2014 Ram 5.7 low voltage light but charges fine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdtripp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi there. 2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 4x4 crew cab with the 5.7 hemi. I have replaced the battery, alternator and the dealership installed a new PCM. I still have a low voltage message, and battery light is on. After 21 hours of diagnostic time at the dealership, they had no results, and tried to make me pay for the PCM when I didn't authorize it. They bought it as the "tech" was swapping parts instead of finding the issue. I'm not ragging on the tech..but I still have this issue, and the truck runs drives and starts fine. Never once dead or slow. I have cleaned up every ground up rop, inside and underneath the truck. The sensors on the battery are fine, all fuses are fine, nothing has ever been butchered anywhere on the truck. All connectors and pigtails appear perfectly clean, and tight. Every fuse tests good. I have a single battery. I need help please!

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What voltage(s) are you reading on the battery with a good hand held digital volt meter. Without that info, can't suggest anything.

OP
OP
R

Rdtripp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had a consistent 14.3 to 14.6. never any lowered. Also, to add to this dilemma, my headlights and dash lights flicker at random usually, but today I noticed it does it with rpm change. Throttle it up, they flicker, let it idle and that stops happening. Dealership has no clue and would need to keep it for a few days again to diagnose. I'm about to trade this thing in for a Chevy even though I've always preferred my dodge trucks. Thanks for any help!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
When you say the fuses are fine, how would you know? Because largely you can have everything on the line from fuse to the dash 100% fine, but you could have a issue with the TIPM soder joints, which can create a short. Have you tested for any parasitic loss on the battery? So on a brand new battery you still got this CEL? And the light was correctly reset? Try a hard reset? I guess maybe just changing the battery is a hard reset, lol. If so then it can only be a few things.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I have had a consistent 14.3 to 14.6. never any lowered. Also, to add to this dilemma, my headlights and dash lights flicker at random usually, but today I noticed it does it with rpm change. Throttle it up, they flicker, let it idle and that stops happening. Dealership has no clue and would need to keep it for a few days again to diagnose. I'm about to trade this thing in for a Chevy even though I've always preferred my dodge trucks. Thanks for any help!
Check voltage with RPM's up in the range where they flicker.......I have tested alternators before that put out the correct voltage at idle but drop out when engine RPM's are up.