Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eforceram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all, so i know this transfercase has been discussed lots over the years but I cant seem to get an answer to my question.

MY 2013 1500 4X4 just cant seem to get working 4 wheel drive. The truck has a 6 inch lift and 35s. its a sport 6 speed with the bw 44-44 transfercase with auto 4x4. When i turn my switch to 4 auto or 4 lock it will show it as activated but then I will just sit there and spin in 2wd.
When my truck is in 2wd I can crawl under the truck and spin the front driveshaft with no resistance. When I put the truck in 4 lock I crawl under and the front driveshaft wont spin which all seems normal. When im in 4 lock and try to drive on ice or snow, I have someone outside of the truck and the front driveshaft does not spin to match the rear and only matches front wheel speed. I can never actually feel like 4wd is trying to activate if that makes sense. To me its seems like the clutches in the transfercase are burnt and cant actually grab. I drained the fluid and it came out clean and didnt smell burnt. I have no trouble codes or lights on. Im still convinced I need a new transfercase but if anyone has any other tests let me know.
Does anyone have any ideas on the matter?

frito

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sad to see no one has responded to this... I'm experiencing the exact same thing in my 2016. No errors lights or anything, but the front wheels just do not turn under their own power. There's literally no difference between 4low and 2wd.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Did you change the fluid at 60,000 per owners manual?

I changed mine at around 45,000 and it's worked every time I've needed it. I actually like the 44-44 with auto mode.

OP
OP
E

Eforceram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sad to see no one has responded to this... I'm experiencing the exact same thing in my 2016. No errors lights or anything, but the front wheels just do not turn under their own power. There's literally no difference between 4low and 2wd.
Hey so here's my update. It wasn't a fluid problem like the other guy suggested.
I took my transfercase out and disassembled it to inspect. Inside there was no noticeable issues. The clutches inside you could see had been hot but still had life in them. I figured that it was tore apart already,so I rebuilt the whole thing with all new clutches and plates, new bearings and reassembled the transfercase. Put it back in the truck and still did not work.
After pulling my hair out for weeks on end I had my friend who works at dodge come out and scan the truck for me. And sure enough, I had a left rear wheel speed sensor code that was stored. My snapon scanner didn't pick it up for some reason and I had no lights on in the dash. I replaced the sensor and still no fix, so I started chasing wires. Sure enough, by the drivers front wheel there is a connector for all of the rear wiring and there I found my culprit. From factory there was a whole bunch of un-needed bends in the wiring and the wire for my LR wheel speed sensor was broken 90% of the way through. I repaired my wiring and routed the wires to have less bends in them. Problem solved ever since, 4x4 works as it should and no other problems. It's amazing that one partially broken wire caused all of my issues.
Let me know if you need help solving your problems.

frito

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey so here's my update. It wasn't a fluid problem like the other guy suggested.
I took my transfercase out and disassembled it to inspect. Inside there was no noticeable issues. The clutches inside you could see had been hot but still had life in them. I figured that it was tore apart already,so I rebuilt the whole thing with all new clutches and plates, new bearings and reassembled the transfercase. Put it back in the truck and still did not work.
After pulling my hair out for weeks on end I had my friend who works at dodge come out and scan the truck for me. And sure enough, I had a left rear wheel speed sensor code that was stored. My snapon scanner didn't pick it up for some reason and I had no lights on in the dash. I replaced the sensor and still no fix, so I started chasing wires. Sure enough, by the drivers front wheel there is a connector for all of the rear wiring and there I found my culprit. From factory there was a whole bunch of un-needed bends in the wiring and the wire for my LR wheel speed sensor was broken 90% of the way through. I repaired my wiring and routed the wires to have less bends in them. Problem solved ever since, 4x4 works as it should and no other problems. It's amazing that one partially broken wire caused all of my issues.
I'm actually really interested in this solution... I was planning on making the 44-45 transfer case swap, but I'm gonna do some investigating this weekend and see if I can find any issues like the ones you describe. That would be a much easier solution. It would also be nice if I could convince a dealership to scan for codes without charging me $200

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
bad deal but incredible work my man.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dude, the patience that you must have had throughout this ordeal is admirable. I installed some HIDS and sometimes they work, others they don’t so I’m taking the lights apart today to fix the problem. That’s just my lights so I can’t imagine replacing a whole bunch of other things, spending a bunch of time taking them apart, and having the same issue continue… I commend you for your patience LOL

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members