Maxtrac 2.5" coils and shocks VS Rough Country 2" and shocks

Which of these have you had better experience with?

• R/C w/shocks

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Maxtrac w/shocks

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • R/C no shocks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maxtrac no shocks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigHornGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Hey everyone I'm looking to at least level my 1500 rwd bighorn and kinda on the fence between maxtrac 2.5" coils and shocks or the rough country 2" coils and shocks. The price difference is about and extra 65 for the maxtrac kit through Ebay, my truck sits about 2" lower in the front than in the rear which means I'll probably be running at least 1.5" rear coil spacers to offset any squatting from the "leveling" haha

My questions to everyone who has had experience with either of the mentioned kits are

How good is the ride? Considering how biased we are when upgrading parts haha

Does it ride like factory?

Should I go with just either set of just coils and get different brand shocks?

What type of rear shock do you recommend as well?

I will be doing the whole front end and posibly rear bushings since the truck has 150k and even though she rides smooth I understand the amount of stress the leveling will put on the suspension parts.

I'm setting her up so I can install a set of ion 184 series in the 20x9 configuration, I don't know the offset on the wheels as the seller didn't know but they where on a 2008 rwd wrangler with no lift of any kind and the 33x12.50R20 repulsor tires have no signs of rubbing.

The only configuration I have found for this wheel that has the 5x5 bolt pattern while being 20x9 are either 0 offset or -18, I understand 0 offset is like factory wheels and that normally a -12 offset is good but haven't really found much on -18.

Although I'm inclined to think that by the looks on the fitment on the Wrangler these are the 0 offset ones.

Attached a picture of my Ram and the Wrangler with my "new" wheels lol.

Any input WILL be appreciated. :D

20200927_163131.jpg

received_331413487958396.jpeg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
My vote, Maxtrac. Ive had 2 trucks with their kits, never an issue, and their CS is awesome, AND, they are on this forum as a sponsor and here , to me that speaks loud for them as well.

and on my leveled 2015, I did 20x9 with 0 offset, and a 285/65/20, which is a 34.5" and no rubbing

20160402_132028.jpg

OP
OP
BigHornGuy

BigHornGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
My vote, Maxtrac. Ive had 2 trucks with their kits, never an issue, and their CS is awesome, AND, they are on this forum as a sponsor and here , to me that speaks loud for them as well.

and on my leveled 2015, I did 20x9 with 0 offset, and a 285/65/20, which is a 34.5" and no rubbing

View attachment 224739

That looks good @Graygoose What kind of level on that 2015?

I do like the spindles but what I've been reading is that they tend to make the front wheel tires stick out further than the rears, i haven't actually seen one in person or from anyone i know so i can't really say, do they really stick out much?

I was actually looking at getting the 4.5" lift spindles for front and 3" lift coils for the back but then I don't know what to do with the shocks lol

Did you run the maxtrac shocks as well?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
That looks good @Graygoose What kind of level on that 2015?

I do like the spindles but what I've been reading is that they tend to make the front wheel tires stick out further than the rears, i haven't actually seen one in person or from anyone i know so i can't really say, do they really stick out much?

I was actually looking at getting the 4.5" lift spindles for front and 3" lift coils for the back but then I don't know what to do with the shocks lol

Did you run the maxtrac shocks as well?
that level I had crappy spacers, then went full 4.5" and 3" rear, with their shocks.
My white 2019, 4.5/3" with Fox shocks.

The spacing out is barely noticeable.
If you dislike, add a Bora spacer for the rear.

OP
OP
BigHornGuy

BigHornGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
that level I had crappy spacers, then went full 4.5" and 3" rear, with their shocks.
My white 2019, 4.5/3" with Fox shocks.

The spacing out is barely noticeable.
If you dislike, add a Bora spacer for the rear.

Thanks for the input man! I think I might pull the trigger on the coils although I found a set of eibach 2.75" that has got me thinking too lol

As far as the spacers for the wheels I ran a full set on the 2012 I had and never had any issues since they where hubcentric but the wheels I'm putting on have a center bore of 87mm according to their website so I already have to get the rings to help avoid any vibration issues. So I don't know if the wheel spacers for rear would be an added issue.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Bora makes some very popular, and good spacers.

After I leveled, changed everything in the looks category!

MudderRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the RCs with springs. So far about 3k miles on them (I think) No issues and the ride quality is good. Got 2" of lift. Would do again if I had to. Unless I wanted to go higher with an actual loft kit. The price is good too.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have the 7" lift with fox shocks all around and the front does stick out a bit more but honestly it is not noticeable unless you pointed out to people ... I haven't had one single person say or ask about it ...

I wouldn't use a spacer in the back wheels .... so definitely go with Maxtrac and get it with the fox shocks my truck rides better than stock now ...

bbaxley01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have a question. My son is wanting to lift/level his 2017 RWD. I did an Eibach lift up on my 4wd not long ago and he wants a similar look.

It appears that Maxtrac is the way to go for 2.5 level. Does this system work the same as the Eibach? I don’t see where Eibach produces a rwd option so I am assuming they are out?

I also see comments about spindle lifts. I am assuming those are for larger than 2.5 inch lifts, like the 4/3lift. Is that true?

OP
OP
BigHornGuy

BigHornGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I missed these replies before, thank everyone who provided input, I did go with the RC package since all I want really is level her out and for $169.99 I couldn't really pass on it. I did have a $30 credit on Ebay so that is why I ended up paying what I paid :D

I have the RCs with springs. So far about 3k miles on them (I think) No issues and the ride quality is good. Got 2" of lift. Would do again if I had to. Unless I wanted to go higher with an actual loft kit. The price is good too.

That sounds like very good news to me lol, got any pictures of how it looks? I mean other than your avatar lol

Also did you change anything else?

Any alignment issues?

Just want to know what to expect :D

MudderRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I missed these replies before, thank everyone who provided input, I did go with the RC package since all I want really is level her out and for $169.99 I couldn't really pass on it. I did have a $30 credit on Ebay so that is why I ended up paying what I paid :D

That sounds like very good news to me lol, got any pictures of how it looks? I mean other than your avatar lol

Also did you change anything else?

Any alignment issues?

Just want to know what to expect :D
No issues at all. Just make sure you undo the sway bar links of will not have enough space to slide the new struts. You will need an alignment after the fact. Drives like stock.