2013 mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05evogsr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Am I missing something here or did Ram drop the ball on their gas mileage ratings? Why do they advertise 13 city and 19 highway with a combined average of 15mpg for the 5.7 Hemi yet everyone seems to be doing much better than that? Usually it is the other way around. Why would a car company want to underestimate their gas mileage ratings? That would only equate to hurting the fleet average rating and scaring away customers. Got me stumped.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
19 - 20.5 combined. Pulling my 35 ft toy hauler I get 13.5 average from Florida to Alabama (hills and highway speeds (about 70 mph avg) included)

I haven't paid any attention to highway / city seperately.

Highway Update : I filled up on the turnpike and hit reset. By the time I got off the highway (approximately 55 miles later) my average was 25.3 mpg.

Last edited:

smokinstorm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm still getting close to 25 MPG on the trip from the Outer Banks of NC over to Elizabeth City, NC and back even though it's really cold outside now. Speed limit is 55 or slower the whole way and I don't speed. It's around a 125 mile round trip. At much higher highway speeds (70+) the gas mileage goes down significantly (19-20). Aerodynamics don't seem to be the best attribute of a truck. Overall gas mileage since I've owned the truck is showing 22 MPG on the computer. 2013 Ram 2WD Tradesman model with 7000 miles. Just did the first oil change last week and put in Redline synthetic per recommendations on here. It's always gotten way better than the 14/20 that it was advertised to get. Remember though, I'm an old fart and drive accordingly. I call my teenage son the gas mileage killer because he consistently gets several MPG less than I do when we make the same trip.

metalfab

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM CrewCab ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 12 gets about 18mpg consistently. I use 89 octane and change into "manual mode" after I get in. Gained 1 to 2mpg when in manual BTW. The other plus is the drone is gone completely when in manual.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

dmclone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Winter fuel plus a little bit of iddling has cost me about 2 mpg. Went from 17 to 15 over the last couple of months.

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 12 gets about 18mpg consistently. I use 89 octane and change into "manual mode" after I get in. Gained 1 to 2mpg when in manual BTW. The other plus is the drone is gone completely when in manual.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I haven't tinkered with manual mode much. Does it automatically downshift if you have to hit the brakes?

kcstrom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if we all should not be checking milage, the old fashioned way. I have heard that the computer is not as accurate as one would guess, and favors the higher numbers. Now why do you suppose that is?? ,,Brian

The computer is definitely wrong on my 2013 RAM 1500 4x4. My hand calculated numbers come out nearly 1mpg less.

This almost seems like an intentional oversight on the part of RAM. Every piece of information needed to calculate an accurate mpg is available to the computer via sensors on the engine, in the tank, etc. (unless you leave your gas cap off and it evaporates out of the tank).

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know my truck mpg is evic not accurate ( hovers around 12mpg city driving) but hey its a truck. I know u guys like those numbers around 20mpg but personally.... just having a big beautiful truck in my driveway makes me happy enough :) i never worried about mpg in a full size pickup.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ottoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm getting about 21 on the highway and combined 16.5mpg over a whole tank of gas..

I was expecting it to be better to be honest..

Goin from a 10yr old 2500 RCLB 2wd 5.7 which was getting 12.8 MPG with NO MDS, NO VVT and a 4spd... to a brand new RCSB SLT 8Spd getting only 3 more MPG??

I'm really hoping it's because the mileage is still low and it will improve (650 miles)

dmclone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Temperature really seems to play a big role and I don't know why. For the last week when it's been hanging around 30 and above I've been getting around 18mpg. A couple of weeks ago when it was zero and below I was lucky to get 15mpg. Same drive, same speed, same gas, etc.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Temperature really seems to play a big role and I don't know why. For the last week when it's been hanging around 30 and above I've been getting around 18mpg. A couple of weeks ago when it was zero and below I was lucky to get 15mpg. Same drive, same speed, same gas, etc.

Do you turn the heater on more.. Windows down.. Ac on. Etc etc these are all factors in how hard our engines work to turn the pulleys etc. It all affects gas mileage.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

dmclone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you turn the heater on more.. Windows down.. Ac on. Etc etc these are all factors in how hard our engines work to turn the pulleys etc. It all affects gas mileage.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I use my heater more when it's cold but that's about it. I wonder if the cylinder deactivation has some trigger on temperature?

lowfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't forget the colder it is the harder it is for the engine to move the oils and fluids until everything is warmed up. Also you have longer warm up times before the truck gets to operating temps. Plus if you have snow/ice on the ground driving through that crap is a mpg killer.

yodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 ram 1500 hemi
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I average 13-14 now because I have a 7" lift on mine. But before I was averaging 16-17. I am 80% city and 20% highway. I have a 2013 5.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Air is more dense so the ecu is adding more fuel, your air pressure is a little lower, rolling resistance is higher, you are technically driving through "thicker" air. Take your pick, im sure there are more reasons but those are the big ones.