking in new rod and mains might not be a bad idea either. (keep the pistons/rings/etc). Depends how far you want to take things.

If you plan to keep the truck, you're doing the right thing

:waytogo: