2015 1500 massively screwed. Lost only ignition key fob and locked out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I can't lock my doors if the fob is inside......2017. Was it different in 2015?
My dog hit the lock button with the truck RUNNING in my 2017 1500, of course while I was outside. Hundreds of miles from home of course. Even my cellphone was inside. NEVER thought that could happen, especially with the engine running. Now carry a spare valet key all the time, even when I don’t have the dogs.

EDIT, so I at least say something useful. I’d talk to the mall management to let them know you need to leave the vehicle so they don’t have it towed, go to either a locksmith or the dealer and have a spare valet cut, or spring for a full spare fob.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you pay for Uconnect
You can call the proper number & give them the required information
They can unlock your door & even start your vehicle if needed
Just don't shut off your vehicle until you are where your spare FOB is, or at a Dealership, or a locksmith that has FOBs & a programmer , ( like your local Ace Hardware )

I don't have a Smart Phone
I don't have Uconnect subscription
I do have AAA Premium, it covers my Ram & my Harley & anyone that i am riding with

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer I patronize always provides two keys. A locksmith comes by on a regular basis. My salesperson told me they average about $35 each for programing. Used fobs are procured on ebay.

knightsga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck is parked in parking lot at Shopping Center 2 miles from home and I am locked out. What do I do ?
This 2015 vehicle has the FOB that locks doors and has panic button and I only received one with the Truck when I bought it 2 years ago. I am hoping that with my VIN number the Dealer can create a new working
key FOB for me. I expect $400 cost perhaps ? Is there anything else I should know? Hope I dont have to pay a locksmith to break into my truck. BTW. I am 90 percent sure I lost the keys while shopping .... BUT
I could have screwed up and locked the keys in the truck. I may have set the keys down while putting on my face mask before exiiting the vehicle. I FEEL like I remember using the key fob to lock the doors after exit
but not 100 percent sure. IF SO ........ How to break into truck to get keys ? Crow-bar to door ? Locksmith? I dont even remember ... if I can get a coat hanger down inside the door from the outside,
can I pull up on the door handle to unlock the door ? I dont even remember how the handle works or if it
is connected to the door lock ? I cannot see any way of grabbing the lock stub from outside to pull up on
it to unlock the door.
on my 2018 Ram -if I should leave my fob in the truck and close the door, the horn let's me know I left the fob in it and locks open for me.

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
OK kids, here's the deal, I am a locksmith, DO NOT confuse a trunk slammer for a real locksmith, trunk slammers are the guys you find on the edge of the phone book, he'll show up and get you in and probably damage your car in the process. A real experienced locksmith will access the vehicle and can make you keys and fobs without any codes from the dealer and in the end the only way you'll know he was there is you have a key and a lighter wallet.
When you buy a vehicle, make it a part of the deal that you get spare keys, having one key is the dealers problem until you hand over your money then you just bought that problem. Remember one is one away from none and none is expensive.
Because I have a high volume business it allows me to buy large quantities of chip keys and fobs and get a good price on them, so my customers get a good price. The fob for this members 2015 Ram I sell for $50 including programming (that's not a typo $50) as long as the customer come to me at my shop so a spare fob does not have to require a second mortgage.
I wish you were in my neighborhood of Knoxville, TN

OP
OP
P

preventec47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
OK LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. I screwed up but lucked out this time. I walked home the night I was locked out of my 2015 truck and the next morning I called the dealer
and found out that with the VIN # and proof of ownership they would make a door only key for $25. I wanted to try that first thinking I might have locked my key fob inside the truck and what happened is I set the key fob down in the ashtray while I
grabbed my covid mask and put it on. The key was not visible to the outside because of a bag that was covering it so I did not have to have a key fob made. HOWEVER,
I did take some stainless steel wire and I wrapped the key in aluminum foil and I tied the key to the bottom of the truck right under the drivers door. I DO want to get a spare KEYFOB made and will call around to some locksmiths in the yellow pages as I believe the dealer price for the programmed KeyFob was $275.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
OK LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. I screwed up but lucked out this time. I walked home the night I was locked out of my 2015 truck and the next morning I called the dealer
and found out that with the VIN # and proof of ownership they would make a door only key for $25. I wanted to try that first thinking I might have locked my key fob inside the truck and what happened is I set the key fob down in the ashtray while I
grabbed my covid mask and put it on. The key was not visible to the outside because of a bag that was covering it so I did not have to have a key fob made. HOWEVER,
I did take some stainless steel wire and I wrapped the key in aluminum foil and I tied the key to the bottom of the truck right under the drivers door. I DO want to get a spare KEYFOB made and will call around to some locksmiths in the yellow pages as I believe the dealer price for the programmed KeyFob was $275. Thanks for the outcome
I did take some stainless steel wire and I wrapped the key in aluminum foil and I tied the key to the bottom of the truck right under the drivers door. I DO want to get a spare KEYFOB made and will call around to some locksmiths in the yellow pages as I believe the dealer price for the programmed KeyFob was $275.
thanks for the outcome.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I ordered spare OEM Fobs off of Ebay for 70 U.S. ($85 Canadian) each, locksmith programed 2 for 70 bucks Canadian, including cutting the key in them. Cheapest local dealer wanted $260 a pop Canadian for programed ones, most expensive one was $340 each and could not get them till January.

Also, Lowes will supply a blank and cut keys to match the one in your FOB for 4 bucks each. Had two made yesterday, they have a rubber top like a regular key, don't store in the fob. Works good for stashable key.

Last edited:

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I’m fortunate my ‘21 2500 won’t lock if the keys are inside, for 2 tries I think. Would have locked myself out a couple times already.

Vijo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wrapped my backup-FOB in aluminum and hid it in the truck, I have a key hidden in a magnetic box on the frame and also carry a key with me separate from the FOB that I use on a daily basis. Several fail-safe steps to keep me from having issues. At this point, if I got locked out, it was destiny.

The two times I had an issue, it happened with other vehicles, they happened in very remote locations (one in Mexico and one in the desert in Nevada), both with zero cell coverage so I am very aware of how complicated it can get, especially with a FOB.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I’m fortunate my ‘21 2500 won’t lock if the keys are inside, for 2 tries I think. Would have locked myself out a couple times already.
In general true, my 2021 is the same way. You do however have to be real careful your elbow doesn't hit the silver lock thing that goes up and down when you lock or unlock the door up by the window. If you push that bit down on purpose or accidentally or your dog does it will lock the truck. If you do that, the door WILL lock with the FOB inside and if all the other doors are locked you are hooped.

RWlRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 4X4 - Replaced 12-31-17 with '04 1500 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi.....wow what a difference 10 years makes.....
I wrapped my backup-FOB in aluminum and hid it in the truck, I have a key hidden in a magnetic box on the frame and also carry a key with me separate from the FOB that I use on a daily basis. Several fail-safe steps to keep me from having issues. At this point, if I got locked out, it was destiny.

The two times I had an issue, it happened with other vehicles, they happened in very remote locations (one in Mexico and one in the desert in Nevada), both with zero cell coverage so I am very aware of how complicated it can get, especially with a FOB.
If I'm not mistaken on how the FOB works, as long as that FOB is in the vehicle, it can be started and driven away if broken into?
How can you lock the doors if it's in the vehicle?
I guess you can manually hit the buttons.
The FOB is transmitting as long as it has power, which is another thing to consider if it's stashed in the truck how will you know when the battery is done....

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
on my 2018 Ram -if I should leave my fob in the truck and close the door, the horn let's me know I left the fob in it and locks open for me.
Careful, that system only disarms locks 3 times, or at least on MY 19 does. FYI, U CAN LOCK yer keys into newer trucks like MY 19 if U leave keys in console and say" hit the actual" button and close door. Keys stay locked inside, with engine running, FYI...

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If I'm not mistaken on how the FOB works, as long as that FOB is in the vehicle, it can be started and driven away if broken into?
I guess you can manually hit the buttons.
The FOB is transmitting as long as it has power, which is another thing to consider if it's stashed in the truck how will you know when the battery is done....
If you have one fob on you and leave the other in the truck you can lock it with the lock button on the fob you have or with the power lock button on the arm rest. We tried that too the other day just to check out all the scenarios.

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
He said he has his emergency FOB wrapped in aluminum foil which, presumably, acts as a Faraday Cage and prevents RF emissions

rbsailor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
We have a 2015 1500 Laramie ED. It will not allow you to lock the keys inside the vehicle. No matter how you try to lock the truck, it will just unlock itself if the key is inside the vehicle.