2012 1500 4x4 conversion (yes, again)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MilitaryGreen1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello! I’m brand new here, as I recently purchased a 2012 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi from my father. It’s a beauty of a truck in my opinion, and the family ties are too strong to sell it anytime soon. The problem is, off-roading capabilities. It’s a 2wd and I often need 4wd as I’ve already gotten it stuck plenty of times. And I know the first of y’all will comment “it’s not worth it” and “sell it to buy a 4x4”, but I’m dead set on keeping this truck for years and years to come! My question is, what will it truly take to complete this conversion? I was thinking to buy a wrecked 4x4 of the same year, and swapping the driveline along with bed and cab. what do y’all think?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have a nice truck. Hey...what's wrong with 2WDs?? :D

I'll say right off I don't have specific answers to your question. I would search out this site and also do Google & Youtube searches too. I guess the place to start is determining how different the frames are (if at all) between the two. Probably someone here can chime in. Or you could go on the Mopar website and see if they are the same part number. Besides the mechanicals you'd have the wiring too, I suspect. Anything is do-able. I mean, even if the frames are different, if you had a good frame you could always swap, or stub-in the 4x4 front frame to yours (if need be). What's your truck's cab/bed type? Tranny?

Another option ...even though you said you didn't want to go that route, is ...Have you considered using the money you would use to buy a "parts 4x4" to purchase something along the lines of a mid-90's Toyota 4x4, or a 4Runner ...which you could camp in in the CO mtns? Use that as your dedicated off-roader and keep your father's truck mint? Be a lot easier and give you a bunch of free time to explore the trails. They're also kind of fun in the dirt/rocks/trails. But hey ...if you're up to it, I say go for converting yours. I'll be following this post. I'm sure others will have more specific answers. Cheers! :favorites13:

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Off the top of my head you’ll need a front axle, transfer case, a way to activate the 4WD, drive shaft and electronics. You’d be better off getting a quad and use the truck to get the quad to the trails.

Also you’d need to lift the truck, as well as making sure the gears match the front differential. It would be a heck of a project.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It would take alot to do this you basically would need a whole parts truck if your dead set on keeping this truck just keep it nice and buy a older 3rd gen for off roading ect they are cheap nowadays .

OP
OP
MilitaryGreen1500

MilitaryGreen1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have a nice truck. Hey...what's wrong with 2WDs?? :D

I'll say right off I don't have specific answers to your question. I would search out this site and also do Google & Youtube searches too. I guess the place to start is determining how different the frames are (if at all) between the two. Probably someone here can chime in. Or you could go on the Mopar website and see if they are the same part number. Besides the mechanicals you'd have the wiring too, I suspect. Anything is do-able. I mean, even if the frames are different, if you had a good frame you could always swap, or stub-in the 4x4 front frame to yours (if need be). What's your truck's cab/bed type? Tranny?

Another option ...even though you said you didn't want to go that route, is ...Have you considered using the money you would use to buy a "parts 4x4" to purchase something along the lines of a mid-90's Toyota 4x4, or a 4Runner ...which you could camp in in the CO mtns? Use that as your dedicated off-roader and keep your father's truck mint? Be a lot easier and give you a bunch of free time to explore the trails. They're also kind of fun in the dirt/rocks/trails. But hey ...if you're up to it, I say go for converting yours. I'll be following this post. I'm sure others will have more specific answers. Cheers! :favorites13:
Hello! I’ve been looking around a bunch but it doesn’t seem many people have gone through with this swap before. Much more financially intelligent than me . I’ll definitely take up your advice and start figuring what different on the frames! I have a crew cab with a 5’ 7” bed. Honesty considered getting an older 4x4 but man I just always end up going down a dirt road, up a little hill, and smack in the middle of some thick mud haha. Really want to make this truck into a one of a kind rig!

OP
OP
MilitaryGreen1500

MilitaryGreen1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fyi, I’m not worried about the cost. Sentimental value of the truck out-ways what most people deem irrational. And I have lots of hook ups in the automotive industry, body shops, engine swap guys, tranny swap guys, etc so I’m hoping with a lot of help I can get her done! I’ve just started the process so what I need right now is a solid plan, and I’m hoping y’all can help me out!

OP
OP
MilitaryGreen1500

MilitaryGreen1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Off the top of my head you’ll need a front axle, transfer case, a way to activate the 4WD, drive shaft and electronics. You’d be better off getting a quad and use the truck to get the quad to the trails.

Also you’d need to lift the truck, as well as making sure the gears match the front differential. It would be a heck of a project.
Already got a Raptor 700, quad is checked off the list! Was planning on lifting the truck and upgrading the suspension anyways, it’s already leveled on 30s

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Already got a Raptor 700, quad is checked off the list! Was planning on lifting the truck and upgrading the suspension anyways, it’s already leveled on 30s
If your pockets are deep enough, let the build begin ! Hope you start a thread with pics and reviews of how this progresses.

OP
OP
MilitaryGreen1500

MilitaryGreen1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your pockets are deep enough, let the build begin ! Hope you start a thread with pics and reviews of how this progresses.
That’s the plan! Already started building up the funds, just need to get my plan straight. If I can find a good donor and make sure I know everything I need to do, build should start in a month or two!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That’s the plan! Already started building up the funds, just need to get my plan straight. If I can find a good donor and make sure I know everything I need to do, build should start in a month or two!
Looking forward to following your build.

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The frame is different between 2 and 4 wheel drive
You'll need the transmission and transfer case out of a 4x4 along with a front diff geared the same as the rear,as well as front and rear drive shafts

If this was my truck,I would seriously consider a solid axle swap...my $.02

OP
OP
MilitaryGreen1500

MilitaryGreen1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The frame is different between 2 and 4 wheel drive
You'll need the transmission and transfer case out of a 4x4 along with a front diff geared the same as the rear,as well as front and rear drive shafts

If this was my truck,I would seriously consider a solid axle swap...my $.02
Solid axle swap, hmmm. Doesn’t sound like a half bad idea. What would be the pros to a solid axle setup vs stock, and what truck would have compatible axles to swap in?

gtomike60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Pro...solid axle is generally simpler in design with less geometry issues for steering and suspension
you can usually get more flex with long arms than you can with IFS for rock crawling

Cons...you'll have fabrication work to do either way unless you get a 4x4 frame with everything you need on it and swap your cab/bed over

Axle I'm not sure,but you can look into pre IFS Ram 1500 for compatability
Get a manual shift transfer case so you don't have to deal with electrical to get the t-case shift knob to work

Either way is going to be expensive and time consuming

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Solid axle swaps sound good, and look good in pictures, but on the Hummer H3 forums ..all the guys who've done them talk it up how great they are. Then eventually they sell their trucks ...after a lot of work. Many then get another stock H3. Some of the brave guys have fessed up that no matter what they did they could never get them to handle very well. And some of the SAS were very well fabbed up. Course 37-40" tires don't help either! There's a lot of subtle engineering that goes into SAS.

But in the case of a RAM, you might be able to graft parts from a 3/4 ton and do a swap that way.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess if there isn't much info out there, I would find a 4x4 of a similar year to yours (maybe at a dealer??) and park your truck next to it ..and start looking underneath. Inspect what's different/same between the two frames. Make a drawing and write down key measurements. Are the necessary holes in place? Mounting tabs, etc?

Just because RAM lists frames as being different, ..the differences could come down to simple tab and welded-on brackets which might be easy to duplicate and weld onto your truck. If you have good fab skills. If you're paying for this work to be done. Sell it and go buy another similar color truck that is already 4x4.

OTOH, if the frames are vastly different, then you might call around to the major salvage yards or check these Ebay recyclers, and find out how much a 4x4 frame would cost. You probably want to find a frame from a truck which was from a flood or non-structural damage. You don't want anything which was hit (although frames can be straightened). Frames by themselves usually aren't very expensive.

The xfer case I would think about. I would go with whatever the newer version of the Select-Trac is. I don't remember the new number, but there was one used in the 3rd gen's which had a center diff but was lockable. The front diff shouldn't be too expensive. The CV axles I would just buy brand new. Salvage or ebay front driveshaft. Or find one in a salvage yard you can get all that stuff and maybe wiring from.

Your goal of keeping this sentimental truck "nice" (as I read your post) ...and building it out as a one-off seem to conflict each other ..LOL Or am I reading what you wrote wrong?

I think selling this truck now, while the market is still good, and buying another same-color 4x4 is a much better idea. And put a picture of your dad on the dash. He'll be smiling at you that you did the right thing.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It would take alot to do this you basically would need a whole parts truck if your dead set on keeping this truck just keep it nice and buy a older 3rd gen for off roading ect they are cheap nowadays .

Op, trust this guys advice! He knows his ****

OP
OP
MilitaryGreen1500

MilitaryGreen1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess if there isn't much info out there, I would find a 4x4 of a similar year to yours (maybe at a dealer??) and park your truck next to it ..and start looking underneath. Inspect what's different/same between the two frames. Make a drawing and write down key measurements. Are the necessary holes in place? Mounting tabs, etc?

Just because RAM lists frames as being different, ..the differences could come down to simple tab and welded-on brackets which might be easy to duplicate and weld onto your truck. If you have good fab skills. If you're paying for this work to be done. Sell it and go buy another similar color truck that is already 4x4.

OTOH, if the frames are vastly different, then you might call around to the major salvage yards or check these Ebay recyclers, and find out how much a 4x4 frame would cost. You probably want to find a frame from a truck which was from a flood or non-structural damage. You don't want anything which was hit (although frames can be straightened). Frames by themselves usually aren't very expensive.

The xfer case I would think about. I would go with whatever the newer version of the Select-Trac is. I don't remember the new number, but there was one used in the 3rd gen's which had a center diff but was lockable. The front diff shouldn't be too expensive. The CV axles I would just buy brand new. Salvage or ebay front driveshaft. Or find one in a salvage yard you can get all that stuff and maybe wiring from.

Your goal of keeping this sentimental truck "nice" (as I read your post) ...and building it out as a one-off seem to conflict each other ..LOL Or am I reading what you wrote wrong?

I think selling this truck now, while the market is still good, and buying another same-color 4x4 is a much better idea. And put a picture of your dad on the dash. He'll be smiling at you that you did the right thing.
It’s not really about keeping this one nice, it’s about keeping a truck that means a lot to me but also fits my style. It was going to get heavily modded anyway, and while this probably doesn’t make sense, knowing the base of it all was from the sentimental truck is what matters to me. It’s exactly financially responsible, but im a high schooler with an ok paycheck, and don’t really have bills to pay. Most of my family is in the automotive industry, and there are lots of friends of friends an arm’s lengths away. Hopefully that is what will help me get through this build under budget! Oh and all the information you stated was amazing, appreciate it!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm all cool with it. I say go for it! It sounds like if anyone can pull this off, it will be you and your great energy. When you start, guys here would probably love to keep up on what you're doing, what you've learned. And lot of guys here have done various mods they might be able to share. Maybe make a few videos too. There are probably other owners who could benefit from what you're doing. Manufacturers have made vehicles a lot more 'modular' these days trying to reduce manufacture/stock multiple components, hopefully that'll help you out. Like I say, at some point you might just have to get two similar vehicles (one 4x4) next to each other (ground or hoist) and do a visual inspection/measurements.

I used to do heavy mods like that when I was a lot younger too. Ran with the street rod and bodyshop crowd. Got into street rod fabrication. It was a lot of fun. Did some nice rod projects. Still have a few projt's going (on the side).

:favorites13:

OP
OP
MilitaryGreen1500

MilitaryGreen1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm all cool with it. I say go for it! It sounds like if anyone can pull this off, it will be you and your great energy. When you start, guys here would probably love to keep up on what you're doing, what you've learned. And lot of guys here have done various mods they might be able to share. Maybe make a few videos too. There are probably other owners who could benefit from what you're doing. Manufacturers have made vehicles a lot more 'modular' these days trying to reduce manufacture/stock multiple components, hopefully that'll help you out. Like I say, at some point you might just have to get two similar vehicles (one 4x4) next to each other (ground or hoist) and do a visual inspection/measurements.

I used to do heavy mods like that when I was a lot younger too. Ran with the street rod and bodyshop crowd. Got into street rod fabrication. It was a lot of fun. Did some nice rod projects. Still have a few projt's going (on the side).

:favorites13:
I plan in documenting everything and sharing it! As stubborn as I am to get this build done, I know I lack lots of the knowledge and y’all’s help means the world to me! From what I’ve gathered so far it’s looking like finding a wrecked 2500 and going from there. Doing as much research as I possibly can before jumping into this

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's just an object, there are thousands and thousands just like it. Remove your sentimental attachment, sell it, and get what you need. Trying to convert it is just foolish on so many levels, It's just a truck....

I rarely see these ideas come to fruition and even if they do they are a buibba'd up mess with all kinds of issues (if they even get completed). As much as you are excited about this You will be no different than the ~100 other excited kids I have seen make a post like this.

The most likely scenario is you will end up with a pile of parts on your hands and a non-working truck. What kind of sentimental value will it have at that point?

Not what you want to hear, but it's the honest truth......

Last edited: