2014 1500 gas tank strap and frame rusted out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, same here. I still have the notice, but I've crawled under the truck on many occassions and there is no rust anywhere around the straps or the frame. Makes me wonder how they determined the model year and VIN's, as this seems to cover multiple years. Mine is a 2011.
Yeah there wasn't a speck of rust under mine either but I took it in and they supposedly performed the recall.

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a recall not sure of the years but I got mine done

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah there wasn't a speck of rust under mine either but I took it in and they supposedly performed the recall.
Maybe I'll dig mine out and take it in, just for the satisfaction of knowing it's okay.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's a pocket up there which can hold mud/water/salt, etc. Depending the region where a guy lives and what's sitting in that pocket, will affect how quick (or not) it's going to rust. Mine seems good on my truck as well.
That is why I fill mine up with Fluid Film and give the area a good coating every oil change. It takes about 2 minutes.

Hemi395 drilled holes in the bottom of the pockets to let the moisture drain out but I could not get a drill in the right position to do mine. The brake lines run right through there.

Narlock88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l ecodiesel
I have a 2015 ram1500. My tank strap pulled through the frame as well, damaging my fuel hoses and filter housing. This cause my truck to leak a 1/4 tank of diesel on the ground. They used thebsame part ro. The recall for the 2009 to 2012. This tells me they did not change the engineering of the frame.

Anyone having this problem please report it to the NHTSA website. This will force them to look into the recall problems of our truck. What they don't know they can't do anything about.

Boostrules

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know it's an old thread, but my front gas tank strap just broke on my 2013 with over 107,000 miles on it and the dealership ran my vin # and said it's covered. I straped it up to make it drivable and use up some of the gas (32-gallon tank, 3/4 full). Haveing it fixed for free sure beats paying a shop or doing it yourself. Definitely check your vin before paying for it or if you already have Ram is supposed to reimburse you with proof of payment.

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For us Canadians wondering if this is a recall....yes it is....mine getting repaired on my 2016 Ram 1500.
I tought it was an extended warranty for tank straps? Not recall. Meaning they will fix them if they do rot out. Just looked at mine on 2017 and still black with no rust.

shadango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know it's an old thread, but my front gas tank strap just broke on my 2013 with over 107,000 miles on it and the dealership ran my vin # and said it's covered. I straped it up to make it drivable and use up some of the gas (32-gallon tank, 3/4 full). Haveing it fixed for free sure beats paying a shop or doing it yourself. Definitely check your vin before paying for it or if you already have Ram is supposed to reimburse you with proof of payment.
I just encountered this problem over the past weekend.....I thought I was screwed because the FCA/Mopar site does NOT show my VIN as eligible for the recall.....I searched the topic on google and ended up here....on this thread.

I started going through my documentation and found that I had in fact received a letter from FCA for both the EXTENSION OF WARRANTY as well as the later TSA RECALL.....I took those to the dealer and they looked up my VIN and said "we don't show your VIN as part of the recall".....I then showed them the FCA-issued letter on the recall and they said "thats odd".

So what I am saying is don't trust the FCA site or maybe even the dealer as far as the safety recalls. THIS THREAD SAVED ME! Especially the post by the good soul who posted the actual TSA recall! THANK YOU!!

The warranty extension on mine would be running out in 4 months......I dodged a bullet by it happening now.

At the time I had gotten the recall letter, the dealers round her still did not have parts.....then COVID hit, then lots of life badness happened.....so that's why I didn't do it at the time.

While I was under there using a ratchet strap to temporarily hold the tank up, I noticed some frame rot further to the rear on a cross member.....not happy....the truck has 63k miles on her (2012) and well cared for.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just encountered this problem over the past weekend.....I thought I was screwed because the FCA/Mopar site does NOT show my VIN as eligible for the recall.....I searched the topic on google and ended up here....on this thread.

I started going through my documentation and found that I had in fact received a letter from FCA for both the EXTENSION OF WARRANTY as well as the later TSA RECALL.....I took those to the dealer and they looked up my VIN and said "we don't show your VIN as part of the recall".....I then showed them the FCA-issued letter on the recall and they said "thats odd".

So what I am saying is don't trust the FCA site or maybe even the dealer as far as the safety recalls. THIS THREAD SAVED ME! Especially the post by the good soul who posted the actual TSA recall! THANK YOU!!

The warranty extension on mine would be running out in 4 months......I dodged a bullet by it happening now.

At the time I had gotten the recall letter, the dealers round her still did not have parts.....then COVID hit, then lots of life badness happened.....so that's why I didn't do it at the time.

While I was under there using a ratchet strap to temporarily hold the tank up, I noticed some frame rot further to the rear on a cross member.....not happy....the truck has 63k miles on her (2012) and well cared for.

You need to flush the frame out normally a build up of crap inside the frame near rear control arm and since your PA when they kill us with that powder road salt **** every time they think there is a storm you need to wash under your truck often.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is why mine gets Krown coated every year and every oil change I spray lots of extra Fluid Film in the frame tank strap holes and the mounting points.

My truck is 6 years old now and the tank straps look great. Zero rust underneath mine and it gets driven year round.

If you live in a place with real winter, "hoping" your truck doesn't rust is not enough.

jelyse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
It wasn't a safety recall, at least in my case for my 2013 Sport, but a warranty extension. View attachment 499982
Thank you for sharing this! One side of my gas tank strap rusted off this weekend while I was driving. The strap, still attached on one side and therefore just hanging under the truck, ended up scraping the driveshaft and leaving a notch in it. I was only a few miles from home, so we ratcheted the gas tank to the frame and limped the truck home. With a few minutes of research, I came across this letter you received and called about the Extended Warranty vs a recall (semantics, I'm sure...). Now a dealer is handling it. Let's hope FCA reimburses the $500 towing bill, too, because let's be real - the trucks are undriveable in this condition. Just wanted to let you know that this letter was incredibly valuable, so thank you!

jelyse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi

I just shared basically the same story, right down to the ratcheted gas tank. I'm also extremely grateful for whoever posted that picture of the letter! Glad yours is worked out. Mine's in the shop; still waiting for the call that it's ready.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio