2013 3500 SRW intermittent TPMS warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As the title says, I have a 2013 3500 SRW. It doesn’t have TPMS. Yet when going up steep hills, especially on bumpy roads, or when accelerating to highway speed I get and audible alert and the TPMS warning light will flash on for a split second. Every now and then it will kick off the cruise control. I took it to the dealer, the flashed the PCM (maybe the ECM I don’t remember RN) and told me that should do and charged me $214. It’s still doing it. Has this been encountered before???

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excuse my ignorance, do 3500s not have TPMS ? My 2013 2500 has it. In any case, if it kicks off cruise control I'm more thinking it's a wheel speed sensor issue. Seems unlikely that you get a TPMS warning if that's disabled in the BCM.

OP
OP
drittal

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Excuse my ignorance, do 3500s not have TPMS ? My 2013 2500 has it. In any case, if it kicks off cruise control I'm more thinking it's a wheel speed sensor issue. Seems unlikely that you get a TPMS warning if that's disabled in the BCM.

Evidently the 2013 3500 did not. That’s what is driving me nuts. It doesn’t even have sensors.

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird. Rockauto lists TPMS sensors for 3500s all the way back to 2008. Did you buy the truck used ? Maybe the PO disabled the TPMS.

OP
OP
drittal

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Weird. Rockauto lists TPMS sensors for 3500s all the way back to 2008. Did you buy the truck used ? Maybe the PO disabled the TPMS.

Purchased from dealer. Stock tires and wheels. When I first had the problem I thought I had a bad sensor and took it in to have it found and replaced. It doesn’t have TPMS

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did some googling.... the TPMS mandate is only for vehicles up to 10000 lbs GVWR. 3500s typically have higher GVWR unless artificially limited by state rules.

Circling back to the problem at hand, I don't think you're seeing a "proper" TPMS alarm. Seems something else is triggering it. Not to insult you but you get the tire with the "!" not the traction control light ?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just did some quick research and it seems the 3500 trucks were exempt back then (not sure if they still are).

I've had warning a few times with my 2014 2500 but replacing the sensor has always made it go away. I'm thinking even though don't have the sensors that maybe you still have parts of the system and that is why the error message. Pretty annoying to say the least.

If you could get a hold of top tech geek and the dealership maybe he'd know. Hopefully, since you gave them $214 and it didn't fix the problem they will at least talk to you.

OP
OP
drittal

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Circling back to the problem at hand, I don't think you're seeing a "proper" TPMS alarm. Seems something else is triggering it. Not to insult you but you get the tire with the "!" not the traction control light ?
IMG_9027.jpg

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I'm convinced... ;)

Do you happen to have AlphaOBD with a working bluetooth adapter ? It can pull logs and error reports from all the different modules.

OP
OP
drittal

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok I'm convinced... ;)

Do you happen to have AlphaOBD with a working bluetooth adapter ? It can pull logs and error reports from all the different modules.

No

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All the different modules in the truck are connected via the CAN bus. What I think is happening is that the cluster receives a message that it interprets as "turn on the TPMS warning". That might be a corrupted message from a malfunctioning module or wiring issues.

Your typical dealership mechanic will not be able to diagnose that correctly, they are paid by job not by time worked. Also you probably don't want to pay 4-5 hours at the dealership rate. There are people that specialize in diagnostics, not sure if there's anybody in your area but ask around.