2013 ram 2500 5.7 whats best repair option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris444455555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2013 ram 2500 Laramie mega cab 5.7 hemi 214000 kms whats best repair option
took it to a dealer they said its lifter failure and or cam shaft
i can either repair by replacing cam and lifters quote is around 4500$
or i can put in a rebuilt motor with 100k warranty or 3 years 8k$ to 10k$
or i can trade it in im being offered anywhere from 12k to 18k on trade in value
what do you guys think is best option?

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Do it yourself for about 1/3 of option 1.

And while your at it, add a new high volume oil pump.

Watch a few YouTube videos on the procedure to decide if it's something you want to tackle yourself.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What kind of shape is the body in? Any rust? If not, might there be soon? How do you like the truck overall?

It's hard to make a recommendation w/o knowing your financial situation and commitments. Option 1 obviously is the least expensive. If you want to keep the tk, that's one way to go. But I'd almost be inclined to see if they would give you for trade-in on a used truck ...unless you have considered a new Tk recently. Maybe you can work them up a little more. Wouldn't hurt to check other dealerships too. You can always have it towed to them.

If you're mechanically inclined, a lot of forum members have performed the cam/lifter replacement themselves. There are several youtube step by step videos to walk you through it. You could watch a couple videos to see if it's a job you might be interested in doing. And search out posts on this forum. Maybe it's not for you. You're basically trading your time to do it but you'd save a lot. Tough choice.

Best of luck. Let us know what you end up doing.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I want to know where you're getting a cam done for $4500 or an engine replacement for under $10,000 in Canada,hell it cost me $4000 just in parts to do my cam,and that was going on 9 years ago,lol.
Was that an actual "quote" or an "estimate",there's a big differance.
If you're in Edmonton,be careful as some of the shops up there do "estimates",and when you go to pay the bill,that estimate just becomes a fictitious number.