2011 HEMI Misfire P1416 (I've tried everything)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_Cuddlez88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
BLUF: Catastrophic lifter/CAM failure pictures attached for your time. 2011 RAM 1500 Sport with the 5.7, 194k miles. Had the lifter issue a couple years ago, started a long road of repairs that have led to my first post here. I am NOT mechanically inclined past what I've had to teach myself. Brief timeline to follow. I don't have an OBDII reader (until tomorrow), so a lot of this was me using the excuse to learn my truck and buy tools. I've replaced the lifters, push rods, cam, injectors, coil packs, spark plugs, VVT solenoids (all 5), and VVT solenoid wiring harness up to this point. I have no vacuum issues.

January 2020 I had the flashing engine light, took it in and replaced the lifters, pushrods, cam etc and had the mechanic put in a new exhaust manifold and headers. Bottom half of my engine is brand new, besides the block itself. No issues for a long time.

May-ish 2021, misfire appears. I'm in Southern California so it's cheaper to just have the oil change place on base do my oil change, and I had them run my codes. Came up P1416. Did some minor troubleshooting/research and decided to let the truck warm up for 10-15 minutes before driving it. Misfire COMPLETELY disappeared, and would not come back if I let the truck warm up. Decided to replace spark plugs since it seemed easy enough, didnt solve the issue.

June 2021 I get a little birthday money and bring the truck into a dealer. They tell me I have a failed lifter causing a misfire (P0306), that my intake manifold is cracked, and I need to replace the exhaust manifold. It was a lot of hot smoke up my rear end, but they did recommend I replace the VVT solenoids and wiring harness. So I order them myself and replace them, learning a lot about the weight of an intake manifold and how the solenoids like to break in half. IMPORTANT NOTE: One of the runners on my intake manifold was bone dry, and it happened to be my misfiring cylinder (see pictures). Got that done in a day, but the next day the misfire returned. My dry runner led me to think fuel injector.

July 2021, replaced the fuel injector with a new OEM part. Misfire went away for a day, then returned. I started a lot of field operations at work so I put the whole thing on the backburner.

Nov 27, 2021, I replace all the ignition coils/coil packs (now the red TRQ "performance" coils from 1aAuto) and all but 4 spark plugs (behind the brake booster, didn't know how to remove it). Drove fine for a minute, misfire came right on back.

The only thing I have left to replace now is the wires going from the coils to the injectors, possibly check solders under the fuse box (because heating the underhood area seems to fix the problem, and copper tends to expand under heat), or it is in fact the lifter again and it's just survived for 6 months without breaking, and having the problem fix itself with heat. I'm truly at a loss here, so I have an OBDII reader coming in tomorrow. Plan to swap the wires from one coil to another and see if the code switches cylinders. Will update when I do that, but wanting the village to brainstorm and see if anyone here has a clue what my next step should be, if I need one.

Last note, does anyone know what those wires connecting the coil pack and injector are called, or a part number? I can't seem to find anything.

Attachments

• 2020 CAM.JPG
    2020 CAM.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 43
  • 2020 Lifter.JPG
    2020 Lifter.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Dry Runner.jpg
    Dry Runner.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Normal Runner.jpg
    Normal Runner.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 43

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I do not know but look up allmoparparts.com - Benny is a preferred vendor in here. If anyone knows that answer, it will be him.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
BLUF: Catastrophic lifter/CAM failure pictures attached for your time. 2011 RAM 1500 Sport with the 5.7, 194k miles. Had the lifter issue a couple years ago, started a long road of repairs that have led to my first post here. I am NOT mechanically inclined past what I've had to teach myself. Brief timeline to follow. I don't have an OBDII reader (until tomorrow), so a lot of this was me using the excuse to learn my truck and buy tools. I've replaced the lifters, push rods, cam, injectors, coil packs, spark plugs, VVT solenoids (all 5), and VVT solenoid wiring harness up to this point. I have no vacuum issues.

January 2020 I had the flashing engine light, took it in and replaced the lifters, pushrods, cam etc and had the mechanic put in a new exhaust manifold and headers. Bottom half of my engine is brand new, besides the block itself. No issues for a long time.

May-ish 2021, misfire appears. I'm in Southern California so it's cheaper to just have the oil change place on base do my oil change, and I had them run my codes. Came up P1416. Did some minor troubleshooting/research and decided to let the truck warm up for 10-15 minutes before driving it. Misfire COMPLETELY disappeared, and would not come back if I let the truck warm up. Decided to replace spark plugs since it seemed easy enough, didnt solve the issue.

June 2021 I get a little birthday money and bring the truck into a dealer. They tell me I have a failed lifter causing a misfire (P0306), that my intake manifold is cracked, and I need to replace the exhaust manifold. It was a lot of hot smoke up my rear end, but they did recommend I replace the VVT solenoids and wiring harness. So I order them myself and replace them, learning a lot about the weight of an intake manifold and how the solenoids like to break in half. IMPORTANT NOTE: One of the runners on my intake manifold was bone dry, and it happened to be my misfiring cylinder (see pictures). Got that done in a day, but the next day the misfire returned. My dry runner led me to think fuel injector.

July 2021, replaced the fuel injector with a new OEM part. Misfire went away for a day, then returned. I started a lot of field operations at work so I put the whole thing on the backburner.

Nov 27, 2021, I replace all the ignition coils/coil packs (now the red TRQ "performance" coils from 1aAuto) and all but 4 spark plugs (behind the brake booster, didn't know how to remove it). Drove fine for a minute, misfire came right on back.

The only thing I have left to replace now is the wires going from the coils to the injectors, possibly check solders under the fuse box (because heating the underhood area seems to fix the problem, and copper tends to expand under heat), or it is in fact the lifter again and it's just survived for 6 months without breaking, and having the problem fix itself with heat. I'm truly at a loss here, so I have an OBDII reader coming in tomorrow. Plan to swap the wires from one coil to another and see if the code switches cylinders. Will update when I do that, but wanting the village to brainstorm and see if anyone here has a clue what my next step should be, if I need one.

Last note, does anyone know what those wires connecting the coil pack and injector are called, or a part number? I can't seem to find anything.

Injectors are usually described as fuel injectors pig tail harness.

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys I am a brand new member. Well I too have the famous Cam/Lifter failure at 159k miles. The dealer wants 10k to replace engine with a factory Reman RAM engine. I wish I could find someone to rebuild mine and put what I want in it but all the machine shops close to me are out of business. What do you guys think??

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kinda odd they want to replace the motor, did they find metal in the vvt actuator?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I am a brand new member. Well I too have the famous Cam/Lifter failure at 159k miles. The dealer wants 10k to replace engine with a factory Reman RAM engine. I wish I could find someone to rebuild mine and put what I want in it but all the machine shops close to me are out of business. What do you guys think??
Put a new cam in it and run it be done with it you likely dont need a full rebuild mine wiped out 2 lobes new lifters and a cam here i am running at 220k.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
welcome to the forum, I do encourage you to start a thread as opposed to jumping this dudes thread. I personally wouldnt dump ten grand into a 2012 unless it was a special truck with some extras, start a thread lets discuss it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
OP are you using nickle or iridium? Sounds like just an issue with #6 at this point? I have a hard time thinking it is lifter/can again, my guess it is something else even though most of the time it is that.

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im sorry. I figured i would do something wrong. Never done forums dont do social media

Bills86e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi Longbed
Dodge will not fix the problem of lifter rollers wearing out. The FIX is to cut grooves in lifter from the oil belly band down to each side of rollers. Bills86e

Hellcatram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have replaced the cam lifters coils and plugs and still getting the code you need to replace the MDS solenoid and magnets the magnets pick up the metal from the cam that got lobbed and block the oil passages you’ll have to replace all four of them because if you do one you’ll have it move to the next solenoid until they are all replaced. I hope this is able to help