2011, 5.7 fuel economy, 8 MPG!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I don't have any answers to your questions but hello from 5040 miles away! I though you were in the state of Georgia here in the United States. Post some pictures of your truck so we can see it and where you live.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you for your replies. I dont think the speedo has to be calibrated because with the GPS, the speedo shows nearly the same numbers.

The truck has not been started for maybe 6 months or so. So i am expecting some improvement im MPGs. I also was not driving slowly and actually, I filled up today and with 41 litres i have driven nearly 200 KM (calculated with the google maps) and maybe it is not as bad.

Oh, and the JEEP thing, it is a disaster in MPGs, for I6 4.0 the auto got 7 MPG :D and i converted to manual and got 13-14 MPG.

So maybe i will change the gearing, but in my country, it's impossible and have to buy the parts from USA. Where can i get the information what i need to regear? For example: regearing the jeep from 3.07 to 3.73 needed the new carrier, but from 3.07 to 3.54 the carrier is not needed. So where can i get the info about these truck regearing?

PS. I loved the truck, drive very smooth, and dang, it is quick as hell :D

On a 2011 a re-gear should only require a ring and pinion swap on both diffs unlike the newer trucks that require the front diff to be swapped. I would take a look at the lifted forum and the DIY forum as a number of people have re-geared those trucks with good success. If I was going to regear with 37"s on the 6 speed I would personally look at either 4.56's or 4.88's with my own personal preference leaning to the 4.88's for the extra grunt unless you do a lot of highway driving.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello again,

So i have started my hemi not a long time ago.

I am getting horrible MPG. 8! 8!!! MPG arount town.

Running RC lift kit ans 37inch tires on 20s, but anyway, it seems too low for me.

What can i start from to increase MPG??
xxxxxxxx
You are driving a vehicle shaped like a brick, raised up to make air flow underneath even more turbulent and forcing your engine to turn big 'ol knobby mudders.

That's like me running around town in my mostly stock RAM all day at 3500K rpms.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello again,

Running RC lift kit ans 37inch tires on 20s, but anyway, it seems too low for me.

That WAY to low, something wrong...Should be getting like `12 -14 around town even with your oversized tires and all. Some other problem there.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Calculate MPG by hand and don’t trust the system. It’s more accurate that way.

Old Tractor Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't address the '37's, but - my 2012 4X4 with 4.7 was down to 9MPG - stock truck. Vehicle not throwing any codes. Had all 4, O2 sensors changed and calibrated, MPG jumped to 15 - 17.5 depending on drive conditions.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello again,

I'd ditch the 37's for sure. And find out what gear ratio you're running. Maybe it's a 3.92,

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
First thing I would do is check your spark plugs. They have a 30000 mile change interval. It would be best to use OEM plugs.

OP
OP
C

Chigladze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So after all your responses and comments, i decided to check everything in details.

The tires are not 37s!! Measured with the meter and it becomes 35.6 in height. 12.8 in width.
I think the truck has exhaust leak. On cold, some ticking is coming from the engine bay nearly 30-60 seconds (i think this is the most important issues for low MPG).
After the exhaust leak, i will change all O2s and spark plugs (Champion coppers are ok?).

One more thing. The truck steering wobbles a bit on small bumps. I think this is not a death wobble thing, but it is near to that (I have experienced death wobble on Jeep Wrangler and i knot how that feels :D )

These is my Instagram and photos where i live and my fleet is also there.

https://www.instagram.com/sandrochigladze/

49007478_349265705863504_7411790118853279744_n.jpg

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Steering wobble is indicative of something out of sorts with the suspension. Rough Country is not a first choice for a 6” lift here on the forum due to build quality issues, so it may be that. I would check to ensure your suspension is tight all around and fix or replace worn or damaged items as needed.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I don't have Instagram but that's a good looking truck. It sounds like you need to make sure the speedometer is 100% accurate, then hand calculate your mileage. I doubt an exhaust leak would cause very much loss in mileage but it should still be fixed. I would also have the steering and suspension inspected for wear and get an alignment.

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not know if it is calibrated. I have bought the truck as it is. So maybe the odo says 8 mpg but actually it gets 10?

This will require some math, but next time you fill up, zero out your trip meter. Then on your next fill up divide your mileage into your gallons. i.e. You went 385 miles and put in 25 gal of gas. 385 / 25 = 15.4. That will give you an accurate MPG.

LCACER

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my new '18 I put on my tires and wheel setup from my '10. Instantly lost about 2MPG I have 295/60/20 Toyo Open Country Xtreme II's.

10koch

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500 quad
Engine
5.7 hemi
On my 2012 1500 5.7 4x4 auto completely stock I only get 14.5 mpg

OP
OP
C

Chigladze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The front shocks are stock ones. I do not know how you call it, but the shocks have add on-s above and the lower control arms are lowered with the full skid plate and it also has a differential cover on it. the rear shocks are RC and the front lowering kit (i mean the skid plates, etc) are RC too.

Something is hitting in the steering wheel when this wobble happens. I think it will be tie rod end or something like that. The front right shock has some oil leakage, but when i checked it works how it should.

I think this is the link of the lift kit, which is installed on my truck. https://www.roughcountry.com/dodge-suspension-lift-kit-329c.html

charles Roldan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To fix this problem, Replace your IAT sensor and MAP sensor and you will go back to stock mpg, Those 2 sensors can go bad and never set off a code, once they go out, your truck goes 8.5-9.5 mpg from the stock 14-16mpg , Trust me I went through this and this trick is saving every old ram I find with bad mpg from faulty iat and map sensor ($60 total for both parts and 10mins of labor)