DEF system issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
What I'm saying is that if a person wants the diesel, go ahead and get it - but make sure you run it, the DPF (and diesels in general) don't like short trips. They want to RUN, so get 'em out and run them.
I couldn't agree any more with this part of your response above, they need to be run and worked more often then 4-6× a year

Also where you wrote "I did the math in a post somewhere else, but even despite the higher cost of fuel, I'm going a LOT further so my price per mile is MUCH lower with the CTD than the 6.4. I've also got a higher payload, better towing capacity, etc. etc" .
Am I understanding you correctly, did you mean to imply that the pl is higher in a diesel over a gasser, if you did mean to say that then that's just simply wrong, the gas is always going to have a higher pl because its way lighter then the diesel and all the added regen stuff , or did I misunderstand your statement?

jkdyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Why do you want the diesel then with only a 13k trailer, the hemi can easily handle that and way more? Then you never need to worry about def and regen issues.
You may not have to worry about DEF issues but the worse gas mileage could eat you up. I had a 2011 Hemi 3/4 ton and pulled a 22' MC trailer and would average about 6-7 MPG when towing, 13-14 max for daily driving. With a diesel 1-ton I average 10+ towing and 16.5 for daily driving. Do the math for your annual mileage/maintenance and see if it works out to your benefit paying a bit more for diesel and DEF as compared to buying 20-30% more gas.

Wbjrace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The Dodge dealer advisor scared me when he said an overhaul of the system could cost between 2000 and 4000. He said that I have to pay $75 for the inspection. The worry is that they have a Federal law behind them and if they say that you need it you do not have a choice. I talked with my private diesel mechanic. He told me that nothing should be needed before 100000 miles. He said drive it hard on the highway and get the heat up and I should not have any problems. I have one more oil change due at the dearler's so i will go to the quick line where there is no inspection.

OP
OP
J

Jbgarrison6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go with diesel for piece of mind towing, and hopefully better mpg. I'm currently working with a dealer on a 2023 1 ton diesel. Wish me luck. I'd rather have all my teeth pulled out than working with dealers...

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I couldn't agree any more with this part of your response above, they need to be run and worked more often then 4-6× a year

Also where you wrote "I did the math in a post somewhere else, but even despite the higher cost of fuel, I'm going a LOT further so my price per mile is MUCH lower with the CTD than the 6.4. I've also got a higher payload, better towing capacity, etc. etc" .
Am I understanding you correctly, did you mean to imply that the pl is higher in a diesel over a gasser, if you did mean to say that then that's just simply wrong, the gas is always going to have a higher pl because its way lighter then the diesel and all the added regen stuff , or did I misunderstand your statement?

No, in general a gas 2500 will have a higher payload than a diesel. However, I had the Power Wagon, which has soft springs and reduced towing/payload. So yes, even with the diesel I have more payload and towing capacity than my Wagon did.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a ‘14 6.7 4wd CC short bed, the warranty on the DEF system was up at 55,000, 56,000 miles I started having issues.

Stock tires I could almost get 700 miles to a tank doing 65 (I could make it from Chicago to Tampa on 2 tanks). Pulled a trailer with a 2wd S10 load with clothes, TV, tools, & my bed with a queen bed, more clothes, pots & pans, and whatever else my step son had, & 3 people. 70-75 from Vegas to Chicago I was getting 13-15mpg on a bone stock truck.

NotSoFast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I think you're going to be happy with your new truck. The better mpg will offset the higher fuel costs. The longer oil change interval will offset the higher oil and filter costs. If you run it long enough to get the exhaust system good and hot for about an hour now and again (the easiest way to heat it up is towing at speed) you will likely never have an exhaust filter issue. And if you are towing in the mountains you Cummins will handle your trailer and whatever weird payload you might have with aplomb. Then add in better control of the load during the unexpected. I haul pretty light with my 2500, but I have hauled in sandstorms, snowstorms, and back roads where washboards would be an improvement. The diesel engine is just built for that.

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think you're going to be happy with your new truck. The better mpg will offset the higher fuel costs. The longer oil change interval will offset the higher oil and filter costs. If you run it long enough to get the exhaust system good and hot for about an hour now and again (the easiest way to heat it up is towing at speed) you will likely never have an exhaust filter issue. And if you are towing in the mountains you Cummins will handle your trailer and whatever weird payload you might have with aplomb. Then add in better control of the load during the unexpected. I haul pretty light with my 2500, but I have hauled in sandstorms, snowstorms, and back roads where washboards would be an improvement. The diesel engine is just built for that.
This is really well said. I sip coffee and jam out driving in 20-30 mph wind with my diesel. No more white knuckling and losing hair while towing anymore. Only worry I have is when 100k mi comes, and there still isnt a DPF delete for my 22. Guys keep saying its coming, and I really hope they are right. Figure my warranty is gone in 2ish years. I will say, my buddies 2020 deleted truck is FANTASTIC to drive.

Redcoupe92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking at upgrading to a 3500 for the size 5'ver we're looking at. I really like the payload capacity of these beasts, as well as the tow capacity. Part of me wants to buy diesel, but I've heard of the def system possibly having issues down the road. I plan on buying new, to get a warranty to have piece of mind, but is this something that happens frequently, or is it rare? Does this happen to older models more than newer, or vice versa? Have heard that it is a very expensive repair. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I’m heavy equipment mechanic by trade and have been working with the stuff since it came , it’s gotten much better . But with the saying that you have to use the system as it’s designed, it’s meant to be working going down the highway not idling around town not or idling it for extended periods of Time . If you do a lot of city driving to where that truck is not gonna be working going down the highway , I would stay away from a diesel because you will have problems but if you’re gonna do a lot of highway towing, you should be good to go .

Redcoupe92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is really well said. I sip coffee and jam out driving in 20-30 mph wind with my diesel. No more white knuckling and losing hair while towing anymore. Only worry I have is when 100k mi comes, and there still isnt a DPF delete for my 22. Guys keep saying its coming, and I really hope they are right. Figure my warranty is gone in 2ish years. I will say, my buddies 2020 deleted truck is FANTASTIC to drive.
you have to get an ECM from a 2019 Clone it to your current ECM , and then you can tune your truck once you install the 2019 ecm . For the most part, all of the kits are still the same from 2019 to 2023 as far as the plates go exhaust is pretty easy to go to round it as well... and everything can still be ordered out of Canada..

flashman252

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
you have to get an ECM from a 2019 Clone it to your current ECM , and then you can tune your truck once you install the 2019 ecm . For the most part, all of the kits are still the same from 2019 to 2023 as far as the plates go exhaust is pretty easy to go to round it as well... and everything can still be ordered out of Canada..
Hoping they can figure out how to crack the current ECM without doing an ECM swap. According to a few other people, some are close to figuring it out. All rumor that I hear and read, I am in no way a reputable source but I have seen it talked about on other forums. Again, I am in no hurry as I still have warranty for about 2ish years. I wouldnt even consider it all until I get close or go above 100k mi anyways. Just hope its an option by then.

The ECM swap is damn expensive right now. Looking at roughly 2k for the just the ECM and then there are some questions on how the 19/20 ECM plays with the 22 trucks. Im not a techy guru diesel dude.... wont ever claim to be, just a card playing nurse according to some politicians. When it becomes available, ill find someone who has the know how, throw money at them and let them get my truck right and have them show me how to do whatever I need to do to keep the truck going down the road.

Also, lots of recalls on these newer trucks. I have to take mine in on friday for its normal servicing and hoping to get the transmission dipstick recall completed. Hoping by 2025 this will all be resolved. And if the only way to still do a delete is an ECM swap, I will go that route then but the truck will never go back to the dealership for work. Already rumors coming out that there is a way for dealerships to put the software block on the older ECMs so they cannot be tuned. So once 100k mi rolls around, itll be interesting to see what I do.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I'm at 20K miles on my High OUtput Cummiins and no problems with the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). I use it to go to the Post Office. Sometimes a 200 mile round trip to West Phoenix. In summer, rarely, though.

RoosterR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking at upgrading to a 3500 for the size 5'ver we're looking at. I really like the payload capacity of these beasts, as well as the tow capacity. Part of me wants to buy diesel, but I've heard of the def system possibly having issues down the road. I plan on buying new, to get a warranty to have piece of mind, but is this something that happens frequently, or is it rare? Does this happen to older models more than newer, or vice versa? Have heard that it is a very expensive repair. Any thoughts are appreciated.
2020 Ram3500 single axle here. Pulling a 14,998 5er. 39,000. O problem with DEF system or power. We are full time RVers and stay 2-3 weeks at different rv park and cruise around town light truck, Cummins is BOSS.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What about the massive amount of different threads on the cp4 glitter time bomb and also what fuel additives are people using to enhance the lubricity in the fuel. I know it's been recalled and newer models don't cone with it anymore but that's probably been the number topic for 3 years
Yep. However, it was / is handled by a recall. The Hemi cam and exhaust manifolds have been an issue for a decade or more and still no recall. I would be willing to wager the number of Hemi's that have eaten a cam and / or had exhaust manifolds leak far far exceeds the number of CP4's on RAM's that have eaten themselves.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I’m heavy equipment mechanic by trade and have been working with the stuff since it came , it’s gotten much better . But with the saying that you have to use the system as it’s designed, it’s meant to be working going down the highway not idling around town not or idling it for extended periods of Time . If you do a lot of city driving to where that truck is not gonna be working going down the highway , I would stay away from a diesel because you will have problems but if you’re gonna do a lot of highway towing, you should be good to go .
Xactly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins
I meant finicky in the way they are driven. As I said, I like diesel’s, but being retired, my driving is mostly short trips. I would have nothing but regen issues and would be replacing the particulate filter often. They ain’t cheap. As for the self destructing camshaft, wouldn’t the cost of a the Cummins at initial purchase cover the cost of a good rebuild on the hemi ?
we have a 2015 Ram 3500 with 220,*** on it right now and haven’t hardly done a thing to it. It’s still driven every day for work and we aim to keep it until it starts making issues. Most hemis would be finished eating a camshaft by now.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
we have a 2015 Ram 3500 with 220,*** on it right now and haven’t hardly done a thing to it. It’s still driven every day for work and we aim to keep it until it starts making issues. Most hemis would be finished eating a camshaft by now.

Hey, I loved my 5.9 Cummins. Now a days I make lots of short trips. Thes new diesels with the def systems just aren’t the right truck for me. If it would, I’d have one.