2013-2018 How-To Install Thuren/Carli Coil Leveling Kit w/Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
As mentioned earlier, I have made a tutorial of how I installed my thuren 2" leveling coil kit with their overland shocks. This is how I did it, a technique, and was a successful install. Let me know if yall have any questions!

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm just wondering if it was worth it to go with a full kit swap, versus just doing the bilsteins. 500 bucks is a sizeable cost difference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm just wondering if it was worth it to go with a full kit swap, versus just doing the bilsteins. 500 bucks is a sizeable cost difference.

It is, although if you want a plusher ride than coils are the way to go. Our HD trucks are already stiff, but the kit makes it feel a lot smoother.

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
@Zeke Rangel Question that I don't recall you addressing in any of your vids... Do you tow? And if so, what? That was one of the reasons I swapped my 1500 for a 2500.

Really want the level for the sake of aesthetics, and looking even more towards the full kit with rear coils and shocks. They don't mention anything regarding towing in regards to the kit you got so I assume that while a little plusher up front, it's still a 3/4 ton truck- meaning it's still got the stiffness up front. But they do mention that their rear springs and shocks are more off-road intended, so they are definitely "softer", but allude to tow performance suffering (with regards to the response to downward weight on the hitch ball).

Trying to decide if adding that little bit of lift in the rear is worth reverting to 1/2 ton towing performance. But also trying to justify a full kit for leveling the front as opposed to just going with the shocks.

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
@Zeke Rangel Question that I don't recall you addressing in any of your vids... Do you tow? And if so, what? That was one of the reasons I swapped my 1500 for a 2500.

Really want the level for the sake of aesthetics, and looking even more towards the full kit with rear coils and shocks. They don't mention anything regarding towing in regards to the kit you got so I assume that while a little plusher up front, it's still a 3/4 ton truck- meaning it's still got the stiffness up front. But they do mention that their rear springs and shocks are more off-road intended, so they are definitely "softer", but allude to tow performance suffering (with regards to the response to downward weight on the hitch ball).

Trying to decide if adding that little bit of lift in the rear is worth reverting to 1/2 ton towing performance. But also trying to justify a full kit for leveling the front as opposed to just going with the shocks.

The most my truck tows is my fat ass. I do plan on getting a boat or camper in a couple years, but until then I myself am maxing out the payload capacity of the truck. I know thuren does mention, if you plan to tow more than 8K lbs then consider air bags/timbrens with your rear coils. I only installed the fronts, because I am still not sure if I want to install their rear kit. Essentially, I will be turning my 2500 suspension into a 1500 suspension. At least that's how I think of it. The options that I have noted are the following:

1. Thuren rear 1" kit with overland shocks. Once I start to tow or throw decent payload weight into the bed, then I plan on doing the following:

-Buy overpriced bump stops for the truck called timbrens. They will prevent the truck from sagging (with the thuren rear kit), but the ride will be more harsh.
-Buy airlift ultimate bags w/daystar cradles.

Im telling you, these front coils & shocks made a hell of a difference. Feels good and plushy like I wanted, especially when your dropping serious coin to level instead of leveling pucks. It makes sense for me to install the rear kit only because I don't plan on towing for at least a couple years. At that point, I could change my setup and go with one option I listed above with the rear kit. I honestly don't think the rear coils and shocks will raise the rear a full 1". Based on my research, most gain about 1/2"-3/4", but they sag once you put some air in the bed of the truck. If I were you, I would hit up their help line/email Chris and I am sure he can give you the advice/route that you need. If I were you, I would go 2" front coils/shocks, and if you tow a lot than keep stock rear coils and upgrade your rear shocks. I too am hesitant to decrease my 2500 capabilities, but it is an easy call for me to install the front since I won't put a plow, or very large bumper on it. Just my .02 cents bro.

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Big difference between the Thuren rear coils and stock as far as payload and towing. I went with timbrens as I rarely tow anything more than a 3k boat. But I do tow my dads boat on occasion probably just a hair under 1k tongue weight, stock coils less than an inch movement. Thurens went to the timbrens that have about a 2" gap.

There is a lot of ride improvement from the rear coils so its worth it, to me. If I end up with a larger boat myself I will upgrade to air bags.

OP
OP
Motor Head

Motor Head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Big difference between the Thuren rear coils and stock as far as payload and towing. I went with timbrens as I rarely tow anything more than a 3k boat. But I do tow my dads boat on occasion probably just a hair under 1k tongue weight, stock coils less than an inch movement. Thurens went to the timbrens that have about a 2" gap.

There is a lot of ride improvement from the rear coils so its worth it, to me. If I end up with a larger boat myself I will upgrade to air bags.
Thanks for the insight. Seems that my sight on crosshairs is accurate once I start using my truck as a truck!