2011 Laramie Longhorn rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barry Boyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am a new owner of a 2011 Laramie Longhorn. Just lovin all the options and looks and condition of it. I bought from a private owner and one always wonders if there were any issues with it that caused them to sell privately.

The ONLY thing I have found so far after 6 months is a noise. It's like a metal rattling noise when the truck is kind of lugging at around at 1400 RPMs in 5 gear. It goes away when it shifts down or above or below that rpm range. Like I said it's kind of when it's bogging down and says "Hey I need to shift down". It doesn't seem related to the "ECO" light on or off. The thing that worries me is that it seems like its underneath me in the transmission. Kind of like a metal knocking on the pan of the tranny.

If I didn't know better, which I don't, it sounds like a metal shield above the muffler shaking and creating the noise. It never happens on bumps or anything just at that 1400 RPM lugging range.

Any thoughts?

Jalynsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Have you had any luck figuring out the rattle? I have been having a similar issue with my 2015 ram 1500 5.7L. Mine normally happens when I start the truck and when the truck downshifts to 3rd or 4th gear when I slow down. Lately, I have also noticed it happening sometimes when I am just at idle. It almost sounds like a tin can rattling around in my exhaust. It does go away if I rev the engine up, or when I am driving down the road. I haven't really dug into it to try to figure it out yet as I hardly ever drive the truck anymore(Perks of having a company truck). My wife drives it more often than I do.

After reading a few forums, the thing that kept showing up was a possible loose heat shield on the exhaust manifold. I might try to get under my truck next weekend and see if I can pinpoint the rattle. If I can come up with anything, I will update you to see if you might be having the same issue.

Jalynsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Have you had any luck figuring out the rattle? I have been having a similar issue with my 2015 ram 1500 5.7L. Mine normally happens when I start the truck and when the truck downshifts to 3rd or 4th gear when I slow down. Lately, I have also noticed it happening sometimes when I am just at idle. It almost sounds like a tin can rattling around in my exhaust. It does go away if I rev the engine up, or when I am driving down the road. I haven't really dug into it to try to figure it out yet as I hardly ever drive the truck anymore(Perks of having a company truck). My wife drives it more often than I do.

After reading a few forums, the thing that kept showing up was a possible loose heat shield on the exhaust manifold. I might try to get under my truck next weekend and see if I can pinpoint the rattle. If I can come up with anything, I will update you to see if you might be having the same issue.

OP
OP
Barry Boyer

Barry Boyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the idea, that's really what it sounds like or at least the noise sounds like. No I haven't had anytime to look further right now, my grandson got married this weekend and I have been pretty busy. I might get out there today and look around.

Jscoobs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2015 sport has been having this at 1400 rpm but its only when it's in first gear. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

OP
OP
Barry Boyer

Barry Boyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I haven't but mine only does it is overdrive at 1400 RPM. As soon as it down****s it stops. Maybe nothing to worry about but I do.

Brent L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds crazy, but I spent a while chasing a metallic rattle. It turned out to be the ice in my metal insulated cup. Face palm.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don’t know if this is issue was solved or anyone else having this issues. However, Check the whole exhaust and any type of contact to anything. Also, check your transfer case front output shaft. The little ring around may be loose and causing the rattle. Most likely the exhaust hitting someplace. If it an aftermarket exhaust, could be hitting anywhere. If it stock, check the first clamp on the Passenger side and any hangers on the exhaust that may have come off. Had these issues as did my buddy.