2014 ram 1500 hemi trans acting up???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 ram 1500 quad cab w/ 5.7 6spd 2wd. Today I noticed when I'm stopped in drive when I let off the brake it doesn't move on its own anymore and driving down the highway every so often the rpms will raise for a second or 2 almost like it's slipping. I done a wot test and it done fine. Also noticed it was idling lower than I thought it did (500rpms) might have just never noticed tho. I am going on a ride 2marro and will be pulling around 2500 pounds. Do you think I should be concerned or is it nothing? Truck has 1100 miles on it and has never pulled over 3k pounds.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
That does seem a little odd. I wouldn't worry about towing 3500 lbs or even 8500... Trucks under warranty.

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
If it's brand new, I'd wake up early enough to have the dealership service center look at it before you hook 3,000 lbs to it. Just my 2 cents.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A friend ( also on this forum) just got his brand new 1500 last week. When coming to a stop the 2nd-1st downshift would cause a clunk coming from what felt like the rear almost, could be both felt and heard. He took it in and i figured it may be update, well it seems that didn't cure it and they are just gonna replace his transmission.
Just saying..... not the same issues your having, but that is his next repair attempt by them.

kidwolf908

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
How much do the revs increase on the highway? I've noticed this on mine as well but it's associated with the truck coming out of MDS operation. When those extra 4 cylinders receive fuel, the revs kick up for a second and then drop back.

A 500 rim idle is about right based on my experience with my truck. When warmed up, mine idles about a needle with above the 500 mark on my tach. Also, when the truck is fully warmed up and the idle has dropped down to roughly 500, the torque converter isn't spinning quick enough to achieve "stall" so if you're on any sort of incline, the truck won't go anywhere until you give it gas. If you're on a flat surface and your truck isn't moving in drive with your foot off the brake, you may have an issue.

Hope this helps!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
How much do the revs increase on the highway? I've noticed this on mine as well but it's associated with the truck coming out of MDS operation. When those extra 4 cylinders receive fuel, the revs kick up for a second and then drop back.

I completely forgot about this. My truck does this also. When my truck is on the highway cruising in mds and I hit a incline it'll unlock the converter to give it a little more rpm to keep it in mds. The computers on these trucks are almost too smart. Good luck