2013, DEF Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I got 1500 mi on half a tank of DEF, then I towed 400 mi and used the rest up. I was rather surprised by how much was consumed while towing.

I went to local truck stop to use DEF pump $2.69 gal. took 25 minutes to put in 4.5 gal. I could barley squeeze the handle and the pump pressure would shut it down.

While filling the DEF the neck pushed through the fender and ended up hanging underneath the bed. I had to crawl under and push it back through the hole, then had to hold it in place to keep it from pushing through again. PITA

Truck stop attendant says they make a magnet for opening the flapper that attaches to the nozzle, that of course they were out of. She said the manufactures are failing to install these in the new trucks. (skeptical)

Service dept re-glued (really glue?) the filler neck back in place. They were unable to add any DEF because it was already full, so they were unable to replicate my filling issues. The service dept did make a interesting point that they usually fill the DEF with a funnel and gallon jugs of DEF, not a pump, so they are doubting also that there is a fill flapper that needs to be opened.

I have to take it back in in a few weeks for them to re-check.

Anybody having similar issues?

kcbigbadram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
ive heard of a few guys having problems putting diesel in, but this is the first ive heard of the def also being a problem.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'm also very suprised to here you used that much, how many engine hours are you up to

OP
OP
Rotzilla

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Engine hours;
9 idle
55 driving
64 hrs total.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Emissions :( please keep updating so we know if you continue to use about the same or if usage declines with "break in."

$miley

Joe's 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I just finished 600 mile trip towing 4k and reached 1000 miles, my DEF hasn't moved from empty. I will keep an eye on it.

lizardking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 6.7 "The real deal"
It should be around 1:300 usage.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've never seen a DEF pump, that's interesting.
I've only seen it in gal jugs at parts stores.

OP
OP
Rotzilla

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Local truck stop has 2 pumps way out on the end of the semi pumps. Felt kinda feeble in line to fill up surrounded by 18 wheelers. The pump handles are blue in color.

OP
OP
Rotzilla

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Took truck into dealer for service on 2 cel lights, no codes visible, my seat heaters, exhaust brake, back up sensor panel quit working along with the garage door openers for a short period of time, and for the def to see if they could fill it properly.

results:
Dealer ordered a cd to upgrade radio 8.4n (good luck)(back ordered)
NOx sensor needs replaced, (back ordered) has something to do with the DEF???
Flashed the ecm (why ???) don't know.
Too much DEF fluid in tank to attempt filling???? although gauge reads full its been 800mi since I filled it up. There has got to be room in there somewhere to attempt trying to fill it up. :****sweak:

Its interesting the owners manual said you can get a cel and as long as its not flashing it may not be important, and may go away on its own, I think from bad fuel. I thought thats what caused my cel, because the light cleared on its own after a few days. Apparently there is more going on.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Sorry to hear of your continued troubles :( I am not a fan of CELs that don't throw a readable code.... Keep us posted.

tap tap tappa-roo

BIGRed333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7
I am having kinda sorta similar issues. I filled truck with 5 gallons of DEF at about 3,000 miles. Gauge read about 4/5 full with that. Many check engine lights, some force cleared by dealer, some cleared all on its own. Weird things happen with the electronics, mostly the AC and the seats. My dealer has basically told me to f-off. Told me when Chrysler is good and ready, there might be some over the air firmware update. Not holding my breath.

snarky

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 laramie longhorn daully
Engine
6.7 cummins
mechanic told me there is no rime or reason when or where our trucks spray def computer sprays when it feels like it.i have 2000 mi on mine and still have 3/4 tank of DEF.

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I got 1500 mi on half a tank of DEF, then I towed 400 mi and used the rest up. I was rather surprised by how much was consumed while towing.

I went to local truck stop to use DEF pump $2.69 gal. took 25 minutes to put in 4.5 gal. I could barley squeeze the handle and the pump pressure would shut it down.

While filling the DEF the neck pushed through the fender and ended up hanging underneath the bed. I had to crawl under and push it back through the hole, then had to hold it in place to keep it from pushing through again. PITA

Truck stop attendant says they make a magnet for opening the flapper that attaches to the nozzle, that of course they were out of. She said the manufactures are failing to install these in the new trucks. (skeptical)

Service dept re-glued (really glue?) the filler neck back in place. They were unable to add any DEF because it was already full, so they were unable to replicate my filling issues. The service dept did make a interesting point that they usually fill the DEF with a funnel and gallon jugs of DEF, not a pump, so they are doubting also that there is a fill flapper that needs to be opened.

I have to take it back in in a few weeks for them to re-check.

Anybody having similar issues?

I just bought a new 2014 3500 Diesel. To fill the UREA tank, the owners manual suggests that you only buy bottles of it from the dealer. If you are out on the road, running low or out of UREA but have spare bottles, you are suppose to only use a "funnel" that is made out of plastic or stainless steel. Mine is located under the passengers seat with the jack.

I can't say if there is a flapper for the UREA tank opening because so far I have not had to fill mine.

When you see your UREA tank reading "half a tank" then it's time to add about 2 1/2 gallons of it.

Also don't know if your truck has a "cap" that goes over the diesel filling hole. Mine came without one and was told you don't need one. Can't buy them through the dealer but found the kind you can lock or not lock, online.

Slidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
mechanic told me there is no rime or reason when or where our trucks spray def computer sprays when it feels like it.i have 2000 mi on mine and still have 3/4 tank of DEF.

You should use more while you are towing or hauling heavy.