2011 1500 No crank/no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dakotakid846

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got a 2011 1500 that I went to remote start and it didn't. Got in and saw a "remote start disabled" message. Put the key in and it started and stalled out 2 seconds later. Did this 3 or 4 times. Finally it started and ran...blew some white smoke and then was ok. Turned it off and then it became a no crank/no start. Dashboard lights up, messages for service trailer brake and service 4wd. Security light blinks and there is no PRNDL lit up.

Opened the hood and the TIPM. Heard some clicking coming from what appeared to be the ASD relay. Tested it for continuity and was OK. Starter works if jumped at the relay and fuel pump works if bypassed at the fuse. Put a scanner on it and got only a pending P0882 for TCM circuit voltage low. Battery is 4 months old but had it load tested just in case.

Pulled the battery and went through the same start/stall bs then no crank/no start again. Also now I get no activity out of the TIPM but a clicking from the ACC/RUN relay when turning the key. Also not able to link the scanner to the truck anymore.

Checked the 2 or 3 grounds that are visible at the top of the engine compartment but haven't ventured much further.

Any ideas or anyone experienced this themselves?

AStanE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got a 2011 1500 that I went to remote start and it didn't. Got in and saw a "remote start disabled" message. Put the key in and it started and stalled out 2 seconds later. Did this 3 or 4 times. Finally it started and ran...blew some white smoke and then was ok. Turned it off and then it became a no crank/no start. Dashboard lights up, messages for service trailer brake and service 4wd. Security light blinks and there is no PRNDL lit up.

Opened the hood and the TIPM. Heard some clicking coming from what appeared to be the ASD relay. Tested it for continuity and was OK. Starter works if jumped at the relay and fuel pump works if bypassed at the fuse. Put a scanner on it and got only a pending P0882 for TCM circuit voltage low. Battery is 4 months old but had it load tested just in case.

Pulled the battery and went through the same start/stall bs then no crank/no start again. Also now I get no activity out of the TIPM but a clicking from the ACC/RUN relay when turning the key. Also not able to link the scanner to the truck anymore.

Checked the 2 or 3 grounds that are visible at the top of the engine compartment but haven't ventured much further.

Any ideas or anyone experienced this themselves?

Clicking like you heard the relays engage each time when someone cycled the key, or chattering relays like they weren't staying pulled in, i.e., repeatedly clicking?
How did you check continuity? With an actual relay tester, or did you use some other method?

Can you locate your TCM and check the connector? My wife's Honda needed a new TCM a year ago, and had very similar codes to what you see. I have my doubts her TCM was bad, I feel like the connection was just in bad shape, but the emissions warranty of all things covered the TCM so they did it all anyways, and I didn't argue.

OP
OP
D

dakotakid846

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Follow up...

It was the PCM. Corrosion in the C1 connector, both sides.

New PCM and new C1 connector needed.