2012 HD Stutter at highway speeds then runs rough until restart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kabuki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have 89k miles on the truck, bought it used a little over a year ago. Mostly it sits until I need a manly vehicle but the van is down at the moment so the Ram is my daily driver now. A couple weeks ago I was driving up the interstate at speed about 30 minutes into my 45 minute drive when I felt a stutter in the truck. Just one kind of hickup so to speak, not horrendous but noticeable for sure. Then the truck started running rough, the CEL came on , then the traction light came on, a few seconds later, the truck started chiming at me. I pulled off the interstate and took back roads because I wasn't sure what was happening and don't want to get stuck on the interstate. It rode rough all the way to work. I took it out to a local shop at lunch and told them what happened. When I finally heard back they said all was well. They didn't say what codes were present if any, I presume they would have mentioned any codes present. Said they cleared it, test drove it and seems ok. I took it home and they seemed to be right. This morning it did it again. I stopped in the AutoZone parking lot, I mean hey, if it is broke why not make it easy on myself... I waited a few minutes, started it up and it drove fine the rest of the way to work. Any ideas what might be happening. Seems intermittent, wiring or connectors? Heals itself on restart...

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Water in the fuel? Some codes would be helpful. If the CEL came on there should be some codes. If it is a wiring or connector, some codes will help narrow down which circuit since there are probably 100 or so connectors and a few miles of wire.

I dislike shops that just clear the codes and say "all is well". They could at least write them down before clearing them. It will help a real shop track down the problem if they have a list / history of codes.

OP
OP
K

kabuki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I put a can of Sea Foam in it with the last fill up. Bad gas is always possible but there were a few fill ups in between plus an additive with this one. Maybe I'll try Heet next time. I have a code reader, I will keep it in the truck from now on to read them myself. I just took the truck out at lunch, the CEL is still on so maybe I can get a code tonight but the traction light is not on now nor is it chiming at me.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I put a can of Sea Foam in it with the last fill up. Bad gas is always possible but there were a few fill ups in between plus an additive with this one. Maybe I'll try Heet next time. I have a code reader, I will keep it in the truck from now on to read them myself. I just took the truck out at lunch, the CEL is still on so maybe I can get a code tonight but the traction light is not on now nor is it chiming at me.
A lot of OBD computers will disable traction control, ABS etc when it’s in a mode that wants to preserve all energy towards critical systems to keep you going down the road.

Never go back to the all is well shop. They didn’t bother to get you the codes; don’t waste your time there again. What codes did you find?

I’ve had a similar issue which was injector wiring related on one cylinder. Funny part is the resolution was masked by engine moving on shutdown. Because the fix was positional, I had a short unless the injector wire was moved one direction.

Get the codes. Healing starts from there, guessing makes things worse or just plain expensive throwing money at it.

OP
OP
K

kabuki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the response, I agree with you on everything. Fortunately I suppose it hasn't done it since that second time. I just replaced the passenger side front hub assy, rotor and pads. Driver side tomorrow.