2012 4.7 - deeper sound (lower note), not louder. Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raminal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey. I have a 2012 with the 4.7. Not very powerful but it has certainly been working well for me.

I am curious if there's a way I can give the engine a lower note without adding too much volume (don't want to just take the muffler off lol)? I see most people want to make exhausts louder when going aftermarket so I'm having trouble sifting through everything online. Are there exhaust systems designed just to offer a deeper sound? Is it even possible with the 4.7? Are there little things that can help? Like can I add larger pipes to the existing exhaust? Could I just ditch resonators (legal where I am). What would a complete new air filter do for sound (if anything)? If I need to buy aftermarket, any ideas on what suits my needs? I'm not too concerned with costs right now, just wonder in what ways this can be done if possible. I'm not a mechanic and I know the 4.7 is a small V8 but still, it's not a 4 cylinder, there should be some way out there to get a deep note out of it. Deeper the stock.

In the end I don't care if it's quiet when driving because I'm just looking for a deeper idling note (think diesel idling) without blowing pedestrians off the sidewalk. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Only you can decide how much noise is acceptable, but the standard exhaust isn't bad for the 4.7 from a performance stand point. So short of headers or a cat-back setup you don't have to do a lot. If you already have dual exhaust you're pretty much done (IMHO).

You can get a lot of noise from a chambered muffler--Flowmaster

You can get more noise with a deeper rumble from a straight flow muffler--Magnaflow.

You can get better performance from headers and a new muffler.

The OEM muffler is as big as a ship's anchor. After market will be smaller, but you have options from 14" all the way up to 24", or even a delete pipe (your neighbors will hate you).

So listen to some U-tube clips, check out the previous muffler threads and the preferred vendors, then maybe find a muffler shop in your area to see what work they do and don't do and get a feel for price.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would say MagnaFlow will be your friend, if your exhaust pipes are in good/great shape do not do the cat back but rather just replace the muffler. Happy hunting.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
24" Magnaflow
Possibly 22" Magnaflow

Youtube search those two, along with ram 4.7
and let your ears decide.

Luck to you

alfred.romero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Hey. I have a 2012 with the 4.7. Not very powerful but it has certainly been working well for me.

I am curious if there's a way I can give the engine a lower note without adding too much volume (don't want to just take the muffler off lol)? I see most people want to make exhausts louder when going aftermarket so I'm having trouble sifting through everything online. Are there exhaust systems designed just to offer a deeper sound? Is it even possible with the 4.7? Are there little things that can help? Like can I add larger pipes to the existing exhaust? Could I just ditch resonators (legal where I am). What would a complete new air filter do for sound (if anything)? If I need to buy aftermarket, any ideas on what suits my needs? I'm not too concerned with costs right now, just wonder in what ways this can be done if possible. I'm not a mechanic and I know the 4.7 is a small V8 but still, it's not a 4 cylinder, there should be some way out there to get a deep note out of it. Deeper the stock.

In the end I don't care if it's quiet when driving because I'm just looking for a deeper idling note (think diesel idling) without blowing pedestrians off the sidewalk. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I got a Gibson single exit cat back exhaust. It added more power and deeper tone. It sounds a lot better than stock and has no highway drone. I got it on Amazon with free shipping and no tax for $297! It's completely bolt on so you can do it in your garage/driveway. 15 minute install if you know what you are doing.

If you want the sound to be mellow, don't get an intake. It increases the loudness a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

raminal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks to all the suggestions. You've all given me a place to start.

And I think I found what I want but need more opinions.

Ok, so I like this:
https://youtu.be/kk8CUzC8AdU
Even the side exit exhaust is what I'd do too.

And then this:
https://youtu.be/jmyKIAVsvyo?t=15s

I think technically the second system is much cleaner, and probably sounds much better than the first. The reason I like the first one more is because to my ears, it sounds like the Ram in video one has a slightly slower idle then the second. I think on older engines the idle speed was controlled by a timing chain? Not sure how it all works these days. But, part of the sound want includes a slow idle speed. I'm not looking to slow the idle speed of my Ram, but if I get just a magnapak muffler with no other mods (besides a side exit) I HOPE it would turn out like video 1.

What are other thought's on these 2 videos??? Am I crazy for thinking the truck in video 1 sounds like it has a slightly slower idle speed?

alfred.romero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I like the side exit. My truck didn't have the dual cut outs on the bumper.

yanclanman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put Flowmaster 50 series on my truck. Nice deep note when it starts and under acceleration. Best part is no drone on the highway!

OP
OP
R

raminal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just put Flowmaster 50 series on my truck. Nice deep note when it starts and under acceleration. Best part is no drone on the highway!

Any other mods to go with it or just the flowmaster?