2014 1500 4X4 8spd 3:21

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black Sunday

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello! I am the proud owner of a New 2014 Ram! Very impressed with most everything about the truck but must admit that I am a little Dissapointed as I expected it would be a head snapping monster. I regret that I have the 3:21 ratio but figured that with an 8 speed it would all balance out. I will say that I am delighted by the MPG but would rather sacrifice a little mileage for the feeling I should get with almost 400hp. I already have a mufflex muffler delete ( love the sound ) and a K&N CAI. After reading some posts on here, I see alot of people are asking about 3:21 to 3:92 swaps and it sounds like it is a problem for 4X4 owners cause of front Diff. Has anyone been successful with the swap? what is the solution? What would it likely Cost? Its a truck?!?! who wants 3:21's in a truck?

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello! I am the proud owner of a New 2014 Ram! Very impressed with most everything about the truck but must admit that I am a little Dissapointed as I expected it would be a head snapping monster. I regret that I have the 3:21 ratio but figured that with an 8 speed it would all balance out. I will say that I am delighted by the MPG but would rather sacrifice a little mileage for the feeling I should get with almost 400hp. I already have a mufflex muffler delete ( love the sound ) and a K&N CAI. After reading some posts on here, I see alot of people are asking about 3:21 to 3:92 swaps and it sounds like it is a problem for 4X4 owners cause of front Diff. Has anyone been successful with the swap? what is the solution? What would it likely Cost? Its a truck?!?! who wants 3:21's in a truck?
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=56666
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=54655
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=56056

Last edited:

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First you should get a tuner.

These vehicles come with quite a bit of torque management from the factory. Reducing TM alone will make it feel like a whole new truck.

The Intune costs about $350, use the canned 91 tune and run 93 octane. It will make a huge difference, but if its not enough then you can try the gear swap.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
First you should get a tuner.

These vehicles come with quite a bit of torque management from the factory. Reducing TM alone will make it feel like a whole new truck.

The Intune costs about $350, use the canned 91 tune and run 93 octane. It will make a huge difference, but if its not enough then you can try the gear swap.

Especially with the 8 speed I don't believe a tuner can remove torque management yet.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Especially with the 8 speed I don't believe a tuner can remove torque management yet.

They released support for the 2014 6 & 8 speed. The canned tunes come with reduced torque management but you cannot reduce it any more without a custom tune.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They released support for the 2014 6 & 8 speed. The canned tunes come with reduced torque management but you cannot reduce it any more without a custom tune.

Yeah, the 6 speed has trams tuning but as of yet no one has released trans tuning for the 8 speed.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Just got my 2014 1500 express crew and it has a 6speed auto. I asked about the 8spd and the dealer said they have heard of issues with the 8spd and that's what they put in the cheeroke and some issues. Also said its like ur always shifting.

Dealers don't know about tunes unless u leave it in there... they can't tell I'd I've swapped tunes back and forth.

How much is the tuner worth hp wise. The TM is why it feels like a slush box right?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got my 2014 1500 express crew and it has a 6speed auto. I asked about the 8spd and the dealer said they have heard of issues with the 8spd and that's what they put in the cheeroke and some issues. Also said its like ur always shifting.

Dealers don't know about tunes unless u leave it in there... they can't tell I'd I've swapped tunes back and forth.

How much is the tuner worth hp wise. The TM is why it feels like a slush box right?

The cherokee is front wheel drive. Completely different trans. I have seen very few problems with the 8 speed in the trucks. And it is false that they can't tell it has been flashed with a tuner. You can see how many times the PCM has been updated. If there have not been any software updates, but it says it has been flashed 8 times, they know you have been dicking with it. Most techs don't care though. I have seen differential and transmission work done on cars with superchargers on them. Just depends on if you are cool.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, the 6 speed has trams tuning but as of yet no one has released trans tuning for the 8 speed.

Ok just to be clear, diablo sport released tuning for vehicles with both the 6 speed and 8 speed. However you cant really tune the 8 speed, if thats what you are referring to.

But you can tune the engine of the 8 speeds.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
The cherokee is front wheel drive. Completely different trans. I have seen very few problems with the 8 speed in the trucks. And it is false that they can't tell it has been flashed with a tuner. You can see how many times the PCM has been updated. If there have not been any software updates, but it says it has been flashed 8 times, they know you have been dicking with it. Most techs don't care though. I have seen differential and transmission work done on cars with superchargers on them. Just depends on if you are cool.

Makes sense, Ive never had a jeep or dodge before lol. But don't the cherokke have 4x4 as well?

The guy who helped me at the dealert said that if you mod anything you only void the warrenty for that part. So if you supercharge the engine aND blow the tranny then your tranny gets fixed. Same goes for the rear etc. Take the truck out mudding and blow the rear or driveshaft and it gets replaced.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Strange dealer, I would think every dealer would be trying to sell the latest product, not kinda bash it. I bet Dodge wouldn't appreciate their selling pitch. Lol.
And I would be very confident if I put a supercharger on my truck the whole damn thing would be void of warranty. If I wreaked an axle they would just say I wasn't designed to be pushed by a supercharger. Lol.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Makes sense, Ive never had a jeep or dodge before lol. But don't the cherokke have 4x4 as well?

The guy who helped me at the dealert said that if you mod anything you only void the warrenty for that part. So if you supercharge the engine aND blow the tranny then your tranny gets fixed. Same goes for the rear etc. Take the truck out mudding and blow the rear or driveshaft and it gets replaced.

They are front wheel drive but have a ptu that will transfer power to the rear if the front is slipping. Not really a great setup if you are doing anything but mall crawling.

Was it a salesman that told you that about the warranty? If you make any major engine mods, and have any drivetrain problems, they can say it is because of the increased power and deny it if they want to.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Strange dealer, I would think every dealer would be trying to sell the latest product, not kinda bash it. I bet Dodge wouldn't appreciate their selling pitch. Lol.
And I would be very confident if I put a supercharger on my truck the whole damn thing would be void of warranty. If I wreaked an axle they would just say I wasn't designed to be pushed by a supercharger. Lol.

The guy was a car nut so we had something in common so he was giving me the inside scoop i guess you could say. It wouldn't be the first time a company has come out with something and then had problems lol.

He told me he had a guy come back a few weeks ago and took his truck or SUV off roading and he took out the driveshaft on a rock… and it was replaced under the drivetrain warranty.

I would have thought the same thing as you but I asked because Ive never owned anything that I didn't modify and make my own. He stated if you cammed and put heads and intake or even stroked the hemi it would only void the warranty of the engine (blow the trans and your covered). I took his word for it as he was apart of the dealer (sales man) and with his background in car modding and racing its no real reason to lie to me. He told me all these things after I had signed the lease agreement anyway so its not like he was trying to push a sale. He could be blowing smoke up my @$$ but then again I won't be modding it more than just some bolt ons and a tuner to help with MPG and throttle response.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
They are front wheel drive but have a ptu that will transfer power to the rear if the front is slipping. Not really a great setup if you are doing anything but mall crawling.

Was it a salesman that told you that about the warranty? If you make any major engine mods, and have any drivetrain problems, they can say it is because of the increased power and deny it if they want to.

Well that sounds like poo, not to mention the new body style makes me want to hit it with my truck lol.

Yes it was a salesman, but as I explained a car nut with a very modified street race firebird (something we have in common). Could all be a lie, but If they don't care about the tuner then thats my only worry. I got a 521cuin BBF in my 1987 firebird for when I want to go fast :) and eat gas :).

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The guy who helped me at the dealer said that if you mod anything you only void the warrenty for that part. So if you supercharge the engine aND blow the tranny then your tranny gets fixed. Same goes for the rear etc. Take the truck out mudding and blow the rear or driveshaft and it gets replaced.

I have seen just the opposite. I have seen a dealer submit for warranty trans work and it get denied by Chrysler because the dealer listed the supercharger or the 4" lift and 35" tires. That gives Chrysler a way out by saying those mods voided the drivetrain warranty. Yes, you can try to fight it, but larger tires + supercharger do put extra strain on the DT. That blown rear end or burned up tranny didn't get fixed.

Then again, I had a 4" lift & 37" tires and my dealer told me to bring the Jeep back clean. I power washed the hell outta the whole Jeep. Then took it back nice & clean. The dealership removed my beat to **** aftermarket skidplates and help me get my trans repaired under warranty... TWICE!!!
If the dealership service department is mod friendly, then yes, they will TRY to get it fixed under warranty. Although, that same dealership told me straight out that my rear end would not be covered. 37" tires and 4.88 gears... could not really argue with that.